UtterAccess.com
X   Site Message
(Message will auto close in 2 seconds)

Welcome to UtterAccess! Please ( Login   or   Register )

Custom Search

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> How To Run A Function At Application Exit?, Access 2010    

fizzy1
post Sep 7 2016, 12:58 PM
Post#1

Hi,

I want to run a particular function when a user closes my database application (I want to push a value into a table timestamping their exit).

Is there somewhere that I can reference the imminent closing of the app, and then trigger an event?

(I do have one form that remains open, and can't be closed by the user, but I also have some code that if a user logs out and logs in again that form is closed & re-opened, which throws a spurious trigger, so I'd prefer to avoid sing that form's OnClose event.)

Thanks,
Toby.
Go to the top of the page

theDBguy
post Sep 7 2016, 01:03 PM
Post#2

Access Wiki and Forums Moderator

Hi Toby,

One possible approach is to use a "flag" with your "Exit" button. Then, when your form closes, you can check if the user wanted to exit or just log off.

Hope it makes sense...

LPurvis
post Sep 7 2016, 01:16 PM
Post#3

UtterAccess Editor

I'd agree with DBGuy, you can certainly cause your existing instance form to behave differently... Or you could just opt for having another form permanently open until the application instance ends (such a form is usually opened invisible/hidden and persisted primarily for this purpose - or persisting a connection or its timer event.)

Of course, you could also throw your weight behind asking MS for more application events.
https://access.uservoice.com/forums/319956-...on-window-close

If that's something that appeals. :-)

Cheers

fizzy1
post Sep 7 2016, 06:08 PM
Post#4

Thanks gents. Initially I took the route of making a hidden form that opens at startup, and fires off the timestamp operation in it's OnClose event.

However, that made me feel a little dirty, having to make a form just as a workaround no matter how easy or sensible it is, so I reworked some of the code that was driving my Dashboard form to close and open on a change of user, and put the timestamp operation in its OnClose event. Basically what I originally said I preferred not to do wink.gif But that was the cleanest, and it forced me to address one of the little niggles I'd had with it anyway (the close then open thing).

I did vote on that petition to get some application-wide events added smile.gif

So in the end it worked out, thanks for the advice.

Thanks,
Toby.

theDBguy
post Sep 7 2016, 08:28 PM
Post#5

Access Wiki and Forums Moderator

Hi Toby,

Glad to hear you got it sorted out. Good luck with your project.

Custom Search
RSSSearch   Top   Lo-Fi    11th December 2017 - 03:51 PM