UtterAccess.com
X   Site Message
(Message will auto close in 2 seconds)

Welcome to UtterAccess! Please ( Login   or   Register )

Custom Search
2 Pages V  1 2 >  (Go to first unread post)
   Reply to this topicStart new topic
> B Access Via A Tablet, Windows 7    

ebwhittaker
post Aug 19 2016, 08:12 AM
Post#1

Right now i am connecting to the 'server' using remote desktop and both the FE and BE are on the main office windows 7 computer. It works but i would like to run it on a tablet (OS to be determined) so that it will show in both landscape and portrait modes on the tablet, which it does not now do because i am running it via Remote Desktop. Is there a way to put the FE on the tablet and have if connect to the BE on the windows office computer?
The remote computer is connected via wi-fi and the office computer is set up for multiple concurrent logins

Thanks for any suggestions
Ed
Go to the top of the page

DanielPineault
post Aug 19 2016, 08:22 AM
Post#2

UtterAccess VIP

Wi-Fi and Access are a no-no, in a general sense.

If you purchase a tablet which allows you to install MS Access, then yes you can Install your FE on it and then make connections just as you would using a standard PC. The issue is most tablets do not support MS Access. You'd need to look at something like Microsoft's Surface for instance (there are others).

But if you are trying to connect your home tablet to a work BE your are asking for trouble (ie corruption) since you are connecting through a WAN (www in this instance). Access is not WAN compatible. This is why you need to use remote software (RDP, CITRIX, Terminal Services, ...) in the first place. The alternatives are:

• Convert your db to a web database
  • Switch technologies and use a proper web database such as MySQL and PHP/.NET/...

ebwhittaker
post Aug 19 2016, 09:50 AM
Post#3

I understand the no no of Wi-Fi and right now I am just using the internet from my house to access the database but mostly for testing, etc.
I use MS Remote Desktop for access to the office computer
Where we want to use it we could run an Ethernet cable to the router that connects the office computer -would that be better?

Thanks
Ed

Marsupilami72
post Aug 19 2016, 10:11 AM
Post#4

Wi-Fi and Access are a no-no, in a general sense.

Wi-Fi and Access Backends are a no-no!

An Access frontend connected to a SQL-Server(Express) backend works fine on a Wi-Fi and even WAN connection.

cmohanc
post Aug 19 2016, 10:31 AM
Post#5

Case 1 : My front end runs on a windows 7 laptop and backend on a PC - connecting to Access back end through WIFI . Excellent No Problems.

Case 2 : I am connecting to Access back end through a web application , by WIFI ,. On an Android Tablets - - Excellent No Problems.

This is a data collection and analysis software, where even MySql is very slow.

I don't know how this notion developed.

I am developing more on Windows tab Now. No doubt over its success.

Note: Both FE & BE on my company LAN. Not internet.

theDBguy
post Aug 19 2016, 10:42 AM
Post#6

Access Wiki and Forums Moderator

Hi cmohanc,

Welcome to UtterAccess!
welcome2UA.gif

Re: "This is a data collection and analysis software..."

If I may ask you a question... Would you use a WiFi setup on a "critical business software?"

Just curious (based on your experience)...

cmohanc
post Aug 19 2016, 11:00 AM
Post#7

I will find ways to use on WIFI. In today's world, wireless connectivity and mobility is the norm.

theDBguy
post Aug 19 2016, 11:13 AM
Post#8

Thanks!

Re: "I will find ways to use on WIFI."

I imagine this could mean NOT using Access. Still, sharing your positive experience using WiFi with Access is good to know.

Cheers!

cmohanc
post Aug 19 2016, 11:22 AM
Post#9

If my "critical business software" , runs on access , then I will definitely connect using WIFI.

theDBguy
post Aug 19 2016, 11:27 AM
Post#10

Hi. Thanks. It's good to know others are having success using this setup. We just need to be aware of the risks we're taking (or willing to take). Cheers!

cmohanc
post Aug 19 2016, 11:43 AM
Post#11

But i don't know what the risk is?
Using on laptop for last 2 years. In fact , used the Laptop to develop the software. Running on Android for 6 months. 10 Android Tabs are connecting to it , 12 hrs a day and continuous data entry , throughout the day , @ 1 entry every 2 mins. And another 5 Pcs connected always.

theDBguy
post Aug 19 2016, 12:02 PM
Post#12

Re: "But i don't know what the risk is?"

Oh, I see. This old article explains the limitations of using Access outside of a LAN setup. The last statement before the second heading, Albert said this:

This also why you can't risk running ms-access in a file share mode on a wireless network either!

Like I said, as long as we all know the limitations and risks, it's good to hear of positive experiences like yours.

Just my 2 cents...

cmohanc
post Aug 19 2016, 12:08 PM
Post#13

This is about WAN.
I am using it on LAN , connected by WIFI.
And I am moving to Postgresql to connect over internet.

theDBguy
post Aug 19 2016, 12:15 PM
Post#14

Hi cmohanc.

No offense intended. I just want everyone who may read this thread in the future to know both sides of the discussion. The article was primarily for WANs, but as I pointed out, Albert also made a statement in there about its applicability for WIFI connections (WAN or LAN).

You asked earlier where "this notion" started. The article describes the "technical" reasons why having "intermittent" connection when using Access is not a good idea. The article is very old, but the technology (the way Access works) has not changed. However, what may have changed by now is the reliability of network connections (WAN or WIFI). It's why I said knowing others having success with a WIFI connection in the past two years is very good news.

Hope it's clearer...

cmohanc
post Aug 19 2016, 12:26 PM
Post#15

Hi theDBguy ,

You ar an experienced MVP and I your view is much respected
I had umpteen instances of my lan cable getting disconnected from my laptop , while connected to Access. This can happen to a desktop also. Luckily , I never had a single instance of any corrupted file over last 3 years. If access should fail due to disconnection , then its definitely high risk. Cannot run outside even a single desktop.
I have another applications running for 10 years in really 'dont care conditions' but no failures.

May it is not as bad as it looks and with proper backups , it should not be that much of a risk.

DanielPineault
post Aug 19 2016, 01:10 PM
Post#16

UtterAccess VIP

Here are a few links that discuss this subject:

http://www.UtterAccess.com/forum/Access-Ta...e-t1959617.html
https://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/of...forum=accessdev
http://www.UtterAccess.com/forum/Runnind-A...i-t1985211.html

Just google to find many, many more.

All of this to say, I have clients who use Access on a Wireless network and have never experienced any problems.

That said, I also have clients that were experiencing routine corruption until I arrived and discovered they were connected by WiFi. As soon as I switched them to wired LAN, all the issues magically went away.

So it would seem to be hit and miss. Why?! Routers, Fireware, PC itself, ...? But for me it simply isn't worth the risk. Wired LAN is the simplest thing to set up (and more secure) that I won't consider any alternatives for my clients.

But at the end of the day, the most critical aspect of any IT system are the backups! As long as you have a good backup strategy in place, everything else is moot. If I were running a wireless network this would be my primary focus, regular backups (and validate they are functional).

ebwhittaker
post Aug 19 2016, 01:52 PM
Post#17

Guess I started a great discussion . Right now i use the wi-fi for off site access for uploads of chanves, testing, etc. But not for routine day to day entries. So when we hook up the tablet it will be via ethernet to the router conndeted to the computer running access ..
Thanks all for your sugesstions and comments

Marsupilami72
post Aug 19 2016, 02:10 PM
Post#18

What´s the Problem with switching to a SQL-Server backend? SQL Server Express is free of charge - and Access even has an upsizing wizard for it...

AlbertKallal
post Aug 19 2016, 07:43 PM
Post#19

UtterAccess VIP

As pointed out, on a “good” local WiFi connection, then it often works ok.

I have “let” a few clients do this, and they had good success.

The WARNING is don’t assume that the setup is rock solid.

What occurred is we allowed several users this setup, but then one day they were holding an outdoor event, and some silly IT person decided that those laptops would work great in a tent some distance from the WiFi router.

So, sure, they setup the tent, tested the laptops and all was well.

However, the next day when you had 800 people and thus 800 smartphones in the same location – the system was un-useable and un-stable. The “noise” level in those airwaves was now very high – even without the smartphones connecting, they still yelling and screaming WiFi into the airwaves on a constant basis.

So with un-reliable Wi-Fi, you going to have MANY issues.

Like everything in life it not all or nothing. So a good solid Wi-Fi connection with little interference can work and as you note several people can attest to such a setup working (as noted, even a client of mine did this).

However, don’t let that success morph into an idea that a split Access database works in a “un-reliability” network setting like MOST web based appclations are designed to do – it is apples and oranges.

Web based technologies are “designed” with the connection to come and go, or at the very least be sporadic – Access and a split database is not the case.

I think RDP is much the best choice here – and it will thus work on near any tablet without that tablet needing to run Access.

Regards,
Albert D. Kallal (Access MVP)
Edmonton, Alberta Canada
kallal@msn.com

cmohanc
post Aug 19 2016, 11:53 PM
Post#20

Any how, I am migrating to postgresql . So this becomes a non issue.
But Now it becomes a priority.. The sooner , the better.

Good discussion.

Correct me if i am wrong - RDP works on 1 to 1 basis. ie, For each RD connection, i need one desktop and one client. ?
Or one desktop can cater to multiple clients ? My Windows 10 tab does not connect to win7 through RDP. I use Team viewer instead. But the screen is laggy.

2 Pages V  1 2 >

Custom Search
RSSSearch   Top   Lo-Fi    17th December 2017 - 12:45 PM