UtterAccess.com
X   Site Message
(Message will auto close in 2 seconds)

Welcome to UtterAccess! Please ( Login   or   Register )

Custom Search
2 Pages V  1 2 >  (Go to first unread post)
   Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Cannot Get Full Form On Remote Screen On Tablet, Windows Vista    

ebwhittaker
post Aug 19 2016, 10:07 AM
Post#1

Note: The form displays and works as it should using a remote PC, just not using a Tablet running Android

when I connect using MS Remote Access the form loads and works but the right edge is not the right edge of the actual form. I tried grabbing and moving out but it only goes just so far and stops way short of the
actual right side of the form
Kind of frustrating not be able to see the right side of the form
Any ideas would be great
Thanks
Ed
Go to the top of the page

doctor9
post Aug 19 2016, 10:17 AM
Post#2

UtterAccess Editor

Ed,

I have zero experience with tablets, but I do know that when I find out a user's screen resolution won't let them view the whole form, I redesign the form to be smaller so that the user with the lowest resolution can use it. Is this a possibility?

Hope this helps,

Dennis

GroverParkGeorge
post Aug 19 2016, 11:43 AM
Post#3

UA Admin

This is a factor in all form design decisions. The rule of thumb is that you need to design to the lowest common denominator. I.e. the lowest screen resolution your users will have.

One way to ameliorate the problem is to use the Anchoring property of controls to use the real estate on forms as efficiently as possible.
Attached File  2016_08_19_9_42_03.png ( 18.02K )Number of downloads: 4

ebwhittaker
post Aug 19 2016, 01:56 PM
Post#4

The form shows correct on the office computer where the dstabase is and on my remote connected computer . Just not on the tablet

GroverParkGeorge
post Aug 19 2016, 02:10 PM
Post#5

UA Admin

That's to be expected.

The screen resolution on the tablet is DIFFERENT.

Resize things to fit the screen resolution on the tablet if you expect to use the tablet a lot.

the forms may not appear full-screen on the desktop, but you have a choice of two options, one of which is providing the application in a way that will render on the tablet. The other is to provide the application in a way that will render on the desktop monitor.

As a matter of fact, if you have users who select different screen resolutions on their desktop, they'll have the same experience. Some will be happy, some may not.

ebwhittaker
post Aug 19 2016, 03:02 PM
Post#6

i may not be explaining the situation .. on the tablet i can move the form inside access's screen so i can see the right side of the form .. the left side goes off screen .. when i try to open the side of the form it will only open a small amount and no more .. this leaves a blank area of access on the right .. is still resolution? The database only runs on one computer with a large but want to use a tablet as a secondary entry

AlbertKallal
post Aug 19 2016, 07:26 PM
Post#7

UtterAccess VIP

Actually, a whack yourself over the head feature of RDP is what we call smart re-scaling, or smart re-sizing.

We have some software that was built around everyone having a honker BIG monitor – 1920.

However, being print shop software, a number of the users have MAC’s (common in the print industry), and we thus use RDP for those uses.

It turns out that you can turn on screen re-scaling. And it works BEYOND amazing. It is a true re-scaling and re-sizing of your screen.

The result is our software runs just fine say on a 15 inch laptop with the common resolution of say 1366 x 768.

I not sure “when” this feature became available, but you ONLY see the setting exposed when using the windows 8 or 10 RDP client, but in fact this feature been available for 8 or more years!

In a word: - it simply rocks!

So if you have windows 8, 10, then the feature is EXPOSED. If you using a “different” RDP client, then in the settings you can use:

Smart sizing:i;1

This outlined here:

http://blog.concurrency.com/blog/w/smart-s...top-ui,-at-last

While for many users of software, re-sizing is often part of the application.

As a Access developer, the above knowledge is nothing short of a golden brass ring that will re-size your Access applications in an near perfect way – the result is all those different laptops, MAC’s, tablets etc. now run our software in a perfect sized screen.

Regards,
Albert D. Kallal (Access MVP)
Edmonton, Alberta Canada
kallal@msn.com

AlbertKallal
post Aug 19 2016, 07:30 PM
Post#8

UtterAccess VIP

if you have users who select different screen resolutions on their desktop, they'll have the same experience. Some will be happy, some may not.

Actually, see my post above - I would not normally re-quote and point out a solution exists - I am most eager for the Access community to be "aware" of the smart - re-size feature in RDP.

It really is something I wish I had known a long time ago. It simply beyond an amazing solution for the Access community as a whole when using Access and RDP.

Regards,
Regards,
Edmonton, Alberta Canada
kallal@msn.com

ebwhittaker
post Aug 20 2016, 07:18 AM
Post#9

Unfortunatly it does not appear to be an option on the Android version .. bummer!

ebwhittaker
post Aug 20 2016, 09:13 AM
Post#10

The 'problem' is definitely Rdp related since I used VNC and it works correctly with the full form showing on my tablet ..
This is from my tablet to my computer since i have both on it.

ebwhittaker
post Aug 20 2016, 11:09 AM
Post#11

I put vnc on the office omputer and the form opens full screen with all the fields showing
BUT vnc does not allow, that i know of, concurrent connections so it won't work for us .. bummer

ebwhittaker
post Aug 20 2016, 04:08 PM
Post#12

Just a short update .. i tried several rd programs anc they all do ghe exact same thing. Note that the forms render correctly if i connect from my pc so it 'appears' to be android related
Are there any other server/client programs that allow concurrent users?

cheekybuddha
post Aug 20 2016, 04:51 PM
Post#13

UtterAccess VIP

> BUT vnc does not allow, that i know of, concurrent connections <

Are you sure? What flavour of VNC are you using? TightVNC allows concurrent connections. It's been a pretty long time since I've used it but I'm sure RealVNC did as well.

What android clients have you tried? It helps if you let us know!

Have you tried bVNC? Hands down the best android VNC app I've used (and I've tried a few!)

The author also makes an RDP client which I've not tried, but I would guess would be pretty OK, if bVNC is anything to go by.

Just note, using VNC is great but can open security holes to your network. Better to SSH into your network and use VNC locally from there. (bVNC handles this easily too).

hth,

d

cheekybuddha
post Aug 20 2016, 05:04 PM
Post#14

UtterAccess VIP

Here's a screenshot of the config dialog of a remote windows machine running TightVNC.

Note the first option under 'Session Sharing'.

hth,

d
Attached File(s)
Attached File  20160820_vnc_settings.png ( 587.3K )Number of downloads: 6

AlbertKallal
post Aug 21 2016, 02:10 AM
Post#15

UtterAccess VIP

Unfortunatly it does not appear to be an option on the Android version .. bummer!

But the smart re-size feature is a setting of the server. The only thing the client side can do is render the window to a given size.

It is possible (likely) that you can’t edit the client side RDP file, but it is really simply a config setting that the “client” can send to the server.

I would find out if/when/where/how you can setup and change the settings for the android RDP file – or try a different RDP client for android. It not really a feature of the client, but only a “setting” that has to be sent to the server.

As I pointed out, if you using windows 8, or 10, then the smart re-size feature is exposed and “shown” in the client GUI settings. However, you could have used this feature with windows 7, or even windows XP. When you “create” a RDP shortcut, then you can open that “settings” file with notepad and add the re-size setting. As long as the client computer allows one to “change” or edit the setting for the RDP client, then this setting should work on any RDP client – at least ones that you can change the settings.

As for your comments about VNC – it is a totally different technology and is simply not relevant to RDP in any way, shape or form. VNC is screen scraping and sending pixels (graphic screen representation) of the screen – RDP is not.

The issue of a RDP client running on windows, MAC, Linux or iOS or in this case Android has ZERO , I repeat has ZERO to do with the smart size feature being supported or not.

Regards,
Edmonton, Alberta Canada
kallal@msn.com

AlbertKallal
post Aug 21 2016, 02:23 AM
Post#16

UtterAccess VIP

Note the first option under 'Session Sharing'.

I suspect the user means that you have a windows server, and want 10 users (and 10 separate sessions) to connect and logon. Terminal Services is what creates those multiple desktop session and ONLY sends them out via the RDP (remote desktop protocol). You can't connect to those Terminal Services desktops via VNC or anything else except using RDP to my knowledge.

So I suspect that some "semantics" are at play here - multiple sessions in this context likely means multiple users on the one server proving terminal services - to my knowledge you have to connect to those sessions via RDP.

If the server was Linux, then of course it allows multiple remote logons (and thus multiple users). So VNC etc. can support multiple logons to some mainframe or computer that allows multiple remote logons. That is not the case wth terminal services - you only allowed to use RDP.

However, if we are talking about existing computers and desktops at work? Why yes, the course VNC applies. However "multiple" sessions as a feature does not all of a sudden allow multiple users to each have their own desktop (that is the job of the server, or in this case terminal services). If each user has their own desktop to connect to and are using VNC, then you have multiple users - and the existence of multiple sessions does not help or change anything that I can see in this context.

I mean, what does multiple sessions in VNC give the user?

It is possible the user here is NOT using terminal services - if that is the case, then again since they are running Access, by "logic" and reason this means a physical WINDOWS desktop and VNC multiple session "settings" don't apply in this context in any way, shape, or form.

Regards,
Edmonton, Alberta Canada
kallal@msn.com

ebwhittaker
post Aug 21 2016, 08:04 AM
Post#17

Yes multiple users running the same program .. in this case MS access with the FE on their virtual desktop .. as stated the screen form display using a windows based pc is perfect but when using a andriod tablet the form only shows 80% within the access window which is full tablet screen

ebwhittaker
post Aug 21 2016, 10:55 AM
Post#18

I read the blog on smart sizing but I must be missing something because the mentioned setting icon on the remote connection screen is not there and the title bar only has min/max/close and unpin

The office computer us running windows 8.1 pro
and I am running windows 10

ebwhittaker
post Aug 21 2016, 10:55 AM
Post#19

I read the blog on smart sizing but I must be missing something because the mentioned setting icon on the remote connection screen is not there and the title bar only has min/max/close and unpin

The office computer us running windows 8.1 pro
and I am running windows 10

AlbertKallal
post Aug 21 2016, 11:30 AM
Post#20

UtterAccess VIP

Just keep in mind you CAN NOT SEE the smart re-size option UNTIL AFTER you are connected. As noted this option ONLY appears in the windows 8 and 10 RDP client.

Read the article again!

The location of the setting using ONLY the GUI is found here:

again:
YOU ONLY see the option AFTER you connect.

And if you are using windows 7 or earlier, then the built in RDP client DOES NOT expose this option even after you connect!!!

However, it is a simple matter to SAVE the RDP setting file as shown here:

So AFTER you saved the above, you can edit the rdp file with notepad.

So the re-size setting in the windows RDP client is ONLY exposed AFTER you launched the session and ONLY exposed if you using windows 8 or 10 RDP client.

If you using a smartphone, windows 7, XP etc. then you have to EDIT the RDP config file.

The “feature” is a server side setting – the only goal here is to “set” or “ensure” that the smart resize has been set. After that, it REALLY DOES NOT MATTER WHICH RDP client you use – it is a server side setting – not a feature of the client.

Any RDP client thus should work with this feature turned on – it is only a question does that RDP client let you edit the client side RDP "settings" file.

Regards,
Edmonton, Alberta Canada
kallal@msn.com

2 Pages V  1 2 >

Custom Search
RSSSearch   Top   Lo-Fi    11th December 2017 - 05:44 PM