UtterAccess.com
X   Site Message
(Message will auto close in 2 seconds)

Welcome to UtterAccess! Please ( Login   or   Register )

Custom Search
2 Pages V < 1 2  (Go to first unread post)
   Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Reinstalled Os And Mysql. How To Use Existing Data?, 5    

MCL1981
post Feb 17 2016, 09:08 PM
Post#21

Honestly I don't recall ever even seeing an option somewhere for IP address or skip networking. What would that even be for??
Go to the top of the page

cheekybuddha
post Feb 18 2016, 05:48 AM
Post#22

UtterAccess VIP

>> What would that even be for?? <<

It's for security and performance. Often a server will only require local connections (eg from a webserver on the same server), and it's actually a security risk to open up the ability to connect from elsewhere on the network, if not necessary.

So you might find that the bind-address is 'localhost' or '127.0.0.1'. To accept connections from elsewhere on the network this needs to be something like '192.168.1.1' (the ip address of the server box)

Also, on Unixy boxes connecting using sockets is actually quicker than connections via TCP - so you can specify SKIP-NETWORKING in the conf file. On Windows, I think the equivalent is a Named Pipe. It may be that the default conf file for 5.7.7 now uses SKIP-NETWORKING as default - I can't remember.

Can you share your my.ini. file without getting fired or arrested? Probably not.

d

cheekybuddha
post Feb 18 2016, 06:29 AM
Post#23

UtterAccess VIP

Also, I meant to ask whether you checked you hadn't ovewritten your users again when doing the restore (sorry, if a stupid question)

d

MCL1981
post Feb 18 2016, 04:41 PM
Post#24

Fully restored.

I found the mysqlfrm utility and it saved my life! This command line tool can reverse engineer the FRM files and spit out the create view statements! They're not perfect and require a lot of tweaking. But with some find/replace magic, I was able to make a huge series of CREATE OR REPLACE VIEW statements. Bing bang boom done.

I still have a separate, unrelated problem with the Windows firewall related to group policy changes. Nothing we can do about that on here though. Thank you all for your help.

cheekybuddha
post Feb 18 2016, 05:15 PM
Post#25

UtterAccess VIP

Awesome! Glad you got it sorted.

I once also had to restore by extracting definitions from .frm files. Over 100 tables. I ended up writing some VBA to loop through and process them!

Make sure you are taking good backups now! Remember to include the --routines --triggers switches too if using mysqldump.

I still have nightmares of the blinking "no boot device"! For me it meant that my HD was about to die irreparably. blush.gif

thumbup.gif

d

MCL1981
post Feb 18 2016, 09:07 PM
Post#26

I thought about writing some VBA to do that too. But it would have taken longer than the find/replace dance for what I had in front of me. 100 tables, most definitely would have. I ran a dump and it worked properly, completely, and as intended. There must have been a bug up it's friend on the old 5.0 instance. Just need to get my batch file that runs the dump twice a day adjusted for 5.7 now.

Since I have no control over enterprise updates, I keep the operating system and applications on a RAID array (C:\) and a separate RAID array for the data storage. That way when windows or an application goes belly up, it can't take my data with it. The RAID arrays also let me survive a typical disk failure without interruption. It ran non-stop with only a few reboots for the last 3 years without a single hardware or software hiccup. And the machine is 9 years old sitting in an office.

2 Pages V < 1 2

Custom Search
RSSSearch   Top   Lo-Fi    14th December 2017 - 01:15 AM