UtterAccess.com
X   Site Message
(Message will auto close in 2 seconds)

Welcome to UtterAccess! Please ( Login   or   Register )

Custom Search

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Starting Power Pi Desktop From/in Access?, Access 2010 +    

cocoflipper
post Apr 14 2016, 04:26 PM
Post#1

Hi all,

I present other Office app file (word docs, excel spreadsheet, power point) or pdf or URL or through the webbrowser control like so:

- webBrowser.Navigate2 URLInWorkspace

Is there a way to utilize Power BI desktop the same way?

What I'm thinking is that the user will utilize Power BI through a subform I have in the Access app, connect to the be data file via this connection, then manipulate the Power BI app to use the data stored in the Access tables directly through the app. Would be a great way for the user to enter data, then utilize the Power BI app directly through the same Access app to create their own reports using the data they just entered through the menus.

Just a thought - want to see it it's been done before.

Thanks for any input!
Go to the top of the page

cocoflipper
post Apr 18 2016, 12:00 PM
Post#2

Hi ,

Anyone working with Power BI out there? ...perhaps can weigh in on this topic?

cocoflipper
post Apr 26 2016, 10:41 AM
Post#3

Nobody working with Power BI? or want to weigh in?

Last call! smile.gif

MadPiet
post May 5 2016, 12:44 AM
Post#4

I think you would have to publish the PowerBI report to your server and then you could probably just put the URL in your hyperlink from Access. Where are you publishing your reports?

MadPiet
post May 5 2016, 01:53 AM
Post#5

For what it's worth, I found that I could use this code to open a PowerBI Desktop file from Access.

CODE
?fHandleFile("C:\Users\YourUserName\Documents\PowerBI Learning\SUMMARIZE function.pbix", Win_NORMAL)

Hope that helps a little. (Now if I could just figure out how to make the font in the tablix bigger!!!)

cocoflipper
post May 10 2016, 03:10 PM
Post#6

Thanks for your input MadPiet, I was hoping that I could fold in the PowerBI app into the webbrowser control in my workspace (with is the subform of the menu form), but it looks like opening the .pbix file fires up the desktop version. I was hoping to give my users a refined report -creation option from within my app, but I think that I may have to go the other route which is using the URL in that same workspace, which I've done before and works well. I was just looking for a way to combine the capabilities of Power BI to allow the user to create their own reports - basically a "roll your own" scenario if they do not like what I've provided.

One thought is to provide them with a group of canned .pbix reports that I publish to my hosted server, then incorporate that into a modifiable scenario, where users can take what I did and create their own. Then would have to have an Power BI account and save their reports to their own server..... just thoughts at the moment,....I'll play around with it.

Thanks again!

Custom Search
RSSSearch   Top   Lo-Fi    16th December 2017 - 07:21 PM