UtterAccess.com
X   Site Message
(Message will auto close in 2 seconds)

Welcome to UtterAccess! Please ( Login   or   Register )

Custom Search

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> For A Client I Need To Open A Lotus Approach Data Base ....    

hokie1
post Sep 12 2016, 04:06 PM
Post#1

....and recreate it in ACCESS.

The creation part is easy BUT I don't have Lotus Approach and don't want to buy it for a 1 shot conversion

Any suggestions on how I can get my hands on APPROACH or get someone to dismantle it for me.

I have tried to find a "free" download but with no luck.

Any ideas/suggestions will be appreciated.

Thanks.
Go to the top of the page

doctor9
post Sep 12 2016, 04:43 PM
Post#2

UtterAccess Editor

hokie1,

If necessary, you might want to check with your client to see if they can export the data from Approach into a format that Access can read, like Excel or text format.

I would NOT recommend looking for some sort of "free" download, especially if you're referring to an illegal copy of the program. We do not permit discussions of that sort here at UtterAccess.

Hope this helps,

Dennis

hokie1
post Sep 12 2016, 05:10 PM
Post#3

No, I'm not looking for anything illegal. There are several websites that advertise FREE Approach downloads but they come loaded with requiring to download lots of unneeded "tools" such as db repair tools, optimization tools and the like ....so I'm not going to burden myself with all that and have chosen not to use their "free" download.

I was actually hoping to find a free 30 Trial Approach from someone ... but no luck.

My client (a lawyer which I support remotely) is not technically skilled enough to even export data from APPROACH.

I guess my only solution is to pay someone to go to her office and do the export for me.

I MAY get her to install a Log_Me-In type tool of some sort to help me avoid future problems like this.

Thanks for your reply.

jleach
post Sep 13 2016, 04:32 AM
Post#4

UtterAccess Editor

>> I MAY get her to install a Log_Me-In type tool of some sort to help me avoid future problems like this. <<

That's often the solution for many of these types of scenarios (logmein, join.me, teamviewer, others)

ScottGem
post Sep 13 2016, 05:53 AM
Post#5

UtterAccess VIP / UA Clown

Lotus Approach uses standard dbf files. If you have Access 2010 or earlier, you can open the tables in Access. If you have 2013 or 2016, you can open the tables in Excel then Import to Access.

Everything else you will need to recreate in Access from scratch. You will not be able to convert any other objects.

Lotus Smartsuite was discontinued in 2013 with support ending in 2014. So I doubt if you can find it for download. It appears IBM has made sure it has been pulled.

If you are supporting this client remotely, then you should already have a way (LogMeIn, TeamViewer, Skype, etc.) to connect to their PC for support. Then all you need to do is transfer the DBF files to your computer.

Custom Search
RSSSearch   Top   Lo-Fi    16th December 2017 - 11:28 PM