UtterAccess.com
X   Site Message
(Message will auto close in 2 seconds)

Welcome to UtterAccess! Please ( Login   or   Register )

Custom Search
2 Pages V < 1 2  (Go to first unread post)
   Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Song Suggestions    

tina t
post Aug 28 2016, 09:30 PM
Post#21

never heard of Lucinda Williams, River - good song, i got it on UTube. i think the lyrics word equally well for any kind of violence against persons, though...well, even against animals. there is no shortage of innocent victims anywhere in this world, unfortunately. tina
Go to the top of the page

dmhzx
post Aug 29 2016, 01:22 AM
Post#22

Bad Blood by the Bonzo Dog band possibly?

CyberCow
post Aug 29 2016, 09:14 PM
Post#23

UdderAccess Admin + UA Ruler

"DOA" by BloodRock . . . .

JonSmith
post Aug 30 2016, 07:10 AM
Post#24

Yo,

As a token younger guy I can provide one from recent years. I'll link to a lyric video as its hard to understand the singer otherwise but its all about a kid with an abusive Dad so he steals his gun and shoots up a school.
Pumped Up Kicks - Foster The People
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T3ldsF65cLM

Acoustic cover - Much easier to understand the singer!!!!!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UDScdPrf4N8

And I am very surprised to see no-one mentioned 'I don't like Mondays' by the Boomtown Rats which was written about Brenda Spencer shooting up a school and saying she did it because she didn't like Mondays. Its piano heavy but there are some acoustic covers that work.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Kobdb37Cwc

R_Durrer
post Aug 30 2016, 08:27 AM
Post#25

Nice pick on Foster the people, didn't think of that. Didn't think of "Mondays", mainly because of what he said his music strengths are, just like I didn't suggest Pearl Jam's "Jeremy" for mainly the same reason. However if you have a cool acoustic link to "I Don't like Mondays", that would be cool. Actually now that I think about it, didn't Pearl Jam do some live acoustic versions of "Jeremy" that might work?

River59
post Aug 30 2016, 09:33 AM
Post#26

Okay, Jon. That's enough of that. We don't have 'token' age groups here ... hahaha
Oh, f.y.i. I'm very familiar with the songs you mentioned. Age does not stop our love of music ... I always tell people ... there's a lot of music out there that I know I'm gonna like if I just get the chance to hear it.

doc9 - Any suggestions resonating with you yet or do you need more?

JVanKirk
post Aug 31 2016, 12:11 PM
Post#27

UtterAccess VIP

Poncho and Lefty!!? Awesome song...all the federales say, they could have got them any day....

I did a duet with my wife's uncle of that song one time..it was hilarious...Willie Nelson and Merle Haggard did it as well...it sounds great!

doctor9
post Aug 31 2016, 12:58 PM
Post#28

UtterAccess Editor

River,

> Any suggestions resonating with you yet or do you need more?

I'm currently scheduled to do Billie Jean by Michael Jackson (an acoustic arrangement based partly on the one done by Civil Wars) and What's So Funny 'Bout Peace, Love and Understanding by Nick Lowe.

I've had the Jackson song in my setlist for a couple of years, so I'm basically rehearsing it every weekend already. smile.gif I'm currently working on the Lowe song, figuring out all of the fancy little flourishes I can do that make a solo acoustic guitar arrangement more interesting to listen to. For example (warning: guitar speak ahead), there are times when the chord is a D, but instead of the standard xx0232 fingering, I'll play x54030, which is a C major fingering just moved up two frets, creating a cool D+4+9 sound that I'm very fond of. It can be even more effective if you play the C major chord, then squeeze real hard as you slide your hand up to the x54030 position, so the fretted strings continue to ring.

I love having these other song options though, because in my small town there are a few slightly bigger fish (i.e. more famous bands) who may want to do the Nick Lowe song as well, and they might not come up with the idea until later on. And rather than have two performances of the same song, I'd prefer to hand off the Nick Lowe song and pick a different one.

If nothing else, I've certainly got some cool new songs to pursue and enjoy in the near future! smile.gif

Dennis

River59
post Oct 14 2016, 01:46 PM
Post#29

Somehow I missed this post, doctor9. I was wondering what you choose to perform.

dmhzx
post Oct 14 2016, 06:05 PM
Post#30

Did anyone suggest \Rocky Racoon?

doctor9
post Oct 17 2016, 08:45 AM
Post#31

UtterAccess Editor

dmhzx,

Nobody had, but thanks!

The concert went really well, except the person who was shooting video of me kept receiving text messages during my performances. And - for reasons I can only guess at - text messages STOP video recording on her phone.

Dennis

River59
post Oct 17 2016, 09:13 AM
Post#32

Sorry to hear that, doctor9. Next time you will need a couple of backup videographers.
But don't feel too bad, I went to a concert and the cameraman (the shots were on huge screens) couldn't seem to figure out what he was supposed to be shooting. He would show a performer standing there while others were singing and players, etc.
The mandolin player was amazing but the camera was on his face instead of his amazing hands dancing over the strings.

doctor9
post Oct 17 2016, 09:18 AM
Post#33

UtterAccess Editor

River59,

I hear you. I saw Rush in concert last summer, and their cameraman was on point all night. The only time I want to look at the big screen when I'm at a live show is when I want a sweet closeup of that amazing guitar solo, so I can watch Alex perform something I can only fantasize about playing without making all sorts of ugly faces and almost-but-not-quite-there notes. smile.gif

This is what happens when you rely on someone with a phone, rather than a dedicated camera I guess. But really, who designs an OS to over-ride video recording because of an incoming text?

Dennis

nuclear_nick
post Oct 17 2016, 09:26 AM
Post#34

But really, who designs an OS to over-ride video recording because of an incoming text?

(Not that you really wanted an answer, right?)

Umm... someone looking to make money on the next version?

blush.gif

Sorry... enough of that. How was everyone else? Was there any other songs chosen that made you go... "Oh, didn't think of that one..."?

doctor9
post Oct 17 2016, 01:50 PM
Post#35

UtterAccess Editor

Nick,

Well, there was this one guy who did a cover of "Imagine" by John Lennon, but his vocal performance was unexpectedly heartfelt and soulful after the casual joking around I did with him backstage before he went on. Even in my small town, where I thought I had a good idea of what every band sounds like, here comes this guy out of nowhere. Not sure if he was from way out of town, or just didn't perform publicly on a regular basis.

The mayor and our congresswoman spoke between performances, which was very nice, because you got a good feel for what our lawmakers are trying to do to curb gun violence. No one has illusions about being able to stop it entirely. But we have to bring more awareness to the problem so that people with ideas can come forward and try to implement them. Right now, there's a lot of generic talk about "we need more gun laws" or "we need better mental health care" but not nearly enough on the practical, more detail-oriented stuff that include how to pay for the idea, and how to apply the money you have towards achieving the goal you have in mind.

Dennis

2 Pages V < 1 2

Custom Search
RSSSearch   Top   Lo-Fi    10th December 2017 - 09:27 PM