UtterAccess.com
X   Site Message
(Message will auto close in 2 seconds)

Welcome to UtterAccess! Please ( Login   or   Register )

Custom Search

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Remote Printer, Windows 7    

DT_madness
post Jul 13 2016, 06:48 AM
Post#1

Hi, all.

I have a printer connected to a desktop that I can remote into. On my old laptop I used to be able to print using that printer without remoting in to it. I'd be on my laptop, hit print, and it'd work. My laptop had to be replaced and now I'm trying to set my new laptop up in the same fashion. It's been almost three years so the process eludes me.

I do have the printers checked under Remote Desktop Connection/Local Resources. I don't have the driver installed but don't remember if I had it on my old laptop since the printer is connected to the desktop.

Any assistance is greatly appreciated. I almost (almost) have this new laptop setup like the old one and this is one of the last two items I need to handle.

Thanks.

DT_Madness
Go to the top of the page

RuralGuy
post Jul 13 2016, 09:52 AM
Post#2

UtterAccess VIP

So you are saying the printer is on the same local network as your laptop, right?

DT_madness
post Jul 13 2016, 12:27 PM
Post#3

The printer is connected directly to the desktop and not on the network. Has been since I got it.

RuralGuy
post Jul 13 2016, 12:33 PM
Post#4

UtterAccess VIP

You said this: "On my old laptop I used to be able to print using that printer without remoting in to it" which led me to believe it was on the same network. Is the Desktop on the same network? Is the printer "shared"?

DT_madness
post Jul 13 2016, 12:37 PM
Post#5

Yes. I can remote in to the desktop and the printer comes up as shared during that remote process. I didn't have to connect to the desktop to print. The desktop is on the same network I'm on (corporate network).

RuralGuy
post Jul 13 2016, 12:45 PM
Post#6

UtterAccess VIP

What is the laptop OS? Have you tried to "add" that network printer to the laptop's printers yet?

DT_madness
post Jul 13 2016, 12:51 PM
Post#7

Both are running Win7 and both just got upgraded to Office 2016. I didn't try adding it as a network printer because the printer isn't "technically" connect to the network. i.e. if I search available network printers I see all the big machines that everyone else uses but not the one on my desk.

RuralGuy
post Jul 13 2016, 02:54 PM
Post#8

UtterAccess VIP

If you share a local printer on the network it should be visible from other machines on that same network. See if you can see the printer on the network of the machine to which it is attached.

RuralGuy
post Jul 13 2016, 03:04 PM
Post#9

UtterAccess VIP

If you know the complete UNC name of the printer, then key it in when adding a printer. It should work. Sometimes the discovery on the network can be slow.

DT_madness
post Jul 20 2016, 01:33 PM
Post#10

While having level 2 IT install an ODBC driver I commented about my printer. He went to Win Explorer, threw in a \\ and the ip address and there was my printer. He brought it over that way. I can now print from my laptop through the desktop printer. Yippee-yeah!

RuralGuy
post Jul 20 2016, 03:16 PM
Post#11

UtterAccess VIP

Outstanding! Thanks for posting back with your success and solution.

Custom Search
RSSSearch   Top   Lo-Fi    14th December 2017 - 01:14 AM