UtterAccess.com
X   Site Message
(Message will auto close in 2 seconds)

Welcome to UtterAccess! Please ( Login   or   Register )

Custom Search

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Using Ado To Join And Query Text Files, Access 2013    

tbaker818
post Feb 22 2017, 01:53 PM
Post#1

I asked this question on StackOverflow, and it's gotten a total of 12 views in 19 days, no answers. The question is basically, can this be done? Here's the link to the actual question: http://stackoverflow.com/questions/4201384...uery-text-files
Go to the top of the page

orange999
post Feb 22 2017, 02:21 PM
Post#2

Can you show us a few records from your files?
Also, can you show us any code you have?
It might also help get some responses if you could tell us what you're trying to accomplish in simple terms.

Here is an old article that may be helpful.

--------------------
Good luck with your project!

tbaker818
post Feb 23 2017, 01:45 PM
Post#3

The simplified version of the query and connection string is at the StackOverflow link. I've overwritten the acutal code, but had simplified it down to be the same structure as what you see posted there. I attached two text files with samples of the data I was trying to join. I've been able to query them one at a time with the same code no problem.

As far as what I'm trying to accomplish, I've been able to do everything I need except SQL joins. That's it. Just can't get a join to work at all.
Attached File(s)
Attached File  Sample2.txt ( 198bytes )Number of downloads: 4
Attached File  Sample1.txt ( 489bytes )Number of downloads: 5

tbaker818
post Feb 24 2017, 01:30 PM
Post#4

Incidentally, I've already moved on from this issue and handled it another way, but the post you referenced does appear to have the key to my problem. I was using the same syntax that initially caused him the problem [file.txt].[fieldname]. This is fine if your'e not joining, but according to the post, you need to use [file#txt].[fieldname] and the text files need to be in the same format, for example CSV if you want to join.

My main question now is why he was able to get help on some forum I've never heard of but my carefully written StackOverflow post has seen 21 views in 21 days - no surprise I didn't get any answers. Is this reputation based? I'm a lowly 18.

orange999
post Mar 1 2017, 11:07 AM
Post#5

My main question now is why he was able to get help on some forum I've never heard of but my carefully written StackOverflow post has seen 21 views in 21 days - no surprise I didn't get any answers.

Excellent question.

But, forums in general are "staffed" by unpaid volunteers who have some experience with database, programming, networks etc etc.....and have some interest in the technology, want to give back to others, etc etc. Some have real jobs where they get paid, so that's their priority and the forums are often secondary.
People are "funny" --sometimes it is the topic; sometimes there's a keyword or phrase that draws attention to a post , sometimes it could be a misstated concept, sometimes it's merely a spelling mistake that jumps out to people and sometimes it empathy for a "beginner" who is struggling but trying.
Posters/responders do not have a single theme as to why they answer certain posts and/or ignore others.
Responders often will not respond to posters who cross post and don't say so in their post, and those who don't indicate if the answers they received were helpful and/or "solved" the issue.

Bottom line --there is no distinct answer to the question.
Why do some people buy yellow cars?
Why do some people leave shopping carts in the middle of the parking spaces when there is a cart rack 2 spaces away?

I think these fall in the same ball-park as your question.

I wouldn't take it as anything personal.

--------------------
Good luck with your project!

tbaker818
post Mar 2 2017, 12:17 AM
Post#6

I see. I guess I had never thought about it too much. It seems like most of them never got past the subject line on this one, but like you said it could be a lot of things. Thanks!

Custom Search
RSSSearch   Top   Lo-Fi    16th December 2017 - 07:23 PM