UtterAccess.com
X   Site Message
(Message will auto close in 2 seconds)

Welcome to UtterAccess! Please ( Login   or   Register )

Custom Search

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Erd Database Diagram - Metadata Not Available For Visio 2013, Visio 2010 and 2013    

PaulinRhody
post Feb 17 2016, 10:31 AM
Post#1

I created an ERD Database Diagram in Visio 2010 on my home computer. I was able to enter metadata detail for each field in each table.

After my company put Visio 2013 on a computer for me, I sent myself the file and opened it on the work computer. The diagram came up, but I didn't see any of the metadata. I did get an error that said that some of the features wouldn't work in Visio 2013 because the file had been created by an earlier version of Visio, and the features are no longer supported. I couldn't find any way to enable an option where I could view the metadata. So, I am guess that is one of those features not supported.

My solution was to ask IT if they could give me Visio 2010. They said they believed that they have 2007 but not 2010. I have two questions.

1. If I go with 2007, will the metadata feature be available?

2. If I just start from scratch in Visio 2013 with a new file (though obviously annoying), would I be able to view the metadata?

The reason I ask the second question is that, when looking at comparison of versions (https://products.office.com/en-us/visio/microsoft-visio-visio-version-comparison), one of the features that is not only mentioned but "improved" is:
"Fluent drawing experience—flyout shapes, inserting and deleting shapes with connection healing, and changing shape while preserving diagram layout and shape metadata."

I was wondering if maybe the reason I couldn't see the metadata was because the features are just not compatible with each other. So, by creating a new file in Visio 2013, it might work? My other thought was that "preserving diagram layout and shape metadata" was referring not to the metadata of individual fields I am adding to the shapes but Visio metadata about the actual shapes.

I appreciate any help.

Paul
Go to the top of the page

GroverParkGeorge
post Feb 17 2016, 10:52 AM
Post#2

UA Admin

Unfortunately, I believe that 2013 does not support ERD metadata.

Perhaps 2007 would be your best bet.

There are other tools, though, that might do a good job with ERDs. I can't recommend one, but I believe other members here have done so. I expect one of them will drop by.

PaulinRhody
post Feb 17 2016, 11:56 AM
Post#3

Thanks very much.

orange999
post Feb 17 2016, 01:00 PM
Post#4

I don't use Visio for ERD work, but I found this youtube video that says Visio 2013 is very different than 2010.
You may find other info in the tutorial re metadata, (I didn't watch the entire video), or try other Visio tutorials on youtube to find some help for your situation.

Good luck.

nvogel
post Feb 17 2016, 02:38 PM
Post#5

Sparx Enterprise Architect is what I use at the moment. I have used others (ERWin, ER Studio, PowerDesigner) but Sparx EA is the cheapest of that bunch and in my view it's very good value. Much superior to Visio I think.

PaulinRhody
post Feb 17 2016, 03:13 PM
Post#6

Thanks Orange999. I'll check the video out when I get home. (Our network restricts access to YouTube.)

PaulinRhody
post Feb 17 2016, 03:17 PM
Post#7

Thanks for the suggestion NVogel.

Do you know if Sparx Enterprise Architect has the ability to do and ERD for databases? Specifically, the feature I am looking at allows you to enter the fields into entities (tables) and then you are able to write the metadata for each field.

nvogel
post Feb 18 2016, 04:58 AM
Post#8

You can do Chen-style ERDs or you can use the UML diagram feature with Information Engineering style notation so that the diagram looks like an ERD. You can also add metadata (create your own tags) for each table and attribute - although the steps you have to go through are a bit fiddly. You can download an evaluation version and try it out.

PaulinRhody
post Feb 18 2016, 09:10 AM
Post#9

That's great. Thanks again for the help.

Custom Search
RSSSearch   Top   Lo-Fi    15th December 2017 - 02:46 PM