UtterAccess.com
X   Site Message
(Message will auto close in 2 seconds)

Welcome to UtterAccess! Please ( Login   or   Register )

Custom Search

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Easy Use Command Switches \decompile \excl \compact \runtime Etc, Access 2010    

JonSmith
post Oct 31 2016, 06:03 AM
Post#1

Hi All,

A thought occurred to me today. Using the command line switches on specific files is a pain in the neck, opening a database in Exclusive mode is awkward because you need to open MSAccess, browse to the file and select the specific option on the Open file dialog. For those of us who do most of our file browsing in Windows explorer its annoying to have to switch behaviors.

I decided I would solve this by adding a few registry keys that mean that when I right click on an MSAccess database file I can now choose to open in runtime mode or Exclusive mode or decompile it etc etc.
In order to keep my right click menu from getting cluttered I have set it so that these options only appear if you hold down the shift key and then right click on the Access file.

See the screenshot attached.

I know alot of people get scared when changing the registry. I can say with 100% confidence that my registry files cannot damage the normal operating of your computer and can be checked prior to added them by opening in a text editor. All they do is basically tell windows some stuff to do when you right click on an .accdb file.

I included on reg key file that installs all the options aswell as one that removes them. I also included them as individual files too incase you only want one or two of them.

These keys work for Access 2010 which has an entry in the registry as Access.Application.14
Other version may use a different number so please alter the reg files accordingly.

JS
Attached File(s)
Attached File  Access_Right_Click_Reg_Keys.zip ( 2.48K )Number of downloads: 30
Attached File  Screenshot.png ( 16.71K )Number of downloads: 3

Go to the top of the page

DanielPineault
post Oct 31 2016, 08:19 AM
Post#2

UtterAccess VIP

I'll second this. thumbup.gif I set this up on all of my PCs and VMs.

JonSmith
post Oct 31 2016, 01:20 PM
Post#3

Glad you agree Daniel!
Had you also set up a right click like that or did you have another method of calling the command switches?

DanielPineault
post Oct 31 2016, 01:27 PM
Post#4

UtterAccess VIP

Right-Click.

Reusable decompilation method found at MS Access – Decompile a Database

ADezii
post Oct 31 2016, 01:29 PM
Post#5

Novel idea! I think that I will implement it myself (right-click Option).

JonSmith
post Oct 31 2016, 04:22 PM
Post#6

Thanks for the link Daniel, uses a different one to mine.
I dare-say a less elegant option since the 'Send To' approach is not file specific unlike the registry method.

I use contextual right clicks for a number of things like this, another example is I frequently examine the xml contents of an excel file so I need to add a zip extension (then remove), I also do this with right click.

It can also be great to run other tasks on specific files. For example a colleague of mine had to monitor a text file for specific output so logically I devised a simple script to do that. To run it on a .txt file you just shift right click and 'Monitor File'.

Context right click is really handy and I keep thinking of new uses. I'd be interested on hearing any others people may have?

DanielPineault
post Oct 31 2016, 07:37 PM
Post#7

UtterAccess VIP

For anyone wishing to implement this (and it is worth implementing) and to just explain JonSmith's note regarding

These keys work for Access 2010 which has an entry in the registry as Access.Application.14
Other version may use a different number so please alter the reg files accordingly.

If you are running another version of MS Access other than Access 2010, you will need to edit the .reg files and switch out ...14\ throughout and replace it with the number (see below) corresponding to your version of Access.

12 -> Access 2007
14 -> Access 2010
15 -> Access 2013
16 -> Access 2016

Custom Search
RSSSearch   Top   Lo-Fi    17th December 2017 - 10:20 PM