UtterAccess.com
X   Site Message
(Message will auto close in 2 seconds)

Welcome to UtterAccess! Please ( Login   or   Register )

Custom Search

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Net Use For Remote Access, Any Versions    

ebwhittaker
post Dec 24 2016, 05:31 PM
Post#1

I have a windows10 based tablet that I would like to put the FE on and access the BE on the server it is connected to via either wifi or ethernet
I think I can use the Net Use but not sure if it will let me run the FE against the remote BE
Any ideas would be really appreciated.
Thanks
Ed
Go to the top of the page

GroverParkGeorge
post Dec 24 2016, 05:49 PM
Post#2

UA Admin

On the face of it, you should be able to do this. Access runs on a Windows Operating System. So if the tablet is running Windows 10, and the server is Windows based and can support Access, then, yes. If you can connect the tablet to the server, it should work.

However, there are a few caveats. First, Access doesn't work very well over WiFi. The reason for that is that network connections tend not to be stable enough for Access. That is a common problem with WiFi.

Second, I am not sure what "I think I can use the Net Use ..." means. Please elaborate on what you mean by "Net Use".

--------------------

ebwhittaker
post Dec 24 2016, 06:40 PM
Post#3

I know I can use net use to redirect a drive to a specific location (computer)
Since the FE and BE will be on two different computers both on their respective C: drives not sure how to have the FE access the BE which is why I was looking at the net use as a possibility
The connection will be via Ethernet to the router for both the tablet and server .. just not sure how to have the access work across the network
Ed

GroverParkGeorge
post Dec 25 2016, 07:57 PM
Post#4

UA Admin

If the two computers are available on the same network, i.e. if you can see files on one from the other, then linking the FE to the BE is very straightforward.

I'm not sure why you would need, or want to map the second computer, actually. It probably doesn't hurt, but it's not really something I'd worry about for this particular situation. I guess I'd have to say if you see some benefit, otherwise, go ahead and do it, though.

The key, rather, is that both computers are visible to each other on your LAN and that they both are running a Windows OS. If you intend to connect via Ethernet, then this is all you need to do. As previously mentioned, Wifi is definitely not recommended for Access.

--------------------

ebwhittaker
post Dec 27 2016, 11:27 AM
Post#5

OK I setup the file share on the server and put the cmp.mdb on the tablet. when I run the cmp.mdb it says it cannot find c:\cmp\cmp_be.mdb
which I understand cause it thinks it is on the same drive. so how do I get it to look on the server drive instead?
Thanks
Ed

GroverParkGeorge
post Dec 27 2016, 11:35 AM
Post#6

UA Admin

Can you use Windows Explorer to navigate to the location of the BE file? If so, copy the path to it.

Here's how it might look on MY LAN:

Attached File  2016_12_27_8_31_00.jpg ( 181.83K )Number of downloads: 7

GPConsulting is a VM I maintain for specific work on Access 2010. Note that the proper path to it starts \\Gpconsulting\....

That's what is usually referred to as the UNC, or Universal Naming Convention for locations on a LAN. Use that, rather than a mapped drive.

--------------------

ebwhittaker
post Dec 27 2016, 11:53 AM
Post#7

Using file Explorer on the tablet I can see the server (eds) and the folder cmp and the file cmp_be.mdb

GroverParkGeorge
post Dec 27 2016, 01:15 PM
Post#8

UA Admin

Then use that as the path for the linked tables.

\\eds\cmp\cmp_be.mdb

--------------------

ebwhittaker
post Dec 27 2016, 01:27 PM
Post#9

OK I see the problem .. on the tablet I am using Accesruntime rather than the full access program

ebwhittaker
post Dec 28 2016, 10:29 AM
Post#10

So you are saying I need the full Access on the tablet in order to do this?

GroverParkGeorge
post Dec 28 2016, 10:37 AM
Post#11

UA Admin

No. You can use the runtime Access. However, you must provide the full UNC path to the accdb file which contains the tables. Create an FE, relink it to those tables using the Linked Table manager, then copy it to the tablet. If the tablet contains the SAME VERSION of Access as the one you are using, it should run properly on the tablet.

--------------------

ebwhittaker
post Dec 31 2016, 11:29 AM
Post#12

OK I am definitely missing something here .. maybe a few brain neurons but I cannot find anywhere to set the BE path in the AccessRunTime ..If I go to file explorer I can see the BE on the server so that seems to be working ok .. still get the cannot find c:\cmp\cmp_be.mdb error on the tablet. Note please that the server is running access 2002
Sorry to be such a pain .. I was really hoping I can/could get this to work
Thanks
Ed
BTY Have a great New Year

GroverParkGeorge
post Dec 31 2016, 11:44 AM
Post#13

UA Admin

Well, that part about the version of Access on the server is a bit of useful additional information, but I doubt it's the issue, unless I'm confused about what's going on.

My understanding was that you have deployed a tablet with only the Access runtime on it. On the tablet you have deployed the FE as an mdb. Right? And what version of Access runtime is on the tablet? I assume that it is able to start the FE, even though it can't find the BE on the server.

So, what I'm wondering is why you don't create the link from the FE mdb to the BE mdb on the server using your own computer. Then simply copy the FE from your computer over to the tablet. If you used the full UNC path, rather than a mapped drive path, it should just find and use the BE mdb, as long as the tablet can start and run that FE.

--------------------

ebwhittaker
post Dec 31 2016, 11:54 AM
Post#14

Your scenario is correct but I still need to run the program on the server as well. So maybe what you are saying is on the server setup the BE link, upload the FE to the Tablet and then change the BE link back on the server?

GroverParkGeorge
post Dec 31 2016, 11:59 AM
Post#15

UA Admin

I don't see why you need to change the linking at all, really.

As I said, if you use the full UNC path to create the link-- \\eds\cmp\cmp_be.mdb -- it should work from ANY location on that network. Get it working, copy the FE to the location, or locations from which it needs to run.

--------------------

ebwhittaker
post Dec 31 2016, 01:14 PM
Post#16

OMG it actually worked .. I scare myself sometimes 😎.
Thanks for the help
Ed

GroverParkGeorge
post Dec 31 2016, 01:18 PM
Post#17

UA Admin

Sometimes persistence is the best tool in our toolbox.

Congratulations on resolving the problem. Continued success with your project.

--------------------

Custom Search
RSSSearch   Top   Lo-Fi    16th December 2017 - 11:52 AM