UtterAccess.com
X   Site Message
(Message will auto close in 2 seconds)

Welcome to UtterAccess! Please ( Login   or   Register )

Custom Search

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Cross-posting On Another Site    

projecttoday
post Aug 7 2016, 11:37 AM
Post#1

UtterAccess VIP

It it really the concern of UtterAccess.com if someone cross-posts on a completely different website?
Go to the top of the page

orange999
post Aug 7 2016, 11:45 AM
Post#2

Robert,

The only thing I dislike about cross posters is the lack of a link(s) to the related post(s).

I think posters should cross post as much as they like, just have the courtesy to let the people who are offering assistance/advice know that you have done so.

I like the discussion offered by Excelguru years ago.

cheekybuddha
post Aug 7 2016, 11:51 AM
Post#3

UtterAccess VIP

No, I don't think so.

Orange999 often posts the cross-links to the other sites when he spots this and asks that the OP mentions the fact if they do it in future 'as a courtesy' to the users of other boards.

I think that's a good policy too.

But in the end, the OP's are after solutions and the quicker the better, so asking in multiple places might seem like a decent idea. Fair enough, I suppose.

d

cheekybuddha
post Aug 7 2016, 11:52 AM
Post#4

UtterAccess VIP

Ok, I'll refrain from answering on behalf of Orange in future, he's perfectly capable of doing so for himself!

wavehi.gif

d

orange999
post Aug 7 2016, 12:06 PM
Post#5

No problem David.

Often it is a first time or relatively new poster who "tests" various forums with no mention of related posts. For whatever reason, some even think the people who respond are paid personnel, and do this as a full time job. I'm sure you've seen the "I posted this yesterday and no one has responded, what to heck is going on??"

As per the excelguru link, if/when you point out that the forum support is made up of volunteers, they often
will include cross links in subsequent posts.

I don't think it is too much to ask a cross poster to add a link when cross posting. Jeeez, even let us know you found an answer would be nice, but rare.

Orange

tina t
post Aug 7 2016, 12:39 PM
Post#6

I don't think it is too much to ask a cross poster to add a link when cross posting. Jeeez, even let us know you found an answer would be nice, but rare.

i agree with Orange. it's frustrating to expend time and energy (i've only got so much energy to spread around these days!) on a question that has already been answered in another forum - whether in UA or another website - especially when it's the same solution you worked on.

in the old MSAccess newsgroups, cross-posting (as opposed to multiple posting) was accepted, because if the op started a thread posted to more than one newsgroup, that post and all replies showed up in all the posted newsgroups. it was useful when the question spanned several categories - forms and VBA and queries, for instance - or the op wasn't sure which newsgroup to post to. but in a website like UA, with no "true" cross-posting capability, discouraging multiple posts to different forums (or even in the same forum) is reasonable; and asking for notice of similar postings to other websites is also reasonable.

hth
tina

jleach
post Aug 7 2016, 02:33 PM
Post#7

UtterAccess Editor

it's frustrating to expend time and energy (i've only got so much energy to spread around these days!) on a question that has already been answered in another forum - whether in UA or another website - especially when it's the same solution you worked on.

This is really the heart of it and summarizes UA's stance on the topic. Even with links to other posts/forums, this means that a would-be-helper now has to go read a thread elsewhere, try to glean what information has been passed along, work that into some meaningful reply here (or wherever), which tends to mangle up whole threads not only for those trying to help, but for everyone coming down the line that might think to read it for their info as well.

Common netiquette frowns upon the practice. For UA, it's not so much a matter of "we want you here, not there" or "we don't want 'competition'" as it is "this makes a mess of things for everyone"

Cheers,

Custom Search
RSSSearch   Top   Lo-Fi    12th December 2017 - 06:42 PM