UtterAccess.com
X   Site Message
(Message will auto close in 2 seconds)

Welcome to UtterAccess! Please ( Login   or   Register )

Custom Search
2 Pages V  1 2 >  (Go to first unread post)
   Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Advice On Using Runtime I Access 2010, Access 2010    

Mick13
post Mar 22 2017, 08:13 AM
Post#1

Attached File  Package_Solution_Wizard.zip ( 254.42K )Number of downloads: 8

Hi
My Daughter has asked me to write a database for her to use at work but they do not have Access. The last time I did anything like this was years ago using the Access 97 Office Developer or whatever it was called.

Anyway, my queries are:

a) I have created a digital signature but cannot find a way of allocating it to the database. I can see you can Package and sign, however I want to use it where it is being used with a version utilising Package Solution and I cannot find a way of adding the signature.

b) When I have tried a test version after the set up files installed and have extracted, it then comes up with a Window...Microsoft Access Runtime 2010....Change your installation of Microsoft Access Runtime 2010...
Add or Remove Features
With these options
Repair
Remove
Enter Product Key

[Continue]

I am assuming this is for the machine it is being loaded on that does not have Access installed, is this correct?

As my machine already has Access I just close this Window without doing anything. Again is this correct

This does seem to work but on opening the downloaded database I get the digital signature warning which I would like to avoid.

c) Finally, I am not sure of a lot of what is required in the various windows and boxes in the Package Solution Wizard when creating the runtime version, does anybody know of a good source with examples. I have been looking via Google but what I am really after is an idiots guide. I have attached a word doc of what I have entered.

Thanks Mick

--------------------
Mick
Go to the top of the page

GroverParkGeorge
post Mar 22 2017, 10:55 AM
Post#2

UA Admin

I'm not sure about the issues described. However, my thoughts are as follows.

a) I'm not sure the digital certificate is really required in this situation. Does this office require it for software on their computers? If not, perhaps all you need to do is install the Runtime for them on the computers where it will be used, and copy the accdbs or accdes to the computers where it will be used.

b) This is probably because you are trying to install the runtime on your machine where you already have a licensed copy installed. Try it again on the work computer which doesn't already have Access installed and see if it raises the same problem.

c) Again, not being sure about it, I'd say you probably could achieve your goal by going into that office with your wife and installing the runtime on each computer which will be using your Access Front End. Then put the Back End accdb on the shared location where each user has permissions to read/write/delete files. Finally, set up one copy of the Front End to link to the tables in that Back End and copy that FE to the computers of each of the people who will use it.

This would be much more manual work for you, I suppose, but someone has to do the set up of the Back End, and the relinking of the Front Ends anyway, so maybe not all that much more. I'm also assuming we're not talking about a huge number of users. If you are planning this for dozens of workstations, of course, it's a different matter.

--------------------

Mick13
post Mar 22 2017, 11:51 AM
Post#3

Thanks for the reply.
I can see exactly what you are saying and had not thought of doing it that way. I think I will do as you say and not worry about the digital certificate or using the package solution wizard.
One question, if I load the runtime as suggested, do I need to create an association between the Front End and the runtime or will the front end automatically link to the runtime version.
Thanks
Mick

--------------------
Mick

GroverParkGeorge
post Mar 22 2017, 12:01 PM
Post#4

UA Admin

You'll have to create a shortcut that includes the path to the runtime and the path to the accdb on the user's computer.

Like this:

"C:\Program Files (x86)\Office15\MSACCESS.EXE" "F:\GroverPark\WorkEffort\WorkEffort.accdb"

--------------------

Mick13
post Mar 22 2017, 12:09 PM
Post#5

Sorry I am probably being stupid here. Is the shortcut all one line.

--------------------
Mick

GroverParkGeorge
post Mar 22 2017, 12:32 PM
Post#6

UA Admin

Yes, like this:

Attached File  2017_03_22_10_30_46.jpg ( 63.88K )Number of downloads: 7

--------------------

Mick13
post Mar 22 2017, 12:49 PM
Post#7

Thank you, that is perfect.

Mick

--------------------
Mick

Mick13
post Mar 24 2017, 02:36 PM
Post#8

Grover Park George
You suggest that I load runtime and a front end on the individual pc,s and the back end on the network.
That is fine and i understand.
Question Do I also need to load runtime on the network for the back end to work or will this not matter as the front end can extract the data.
Question 2
Could I just load runtime on the network to save loading it on the individual pc,so or is it better to load runtime on individual users pc,
I am guessing runtime won't work or has problems if you try and load on a network.
Thanks
Mick

--------------------
Mick

JonSmith
post Mar 24 2017, 02:47 PM
Post#9

Hi Mick,

You are totally misunderstanding what Access Runtime is. Its an application, like Access, or Excel or Word etc.

They allow you to open certain files and interact with them. Access Runtime lets you open Access databases and run them but prevents any structural or developmental changes.

As such each pc wanting to open the database must have an application installed to do so. In this case Runtime seems appropriate.

Now hopefully this now makes it clear why 'installing runtime on the network' makes no sense.

As for the FE BE setup. Thats to protect your data and prevent conflict and corruption of users in the FE. Each user has their own FE. Ideally on their local drive.

Mick13
post Mar 24 2017, 03:10 PM
Post#10

Thanks John

Yes I fully understand the purpose of front and back ends and have indeed built many databases this way over the years. My problem is, that where I used to work we were all on a network and everybody had Access. So I have never worked with Runtime, although I used to supply a database using Office Developer some years ago, which appears similar to Runtime.

Excuse my ignorance but I thought if you had a product, say Word, you could load it on the network and then make it available to all users, obviously I am wrong.

I appreciate I have to load a separate front end on each pc but I thought it might be possible to load runtime on the network and direct the individual front ends to this to save loading Runtime on all the individual PC's.

From what you are saying this is not possible so will load the individual PC's with the front ends and runtime.

I also guess in answer to my other question, I assume I do not need runtime on the network to run the back end as the data will be extracted via the front ends and the front ends will already be running under Runtime from the individual PC's.

Hope this makes sense, I have no way of testing as I have no network at home to try this.

Mick

--------------------
Mick

AlbertKallal
post Mar 24 2017, 03:20 PM
Post#11

UtterAccess VIP

The runtime is NOT any different than the full version of Access except that it hides some of the UI and removes the ability to make design changes.

In other words, don’t think of the runtime as some special or different setup.

The path names, the location and in fact ALL of the .dll’s that the runtime installs is the SAME as the full version of Access.

Once you install the runtime (or now that your realize – the full edition of Access) then

You can simply browse to any accDE file and click on it to launch that application. So there is not some “mystery” connection between any mdb or accDB you copy to that machine and the Access full or runtime. It really like installing word or Excel. Once installed then a file name association occurs with that application.

Of course as noted it likely a good idea to supply a shortcut on the user’s desktop for convenience sake.

And just like word, or some PDF reader – installing that on the server has rather little to do with software installed on each computer. The fact that someone installs Word on a workstation to the left of you, or on some server has little effect on the workstation.

The software you are creating and running is placed on each workstation. So what you do or do not install on the server not really an issue here (so no, you don’t install a PDF reader on the server for each workstation to use – you have to install the PDF reader on each workstation).

I explain in detail the “concept” of the runtime, and why you install software on each workstation here:

http://www.kallal.ca/RunTime/Index.html

I do however suggest that you always distribute an accDE (compiled) application to your users. The main benefit is that un-handled errors NEVER re-set your variables (global or local) and in the case of the runtime un-handled errors in a accDB will shut down the runtime, were has using a compiled accDE means the runtime never shuts down due to errors – even un-handled ones.

Regards,
Albert D. Kallal (Access MVP)
Edmonton, Alberta Canada
kallal@msn.com

Mick13
post Mar 24 2017, 03:45 PM
Post#12

Thank you and the link http://www.kallal.ca/RunTime/Index.html
is really informative as well.

--------------------
Mick

JonSmith
post Mar 24 2017, 06:02 PM
Post#13

Mick, think of the server as a place to dump files. You need something locally installed to do something with the file otherwise its just a bunch of 1's and 0's

The only thing you access from a server is files, you dont access applications.
Each user needs their own copy of runtime installed (an application like Excel or Word) and they each need their own copy of the front end file.

Mick13
post Mar 25 2017, 04:24 AM
Post#14

Thanks Jon
Yes I mistakenly thought you could load a programme like Word etc on a server and then make it available to everybody. I now understand and will load the Front End and Runtime on the 5 individual PC,s and the Back End on the network and link the FE to BE.
I will also do as suggested and make the front ends accde.
Thanks to everybody who replied.
Mick

--------------------
Mick

JonSmith
post Mar 25 2017, 07:52 AM
Post#15

Great, sounds like you are on track. Good luck Mick.

moke123
post Mar 25 2017, 09:45 AM
Post#16

its been quite a while since i installed a runtime db but if i recall correctly there is no linked table manager to set up the link between front and back ends. For this reason I usually add J-street relinker to the project to make installation easier. It also comes in handy if there are changes to the network or backend. You can find it here

Mick13
post Mar 26 2017, 01:48 PM
Post#17

Thanks

I was planning on creating a folder on a drive on the network drive, so say its the G drive I was going to create a folder and put the back end here, say G:\data\samplebakend.accdb.

Then I was going to name my second drive on my PC as G: and create the same folder here and place the back end here and then link the front end to this.

Would this work or will the front end loose the link when I transfer. If so I will try the suggestion above.

Thanks

Mick

--------------------
Mick

moke123
post Mar 26 2017, 04:17 PM
Post#18

i believe that may work, provided everyone's got the same mapped drive. I believe its preferred to use a UNC.
I only mention Jstreet relinker because it easy to integrate and free. When you start the app Jstreet will automatically check for the back end and prompt you if not connected. you only need to navigate to the backend file and select it and it will link the tables. Simple enough for your users to do themselves.

HiTechCoach
post Mar 26 2017, 05:59 PM
Post#19

UtterAccess VIP

Mick,

First, I would use a mapped drive letter like L:\ or later. My PC has drives to I:\ that are local!

TIP: you can create a mapped drive letter to a any folder on your PC that has a share configured.

When you transfer the front end it does remember the path to the back end. As long as the back end is in the exact same path at the other location then you are fine. If not, then you have to relink to the back end. That is why moke123 suggested including some relinking code that will work with the Access Runtime version. If you are using the UNC path (not a mapped drive letter) to the back end then the relinking code is normally required when using the Access Runtme.

--------------------
Boyd Trimmell aka Hi Tech Coach ( HiTechCoach.com free Access stuff)
Microsoft MVP 2010-2015 - Access Expert
Inventory Control, Accounting, BPM, and CRM Software Developer
"If technology doesn't work for people, then it doesn't work."

Mick13
post Mar 27 2017, 01:25 AM
Post#20

Thanks everybody.
Yes I have 4 additional drives on my PC so I was planning to rename a spare one to the same drive letter that is on the network (when I get too see it|).
Hopefully the link will remain, if not I will try JStreet Re-Linker as suggested.

--------------------
Mick

2 Pages V  1 2 >

Custom Search
RSSSearch   Top   Lo-Fi    16th December 2017 - 11:30 PM