UtterAccess.com
X   Site Message
(Message will auto close in 2 seconds)

Welcome to UtterAccess! Please ( Login   or   Register )

Custom Search

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Windows 10 Enterprise And Updates, Not applicable    

ferreirah
post Jan 12 2017, 08:28 AM
Post#1

Hi,

I hope this is the right forum.
My brother bought me a 2 year old latop as a gift.
He lives in anonther country and got it second hand.
He put windows 10 enterprise on.
He had the laptop for several weeks before microsoft
announced that you would have to pay $7 per month
for windows 10 enterprise.
I don't know what the original operating system on the laptop
was but I am not spending any money at the moment and
I am still getting updates. There was an article on tech
republic about the $7 per month charge.
I am currently unemployed and can't afford that.
would microsoft at some stage stop their updates
to my windows 10 enterprise or is the $7 per month
onlly applicable to people who bought windows 10
after their announcement?

Thanks

H.F.
Go to the top of the page

GroverParkGeorge
post Jan 12 2017, 08:41 AM
Post#2

UA Admin

First, Windows 10 ENTERPRISE is aimed at enterprise users, not at individuals, so the fact that your brother installed that version on your previously used laptop makes me wonder a bit about why he picked that version and how he obtained it.

Second, although there has been talk of paying for Windows 10 subscriptions, this is the first I've seen any INDIVIDUAL being CHARGED for it. Are you getting billed, is the charge being applied to your credit card? How did your brother get your billing information? If he set this up in your name, he must have obtained that from you? Or did you transfer the account from him to you when you took possession of the laptop?

Of course, since this is an enterprise edition of Windows 10, the licensing and costs are subject to whatever rules apply, which include, as I understand it, that you buy through a volume license or similar plan, i.e. this isn't something an ordinary person would even consider buying for home use. I'd suggest you ask your brother how he got this licensed copy of Windows 10 and how he arranged to pay for it.

While I do sympathize with the situation you may be in, it's hard to know exactly what that situation.

--------------------

adaytay
post Jan 12 2017, 09:28 AM
Post#3

UtterAccess VIP

Microsoft announced that a specific version *only* will be billed at $7 per month, and it was introduced from September 2016. This was Windows 10 Enterprise E3, which is seperate to the usual Windows 10 Enterprise Edition.

I would suggest, unless you specifically have Windows 10 Enterprise E3, you will not be charged any any point. Whether the license on your machine stays valid is a different matter however, as if it's a pirated copy of Windows it *could* be tagged as not genuine in the future.

Refer to this for more information: http://www.pcworld.com/article/3094785/win...enterprise.html

--------------------
Cheers,

Adz.

GroverParkGeorge
post Jan 12 2017, 09:38 AM
Post#4

UA Admin

Thanks for the update on the subscription situation. Somehow I had missed the fact that MS was now charging for this specific version of Windows 10 Enterprise.

Which leads me back to my original point about why an individual would obtain and install an Enterprise version on a personal use laptop in the first place. Not that there's anything wrong with that given the greater feature set available. It's just not what one would ordinarily expect to see.

--------------------

adaytay
post Jan 12 2017, 09:42 AM
Post#5

UtterAccess VIP

Oh, I agree George - very unusual to see Enterprise on personal laptops. Maybe the brother works in IT. Maybe the copy is.... less than legit. Who knows.

There's two different subscription models now - monthly rental through the Cloud (just like Office 365 and Azure), and through Volume Licensing which is the older route most organisations generally go for. More details here: https://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/WindowsForBusiness/buy - I would expect the VL version to have been installed rather than the CSP (monthly payment) version.

--------------------
Cheers,

Adz.

GroverParkGeorge
post Jan 12 2017, 09:53 AM
Post#6

UA Admin

Yes, that thought crossed my mind....

I tend not to wade too deeply into the miasma of Windows 10/Office 365 licensing and subscriptions. It makes my head hurt. But, I guess I ought to do so.

--------------------

ferreirah
post Jan 12 2017, 11:48 AM
Post#7

Hi

Yes my brother works in IT and I used to as well.
Yes the licence is 100% genuine.
Thank you for the info about the E3 edition.
No my edition is without the E3 so I should get my updates.
Thanks again.

H.F.

Custom Search
RSSSearch   Top   Lo-Fi    12th December 2017 - 01:41 AM