UtterAccess.com
X   Site Message
(Message will auto close in 2 seconds)

Welcome to UtterAccess! Please ( Login   or   Register )

Custom Search
2 Pages V  1 2 >  (Go to first unread post)
   Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Song Suggestions    

doctor9
post Aug 4 2016, 01:21 PM
Post#1

UtterAccess Editor

So, I'm going to be singing in my local version of the Concert Across America to End Gun Violence this September. The organizers are hoping for two or three songs, at least one of which should fit the anti-gun-violence theme.

So, my first instinct was to do one of the classic anti-war songs like "Imagine" or "Give Peace a Chance"... but I'm wondering if there are popular songs out there that are more geared towards gun violence in a non-war context. I'm sure this means delving into the lower echelons of the Top 40 hits of the past, but if I can find one or two less obvious choices that people will react with "oh YEAH, that's a great choice" it'll be more meaningful.

Any thoughts, music lovers?

My short list so far:
American Skin (41 Shots) - Bruce Springsteen
Happiness Is A Warm Gun - The Beatles
Love Is A Good Thing - Sheryl Crow

Dennis
Go to the top of the page

LeeAnn
post Aug 5 2016, 08:24 AM
Post#2

Knocking on Heavens Door (the original), I think that fits in. Just a suggestion.

doctor9
post Aug 5 2016, 09:05 AM
Post#3

UtterAccess Editor

Lee Ann,

That's exactly the sort of thing I'm looking for. thumbup.gif

Dennis

cheekybuddha
post Aug 5 2016, 11:17 AM
Post#4

UtterAccess VIP

Hi Dennis,

Taking your suggestions a bit literally, perhaps a little out of your musical spectrum:
Anti-gun violence
Park yuh guns - Norrisman
Police and Thieves - Junior Murvin
or The Clash version

Anti-war:
War - Edwin Starr version
... covered by everyone, even The Boss

Not sure whether they'll be your bag, but I've had fun trawling a few old tunes this afternoon!

cool.gif

d

doctor9
post Aug 5 2016, 02:22 PM
Post#5

UtterAccess Editor

David,

Good point... I should probably have mentioned that I'm a guy with an acoustic guitar and a microphone. My voice is more "pretty" than "rock and roll" so I tend to do a lot of ballads. smile.gif Not really able to do bigger production numbers that require harmonies, bass solos, etc. smile.gif

Dennis

R_Durrer
post Aug 5 2016, 02:55 PM
Post#6

More of an alternative fan, but the Nick Lowe one should fit what you define as your strengths.

God is a bullet by Concrete Blonde. I can't find a good acoustic version I'm afraid, but a perfect song for a stop gun violence night imho https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aNZpkimAZSI
What's so funny about peace, love and understanding? (Nick Lowe version for easier arrangement, not Elvis Costello) https://youtu.be/lAqAmLSIGU8

I really like the Happiness is a warm gun choice. Great tune!

doctor9
post Aug 5 2016, 02:59 PM
Post#7

UtterAccess Editor

Oooh, "What's So Funny About Peace Love and Understanding!" I remember Elvis Costello covered that for a Christmas special a few years back... That could be a great choice, if only because no one else will probably think of it.

Dennis

PhilS
post Aug 5 2016, 05:34 PM
Post#8

....gun violence in a non-war context.

The first song that came to my mind is Hey Joe.

dflak
post Aug 10 2016, 03:48 PM
Post#9

Utter Access VIP

Give me Three Steps - Lynyrd Skynyrd.

tina t
post Aug 11 2016, 12:40 AM
Post#10

Blowin' in the Wind - Peter, Paul & Mary

Dennis, have you thought about taking a well-known song with similar theme, and changing bits of the lyrics to suit your purpose more directly? tina

JVanKirk
post Aug 23 2016, 03:23 PM
Post#11

UtterAccess VIP

Sing songs to raise awareness of mental illness and the lack of adequate treatment for it and you'll solve far more than the gun violence issue....

But short of that, how about just anti-violence....Boston Marathon, no guns were used, OKC, no guns were used. Countless stabbings, vehicular manslaughter, bludgeoning, etc...all deaths without guns...leading one(or many) to suspect that an inanimate object is not the issue as much as the person wielding/operating the device.

CyberCow
post Aug 25 2016, 08:11 AM
Post#12

UdderAccess Admin + UA Ruler

"I Shot The Sheriff" - Eric Clapton

dmhzx
post Aug 25 2016, 10:08 AM
Post#13

An acoustic rendering of the rolling stones "Heartbreaker" maybe.

River59
post Aug 25 2016, 10:39 AM
Post#14

Poncho and Lefty ... written by Townes VanZandt, made popular by Willie Nelson, best version by Rosanne Cash.

RAZMaddaz
post Aug 25 2016, 11:52 AM
Post#15

UtterAccess VIP

Hi Dennis!!!

How about "Give Peace a Change" - John Lennon

RAZ

doctor9
post Aug 25 2016, 12:25 PM
Post#16

UtterAccess Editor

And River has won the prize for naming a song I've never heard of. Now I need to go look for it. smile.gif

Thanks everyone for the suggestions. The situation is that the organizers are aware that there's going to be some overlap with songs (we're now up to 4 locations with multiple acts at each one), so I've placed "dibs" on the Nick Lowe/Elvis Costello song, but if a larger (ahem, more famous) group also wants it, I've got a bunch here to use as a backup.

Dennis

River59
post Aug 25 2016, 12:30 PM
Post#17

Hahaha ... I can name some pretty obscure music, Dennis. Just had that one in mind since I watched the Willie Nelson, Gershwin Awards and Rosanne sang that. VanZandt was a prolific songwriter but most have not followed his music style. If you know him then you know Steve Earle ... but that would take us down another rabbit hole.

If you ever get around to doing a concert to stop violence against women I would recommend you look into Lucinda Williams ... A World Without Tears

doctor9
post Aug 25 2016, 12:53 PM
Post#18

UtterAccess Editor

River,

I feel like we need to meet someday and share a drink... smile.gif

Nothing better than falling down a new music rabbit hole. A couple of years ago I "discovered" K-Pop by accident, and now my iPod is full of stuff by artists like Neon Bunny, Block B, SHINee and Girls' Generation.

Dennis

River59
post Aug 25 2016, 12:58 PM
Post#19

I took a friend to see Taj Mahal last fall. She was mildly surprised how much she enjoyed his musical style. Nothing like those southern folk blues ...

LeeAnn
post Aug 26 2016, 10:21 AM
Post#20

My niece has a band called "And The Echo's". Her band comes from Oxford MS (OLE Miss land). I am not sure what category I would put her music in, maybe Indie Rock. I listened to some Indie Rock back on the 90's and her music is somewhat similar. She has some stuff on You Tube. I like "Smoke and Mirrors" which some was filmed in a club in Oxford. She comes to the coast once in a while and plays, but not very much. Take a listen to her music and let me know what all of you think.

2 Pages V  1 2 >

Custom Search
RSSSearch   Top   Lo-Fi    11th December 2017 - 09:34 PM