UtterAccess.com
X   Site Message
(Message will auto close in 2 seconds)

Welcome to UtterAccess! Please ( Login   or   Register )

Custom Search

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Populate Form Based On Audit Trail    

latiesh
post Mar 23 2016, 04:57 PM
Post#1

Currently I have a form on my front end that allows users enter to log interdepartmental requests in the request table, the form and table are linked to an audit trail table that records the user id of the employee entering or editing the request, I wrote a code that converts the user id to user's based on the comparative information.

I am now trying to link both tables, so that I can auto populate the requester's name once the create a new record to display them as the requester. I've tried a few thing but I don't seem to be successful.
Go to the top of the page

Jeff B.
post Mar 23 2016, 05:10 PM
Post#2

UtterAccess VIP

If you'll describe a bit more what you've already tried, and what your underlying data structure is, we may be able to offer more appropriate suggestions...

latiesh
post Mar 24 2016, 11:07 AM
Post#3

I tried modify two codes that had for other purposes, but can't seem to get them to function.

Okay, here's exactly what I am trying to do:

I have a form that other dept. go in to submit requests to be actioned by another department. Currently I have combo box where the requester would select their name from the menu to identify them as the requester so that when the request is completed we know who to forward the information to. However we are having issues where persons are going into the database and are requesting things on others behalf and they do not know. So to eliminate this problem I want that whenever a user selects to create a new record the requester field is automatically populated with their name based on their associated user id.

I hope this adds more clarity for what I'm looking for.

ScottGem
post Mar 24 2016, 11:44 AM
Post#4

UtterAccess VIP / UA Clown

First you posted this in the VB forum. Are you using Access at all?

Second, from a database design standpoint. The audit trail should should have a foreign key that links back to a users table. If you need the user's name you use a query that joins the tables.

After that its unclear exactly what you have and what you are trying to do.

latiesh
post Mar 24 2016, 12:00 PM
Post#5

Yes I do, I am just still in the early stages. I did not see the module forum until later on and I had already posted and didn't want to repost.

Nonetheless, my module is functioning for the audit trail. I attempted to link the tables and get the form to pull the user id to the form on the front end but when I do the entire form went blank. So I was thinking of just writing another module specific to this purpose. Any suggestions?

ScottGem
post Mar 24 2016, 12:54 PM
Post#6

Ok, so how did you try to link them.

Also an audit trail is generally an admin tool. its not something you want users to have access to.

latiesh
post Mar 30 2016, 01:50 PM
Post#7

I have already linked them and when I created a query I got it to do what I wanted. I am not giving users access to the audit trail. Ideally, all I want to do it add 1 of the results from my query to the form pulled from another table. But I can't seem to do that... :|

ScottGem
post Mar 31 2016, 06:21 AM
Post#8

Use a subform

Custom Search
RSSSearch   Top   Lo-Fi    12th December 2017 - 08:26 PM