UtterAccess.com
X   Site Message
(Message will auto close in 2 seconds)

Welcome to UtterAccess! Please ( Login   or   Register )

Custom Search
2 Pages V  1 2 >  (Go to first unread post)
   Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Convert Access 97 To 16 Without Any Other Version, Access 97    

LennyFL
post Nov 30 2016, 02:55 PM
Post#1

I have an Access 97 MDB file and I would like to convert it to Access 2016. From what I've read I can't do without having an earlier version of Access, 2003, 2007, 2013.

It contains only data, no other tables, macros etc. I only use it when I teach MS Excel and how to connect to external databases.

Any ideas on how I can do that?

Thanks,
Lenny
Go to the top of the page

theDBguy
post Nov 30 2016, 03:05 PM
Post#2

Access Wiki and Forums Moderator

Hi Lenny,

Welcome to UtterAccess!
welcome2UA.gif

Are you saying you don't have Access 97 anymore?

--------------------
Just my 2 cents... "And if I claim to be a wise man, it surely means that I don't know" - Kansas
Microsoft Access MVP | Access Website | Access Blog | Email

LennyFL
post Nov 30 2016, 03:13 PM
Post#3

I have the file in 97 but don't have Access 97. I have Access 2016 and no versions between.

Thanks,
Lenny

theDBguy
post Nov 30 2016, 03:18 PM
Post#4

Hi,

Just thinking out loud... Can you try using Excel to import the data into spreadsheets and then import the spreadsheets into Access?

(crossing fingers...)

--------------------
Just my 2 cents... "And if I claim to be a wise man, it surely means that I don't know" - Kansas

doctor9
post Nov 30 2016, 03:29 PM
Post#5

UtterAccess Editor

LennyFL,

Have you tried? You should be able to just create a new blank database file, then import the tables into it.

In Access 2010, for example, you click on the External Data tab of the Ribbon on a new database, then select Access in the Import & Link section. In the next dialog box, you click the Browse button, and the browser should display .mdb files as well as the newer .accdb files. Once you select the old database, you should see a list of tables.

Hope this helps,

Dennis

--------------------
(;,;) Li'l Cthulu says: Please talk about what you're trying to do, as well as how you're doing it.
Changing your real table name to "Table1" and your real form name to "Form1" in your posts makes it more difficult to understand what's going on, not easier.
Guidelines for Posting Questions

theDBguy
post Nov 30 2016, 03:38 PM
Post#6

Hi Dennis,

I think support to import MDB files was removed from Access 2013 according to this article.

Discontinued features and modified functionality in Access 2013

Cheers!

--------------------

LennyFL
post Nov 30 2016, 04:05 PM
Post#7

Correct, there is no import function in 2016 for Access files that old. I can't even open in in Excel 2016 because it is Access 97

I don't have the interim versions to import it in to 2010 save it and then import it into 2016.

It is a 121 MB file containing a list of prisoners names, [censored], race tattoos. I use it to train Law Enforcement analysts in how to analyze date in MS Excel.

thanks,
Lenny

doctor9
post Nov 30 2016, 04:13 PM
Post#8

UtterAccess Editor

Ah, gotcha.

I could be mistaken, but I think Open Office (a free MS Office competitor) can handle databases. Maybe try to import the data into an Open Office database, then export as Excel format? If you can do that, you should be able to import Excel files as tables into a new database with minimal hiccups.

I guess this will teach you to leave your data in a 19-year-old format... confused.gif

Dennis

--------------------
(;,;) Li'l Cthulu says: Please talk about what you're trying to do, as well as how you're doing it.
Changing your real table name to "Table1" and your real form name to "Form1" in your posts makes it more difficult to understand what's going on, not easier.
Guidelines for Posting Questions

gemmathehusky
post Nov 30 2016, 05:16 PM
Post#9

UtterAccess VIP

I am surprised you can't import a mdb in A2016. You certainly can in A2013, and you can save a database to an mdb, unless you use some fancy stuff in it.
I haven't yet upgraded my A2013 to A2016.

Is that for definite? You cannot use an mdb with A20i6?

However, I am pretty sure you can't import an A97 mdb directly to A2013. You have to change it to an A2003 mdb first,

Ok. MS say A2016 is not compatible with A97 databases, but remains compatible with A2003 onwards.

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/msoffic...3a-29a70fdc1a00

--------------------
Dave (Male)

(Gemma was my dog)

theDBguy
post Nov 30 2016, 05:24 PM
Post#10

Hi Dave,

Thanks for the clarification. So I guess 2000 and up is okay but not 97. frown.gif

--------------------

TheSmileyCoder
post Dec 1 2016, 03:12 AM
Post#11

UtterAccess VIP

The latest version to support 97 is the 2010 version. You will need someone with version no later than 2010 to open it, and save it in 2000+ format.

--------------------
TheSmileyCoder // Anders Ebro (Access MVP)

~~~~~~~~
Blog: www.TheSmileyCoder.com
YouTube Channel: TheSmileyCoder

GroverParkGeorge
post Dec 1 2016, 11:13 AM
Post#12

UA Admin

If you don't mind sharing the mdb, I can try to pull it into Access 2003 and give it back. A2003 is the earliest version I still maintain, but that SHOULD work.

PM me only if you want to do that. Do not post it publically.
This post has been edited by GroverParkGeorge: Dec 1 2016, 11:13 AM

--------------------

theDBguy
post Dec 1 2016, 12:34 PM
Post#13

Hi Lenny,

Earlier, I recommended trying to use Excel, and you said it didn't work. I found the following quote while searching for an alternate solution. It was a two-year old post and was referring to 2013, but I was wondering if these were the same steps you tried:

I have "laundered data" through excel 2013 as follows

open excel and select the "data" tab.
select "from Access" and then copy the path to the data sourse from under the "connection" tab.
Then select the "provider " tab and then select "Microsoft Jet 4.0 OLE db provider"
Then select "Next" (dont select "OK") and paste the path into the database name field (or browse to it) Then select "OK"
This should get an Import Data dialog box and you can click ok to paste the data into excel

good luck

Cheers!

--------------------

LennyFL
post Dec 1 2016, 01:50 PM
Post#14

Thank You!

That was it. I got it to work.

Thanks,
Lenny

theDBguy
post Dec 1 2016, 01:53 PM
Post#15

Hi Lenny,

Thanks for the update. It's good to know this trick still applies to 2016.

Good luck with your project.

--------------------

gemmathehusky
post Dec 1 2016, 06:10 PM
Post#16

UtterAccess VIP

@DBGuy

I certainly skipped over the relevance of the "data only" bit.
I was hung up on converting code etc.

Obviously you could also just export each table to a csv, and then reimport in a new version.
It wouldn't come with indexes, but you would get the data back in to the new format.

--------------------
Dave (Male)

(Gemma was my dog)

theDBguy
post Dec 1 2016, 06:18 PM
Post#17

Hi Dave,

No worries.

Re: "Obviously you could also just export each table to a csv, and then reimport in a new version."

Are you referring to using Excel to import the data from the MDB and then exporting it to CSV from Excel?

--------------------

gemmathehusky
post Dec 1 2016, 07:44 PM
Post#18

UtterAccess VIP

no.

I just meant if you have data in a working A97 database, and want to get it into a A2016 database, you can just save each table as a csv/spreadsheet etc, and then import them back in, although you would have to reindex the tables, and set up any relationships again.

--------------------
Dave (Male)

(Gemma was my dog)

theDBguy
post Dec 2 2016, 11:39 AM
Post#19

Hi Dave,

Ah, I see what you mean. Unfortunately, the OP's problem is "how" to save each table as a csv/spreadsheet in the first place. Did you have any solution in mind? Remember, the OP only has Office 2016 available, which cannot "open" or "read" an Access 97 MDB database file. So, what other program did you have in mind to open the Access 97 MDB file, so the tables can be saved to CSV?

Cheers!

--------------------

gemmathehusky
post Dec 2 2016, 12:22 PM
Post#20

UtterAccess VIP

ah, now I see (said the blind man). You got me there, I thought the OP still had A97.

--------------------
Dave (Male)

(Gemma was my dog)

2 Pages V  1 2 >

Custom Search
RSSSearch   Top   Lo-Fi    24th November 2017 - 02:18 AM