UtterAccess.com
X   Site Message
(Message will auto close in 2 seconds)

Welcome to UtterAccess! Please ( Login   or   Register )

Custom Search

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Powerpoint Quiz With No Looking Back, Office 2013    

len811
post Dec 28 2015, 11:02 AM
Post#1

I have quiz in PowerPoint with Visual Basic routines that asks questions, checks answers, and keeps score. However, the quiz taker can go back to a quiz slide and answer again! How to prevent quiz taker from returning to slide (e.g., use of Page Up or right-click)?
Go to the top of the page

sirluke34
post Jan 6 2016, 10:13 AM
Post#2

Have you tried putting the slide show in Kiosk mode? This will prevent keyboard or mouse clicks to advance or retreat to another slide.
On the ribbon, Slide Show > Set up Slide Show > check box for kiosk mode (fullscreen)

Hopefully, you have buttons on your slides that advance the user to the next slide. If not, this method seems like the simplest to control where the user can go.

len811
post Jan 6 2016, 11:14 AM
Post#3

That works well, although I needed to add a button to go to next slide as you suggested (and likely add a button to go back a slide, except for the quiz slides). Thanks.

Another solution is to put the quiz in Visual Basic and password protect that. However, this requires knowledge of Visual Basic. I made a code template that lets the creator type in his questions and answers without knowledge of Visual Basic. One may also indicate the number of questions, the points per questions, and a passing score. Then, a pass/fail is reported and an email is set up to send results to a designated email recipient. This keeps the quiz taker from access to the quiz questions except when taking the quiz. I learned enough Visual Basic to do that.

doctor9
post Jan 6 2016, 11:26 AM
Post#4

UtterAccess Editor

Len,

We have a couple of demos of this sort of thing in our Code Archive forum, if you have any experience with Access, you could probably customize one of those.

On a side note, I'm puzzled by the requirement to prevent users from going back to previous questions. Looking at it from the quiz taker's perspective, it's easy to imagine a situation where the answer to the current question is on the tip of your tongue, and you feel like if you could just skip it and go back to it later, you'd get the answer. Preventing the user from doing this seems a bit harsh is all. Just my two cents.

Dennis

len811
post Jan 6 2016, 11:35 AM
Post#5

In the way I had it set up in PowerPoint, the quiz taker was notified after each answer as to whether right or wrong. If wrong, he could go back and answer correctly. I was counting (only) correct answers, so the quiz taker would always score 100% by going back and answering correctly. Of course, I could not notify after each answer; or use a more complicated approach.

doctor9
post Jan 6 2016, 11:58 AM
Post#6

UtterAccess Editor

Len,

I understand the design - many online quizzes are like that. I'm just suggesting you might want to allow the user to SKIP a question without answering it, and come back to it later. Without knowing the nature of what you're doing, this may not be desirable, but I thought it worth mentioning, just in case.

Dennis

Custom Search
RSSSearch   Top   Lo-Fi    16th December 2017 - 01:37 PM