UtterAccess.com
X   Site Message
(Message will auto close in 2 seconds)

Welcome to UtterAccess! Please ( Login   or   Register )

Custom Search

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Has Ms Just Broken Xcopy?, Windows 10    

dmhzx
post Apr 28 2016, 11:05 AM
Post#1

This one has me baffled, unless anyone has heard of Win 10 breaking xCopy:

I have a little backup utility (FE/BE), which basically runs this command

Xcopy "\\192.168.128.136\DVAdminSupport" "e:\Backups\TMS04Thu" /f /c /d /e /h /i /j /k /r /s /y /z.

It has been running just fine on our machines, but has suddenly stopped working on the Windows 10 ones.
On Win 7 it works a treat, but on win 10 we get "Invalid Drive Specification" ( all of a sudden!)

I know we can get to the network drive, or the rest of the Access applications wouldn't work.
It has to be the network path, because if it was the external drive, the application throws an error.

Has anyone heard of a recent update 'feature' on win 10 that has messed things up?
Maybe MS deciding that it's not going to allow me to run my data over my system?

All pointers and tips welcome.

Thanks
David
Go to the top of the page

BitBangerUSA
post Apr 28 2016, 11:53 AM
Post#2

google search indicates perhaps permissions on the files/directories as being involved.

also, i noted that the /s and /e switches on your xcopy command seem to be direct opposites...

dmhzx
post Apr 28 2016, 04:35 PM
Post#3

Thanks for the suggestions BritBanger.

I'd go along with the idea of permissions but:
It ran perfectly OK an all machines a while ago.
It runs perfectly OK on a win 7 machine, but none of the win 10 machines.
And I'm just wondering if Microsfot's paranoia about anything reached by an IP address has just been forcibly added to win 10.
And if so, will the entire application crash in a few weeks?

(It is IMPOSSIBLE to set a network area as trusted if you address it by IP address - and it's not much a logic jump to stop anything working that has a back end so addressed)

BitBangerUSA
post Apr 28 2016, 05:14 PM
Post#4

i'll try a similar copy in about 3 hours from both Win7 and win10...

BitBangerUSA
post Apr 28 2016, 09:23 PM
Post#5

i was able to copy both directions between win7 and win10 machines using xcopy with an ip address.

still leaves you with *why* it no longer works for you, but i think you can rule out MS trying to protect the machine.

edit: it may not be relevant, but i have Win7 Ultimate and Win10 Pro.

dmhzx
post Apr 29 2016, 02:22 AM
Post#6

Many thanks for trying that. thumbup.gif

I'd heard so many stories about the latest Win 10 update, that I thought it worth checking that route: - Because I can't think of any other reason.
I'm away from that environment till Tuesday, so I have a few days to think of what could have gone wrong.
I think all was well up to about three weeks ago.
The back up failed on one machine, Win 10 and with the BE converted to SQL, so I just moved the disk to a Win 7 machine on Access,.
But yesterday a Win 10 machine failed with an Access BE.

Re the command line switches: I think I got those from the web: But it's all been working OK for months. (And is OK on Win7)

So the common element so far on the failure side is Win 10 ( which I know has had updates.)

BitBangerUSA
post Apr 29 2016, 09:08 AM
Post#7

have you considered trying robocopy in place of xcopy?

if it is something MS has done (perhaps down at the api level), i would think that would fail same-same as xcopy.

my xcopy and robocopy on the Win 10 machine are both dated 10/30/2015.

dmhzx
post May 4 2016, 03:25 AM
Post#8

I'm now convinced that the overbearing arrogance department has indeed been messing about with windows 10.
I just mapped the drive that wouldn't work as an IP address to a drive letter, and hey presto
xcopy works just fine.

So all I need to do now is to find out which of their 'updates for my safety and security' has screwed up our system. - And' apart from irritating me, and deciding the MS knows more about my data and my network than I do , and I have to be protected from myself WHY they did it?? And if there's a way round it.

OH, and to make sure that all people who are going to use this utility for the team have the same drive mapping.

dmhzx
post May 9 2016, 04:53 AM
Post#9

Imagine my surprise this morning.

My backups this morning, mapped using the IP address for the server has started working again.

(Plays music from the twilight zone TV series, and genuflects in the general direction of the cotton bag containing the chicken bones)

Custom Search
RSSSearch   Top   Lo-Fi    18th December 2017 - 11:43 AM