UtterAccess.com
X   Site Message
(Message will auto close in 2 seconds)

Welcome to UtterAccess! Please ( Login   or   Register )

Custom Search

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> I Need Some General Advice    

jabez
post May 9 2016, 09:36 AM
Post#1

I have worked in MS Access for more than a decade and I'm comfortable designing and building desktop apps in MS Access (latest version I used = 2013). I have now inherited a project, which is a web application: SQL database - C# - aspx. Where do I start? Should I re-learn everything and continue with C# and aspx pages, or is there some other option...?

I appreciate your advice.

J
Go to the top of the page

theDBguy
post May 9 2016, 09:40 AM
Post#2

Access Wiki and Forums Moderator

Hi J. Not sure I understand your question. Access is a desktop application. You have a new project, which is a web application using C#. What is your goal with the new project? Do you want to convert it into a desktop application or continue to maintain it as a web application?

AlbertKallal
post May 9 2016, 12:41 PM
Post#3

UtterAccess VIP

I don’t see how you can just out of the blue decide to re-write an application that potently cost the company many years to write and create.

I mean if you walk into a company that been developing FoxPro applications for the last 10 years, then likely 10+ years of developer time went into those applications. It is IMPOSSIBLE to assume that you can now re-write and re-do all those FoxPro databases in Access. Selling the boss that you about to throw out 10 years of work and start over makes very little sense. And how would spending all that money and time benefit the company?

A company will ONLY hire you if the cost of your value and services is LESS than the benefits to the company!

So if your job requires to you maintains a web project, then you’re going to have to either dump the project and start over, or simply learn the tools that the project was developed with. And attempting to justify tossing out good perfectly working software is difficult.

It would have been REALLY nice if the project was vb.net, as then the learning curve would be rather short for you (the syntax is like VBA). So vb.net would have “softened” the blow of learning Visual Studio + asp.net. Having to learn asp.net + c# and likely SQL server all at the same time is a challenge.

So you could adopt any web development system, but that hardly gives you any value to your employer who has an EXISTING system written in say FoxPro, or Access, or in this case c# + asp.net.

I doubt it feasible to dump the existing .net project and re-write everything at ZERO VALUE to the company in some other system?

I suppose it depends on how large the project is, but some considerable learning curves will exist to learn a new web platform, and I can’t imagine you investing your time into some alterative web development platform that leaves you WITHOUT the required skill set to maintain that existing application.

So in theory, this is not really a web development question, but if the company was using desktop FoxPro for years, you can hardly suggest to dump all the existing applications and replace them with Access. Worse, who will maintain the FoxPro applications while you make this transition? And why would the company re-write perfectly existing good software they already paid for and works just fine?

You can expand on your question and perhaps I missed what you are asking, but you can no more walk into a company handing you an ALREADY existing project to maintain, and attempt to maintain that application without the required skill set.

So I really don’t see this as a web based question, but just a question of how you going to maintain an application you been given the job to maintain. You simply need to obtain the required skill set to maintain that project, and you have to learn some new web development stack – might as well learn what the existing system was built with.

Regards,
Albert D. Kallal (Access MVP)
Edmonton, Alberta Canada
kallal@msn.com

nvogel
post May 9 2016, 01:25 PM
Post#4

Jabez, it sounds like a good opportunity to learn something new if you are willing to put in the effort. I agree with Albert. Access isn't really an option if it's a web application and if the solution is working broadly as required then there's no obvious justification for rewriting it. I would sound out the user/customer as to what future changes and enhancements they expect will be required. When you know that, you can better decide how effectively you can take that work on and whether you'll need some extra help.

Custom Search
RSSSearch   Top   Lo-Fi    16th December 2017 - 09:56 AM