UtterAccess.com
X   Site Message
(Message will auto close in 2 seconds)

Welcome to UtterAccess! Please ( Login   or   Register )

Custom Search
 
   Reply to this topicStart new topic
> VBA Project Cannot Be Read... Error, Access 2010    
 
   
john_willmott
post Oct 17 2016, 02:02 PM
Post#1



Posts: 516
Joined: 12-July 03
From: South Wales, UK


Hi All

I have a 2010 FE/BE database (32bit)

The FE is turned into an ACCDE but using a lockdown utility (another access database) which sets properties, hide the menus, sets which ribbon to use, disables bypass etc - All works well and good.

The master copy of the frontend.accde is stored on a network drive, and copied to the desktop of each machine where it is used - This all works fine on all machines to date.

However, we have copied it to two other machines and when it tries to open we get...

"VBA project cannot be read and the database can only be opened if the VBA project is deleted"

I got this message before when I had inadvertently locked the front down on a machine using 2013 32bit. I checked I had not inadvertently put the wrong front end onto the network.

So i have and accde which runs on 10 machines (mixture of 2010 32bit and 2013 32bit, all Windows 7) but not on the other 2 which are 2010 32bit windows 7?

What could cause this error on a machine specific basis?

Any suggestions most welcome.

John
Go to the top of the page
 
dmhzx
post Oct 17 2016, 02:27 PM
Post#2



Posts: 7,033
Joined: 22-December 10
From: England


What happens if you copy the FE over the top of a current good one? Trying to determine if it's machine specific, or timing

Every time I've seen that problem it means that the file is irrecoverably corrupt.
So you may need to restore your master from a backup or one of the good copies.

The cause?
One possibility is running a C&R over the network.
Go to the top of the page
 
john_willmott
post Oct 18 2016, 01:25 AM
Post#3



Posts: 516
Joined: 12-July 03
From: South Wales, UK


Thanks for the reply.

The first thing I tried was to replace the FE on the suspect machines and still had the same issue.

I then copied the same master front end to several other machines and it works.

It is definitely a machine specific issue. Never had this before in 12 years of building applications!

John
Go to the top of the page
 
gemmathehusky
post Oct 18 2016, 06:17 AM
Post#4


UtterAccess VIP
Posts: 4,432
Joined: 5-June 07
From: UK


Is the master fe corrupted, or does it still work on a "good" machine

Try putting the code itself on the bad machine, to see if it runs.
Go to the top of the page
 
john_willmott
post Oct 18 2016, 02:21 PM
Post#5



Posts: 516
Joined: 12-July 03
From: South Wales, UK


The master front end is perfect - it has been copied to, and is working on about a dozen machines.

When copied to these two other machines, the error occurs.

It is machine specific.

John
Go to the top of the page
 
gemmathehusky
post Oct 18 2016, 05:14 PM
Post#6


UtterAccess VIP
Posts: 4,432
Joined: 5-June 07
From: UK


so can you try running the code on the bad machines?
Go to the top of the page
 
john_willmott
post Oct 30 2016, 10:52 AM
Post#7



Posts: 516
Joined: 12-July 03
From: South Wales, UK


Thanks for your ideas.

I tried putting the development FE onto the bad machines and it works. Compiled the accde from these machines - it worked

The 'bad machines' just did not like the accde which was compiled on another machine! WTH?

However, I found another post which mentioned service packs.

The development machine has Office 2010 32 bit SP2. This is where the aacde was created. The bad machines had office 2010 32 bit service pack 1. Apparently, service pack 1 contained the 'upgrade' that prevents accde opening.

Microsoft rapidly released a fixit for this which was then incorportated in service pack 2

Installed service pack 2 and the accde works perfectly.

What annoys me is that, for example, if the accde was created on 32 bit and attempted to be opened on 64 bit office, you get a message saying that the Accde was created in a different version - so at least you know it is not compatible.

However, this issue suggests your DB is corrupt / dangerous / a pile of [censored] etc which does instill an uneasiness - I have had front end access containers become corrupt before, and although it is easy enough to recover from backups, you are always uncertain you have all the latest mods / changes when the FE is being rapidly developed.

Annoying, but now resolved!!

Thanks to all contributors

John
Go to the top of the page
 
dmhzx
post Oct 30 2016, 01:27 PM
Post#8



Posts: 7,033
Joined: 22-December 10
From: England


Another hit from the MS irritants team.

But yes: SP1 was a bit of a disaster for Access users.

But then I've been exceedingly lucky with my users, and have never needed to deploy using accde.
Go to the top of the page
 


Custom Search
RSSSearch   Top   Lo-Fi    16th December 2017 - 05:52 AM