UtterAccess.com
X   Site Message
(Message will auto close in 2 seconds)

Welcome to UtterAccess! Please ( Login   or   Register )

Custom Search

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Decompile?    

tina t
post Jun 23 2016, 06:24 PM
Post#1

hi folks, i don't know anything about VB6, really, and don't write programs in it. however, i do use a VB6 program at my job, and the IT folks tell me that when they make changes to the program, it takes hours (literally, about 7, they say) for it to compile. they don't know why it takes so long. so i told them i'd post a couple questions on their behalf:

1) is that normal, for a VB6 program to take so long to compile?
2) could add-ins have anything to do with it taking so long?
3) i just recently learned about decompiling/recompiling Access databases. is a decompile possible on a VB6 program? if so, is it helpful/advisable? if so, how do you do it?

any information or comments are gratefully received, folks, thanks!

tina
Go to the top of the page

PhilS
post Jun 24 2016, 03:31 AM
Post#2

1) is that normal, for a VB6 program to take so long to compile?

No, absolutely not. If you had said it takes 7 minutes, I'd said; yeah, possible, but 7 hours?! - No way!
Obviously, it depends on the size of the program, but that is excessive beyond any comparison.

The only info I found on such excessive build times it this thread on the VBForums.

2) could add-ins have anything to do with it taking so long?

Maybe, but unlikely. - Please be more specific on what add-ins are used and what they do.

3) i just recently learned about decompiling/recompiling Access databases. is a decompile possible on a VB6 program? if so, is it helpful/advisable? if so, how do you do it?

With VB you have got the source code in plain text files and the compiled program in machine code. Other than with Access there is nothing in-between, which might need decompiling. (Except during the compilation process and a debug session).
Unless the program is compiled to P-Code (a intermediary byte code, which was used up to VB4) it is technically impossible (with reasonable effort) to decompile a VB-program. Anyway, unless your objective is to restore lost source code, there is absolutely nothing to gain by decompiling a VB-program.

Jeff B.
post Jun 24 2016, 06:29 AM
Post#3

UtterAccess VIP

Your post didn't mention where the db is located. I've noticed considerably longer Compile and Compact & Repair times if I work over the network (compared to working on a local PC).

tina t
post Jun 24 2016, 06:59 PM
Post#4

Phil and Jeff, thanks for responding. i've passed your comments and questions on to the IT guys at my job. if they want to answer your questions, and/or pass on any other info for me to post, i will - and hopefully you guys or somebody else will see it and have time to post back.

thanks again! :)
tina

Custom Search
RSSSearch   Top   Lo-Fi    18th December 2017 - 07:54 AM