UtterAccess.com
X   Site Message
(Message will auto close in 2 seconds)

Welcome to UtterAccess! Please ( Login   or   Register )

Custom Search

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Accessing A Remote Database From Two Pc's, Any Versions    

bxgti4x4
post Jun 21 2016, 05:38 AM
Post#1

I am running my Access 2003 Database in Dropbox and I use both my PC and my laptop for accessing it. Both computers are running Windows 10.

I generally access the DB via my home PC but, when I use the Laptop and then access the DB again from my PC, I find a new .mdb file in the folder entitled "conflicted copy from John Laptop". I'm not sure what this means and would be grateful if someone could explain how I can stop this message happening.

Kind regards
John
Go to the top of the page

LPurvis
post Jun 21 2016, 06:42 AM
Post#2

UtterAccess Editor

Hi

I've begged and pleased with clients (well, one client of a client) not to do this.
It may seem like this super-convenient solution to use DropBox. If you're going to try to, you need to be intensely regimented about your use.
DropBox runs a service on your PC which maintains a copy of a file which is synchronised at regular intervals, keeping all versions of that folder updated which are shared with different PCs.
It can't reconcile concurrent usage (heck, even Jet replication couldn't always do that!)
If you can be 100% sure that all use of the file has ended everywhere else before initiating use of it on another PC, then you might get away with it. (But you're still at the mercy of what DropBox determines to be discrepancies in the file.)

When I've seen this go wrong (and it does - as you've found), that was even with just the data backend in the DropBox folder. While better than a non-split solution, you've also less control of when locks are released upon it.
I get that DropBox feels like it's a solution, but it's an almost solution. Hosting your DB and application in one location (on one PC/Server and accessing that machine remotely) or on an online hosted database (such as SQL Azure) would give you a more robust solution.

Cheers

bxgti4x4
post Jun 21 2016, 12:20 PM
Post#3

Hi Leigh

Thanks very much for the information, I had no idea that I was causing myself problems. I guess I'll just have to keep it on my PC at home - SQL Azure is rather costly for a small DB like mine which I use for my home accounts. Can you suggest any less expensive alternatives?

Kind regards
John

LPurvis
post Jun 22 2016, 03:12 AM
Post#4

UtterAccess Editor

Hi

As I say, you could possibly stumble on with a solution like DropBox, but you'd need to be intensely careful, and even then... :-s
If you have any soft of web hosting (for your own website perhaps) it's worth checking with your ISP that if it comes with any amount of default database storage. (Likely MySQL or, perhaps, MS SQL.)
At least then you'd not be paying anything extra. You'll need to pay something for the service otherwise. (There may also be cheaper hosting options than SQL Azure.)

Other than that:
Remote access options to your PC.
Carry it around with you on a stick?
Have your own server with a fixed IP address, install MS SQL on it and expose its relevant posts to the internet (about as scary as it sounds lol).
If you have an Office 365 subscription, consider a move to AWA or SharePoint hosted tables at least? (Not my bag, can't advise you further.)

When I've encountered a firm trying to do just this, and they persist in trying and then ask what else they should do then... I'm afraid ultimately my answer is "Put your hand in your pocket!"
They assume that, for some reason, there should be a free way of doing this. It's a service they want to achieve... why would they assume there's a free way of doing it? :-s Bizzarre.

In your case, being just for home use, it's not as clear cut advice. :-s

Cheers

bxgti4x4
post Jun 22 2016, 05:02 AM
Post#5

Thanks Leigh, you've given me some ideas. I really appreciate the trouble you have taken to answer my question.

Kind regards
John

Custom Search
RSSSearch   Top   Lo-Fi    11th December 2017 - 09:33 PM