UtterAccess.com
X   Site Message
(Message will auto close in 2 seconds)

Welcome to UtterAccess! Please ( Login   or   Register )

Custom Search

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Sharepoint Template List Type, SharePoint 2013    

Brwnsgr
post Mar 24 2017, 05:56 PM
Post#1

Hi Gang
I'm using SP 365 but that wasn't a version option.

I have exported the data tables from Access 2016 to SharePoint. For some tables, SP applied what look like templates to them and have added (and in some cases) removed fields.

For example: I have an Access table called tblEmployees. On SP it has the same name but it's Type is Contact List (not List) and it has a number of fields that I do not require. The fields show up in Access on my desktop and a number of the captions are identical so I have to go to SP and delete those columns one at a time, which is a pain. I have a number of tables that this has happened to.

Is there anyway to stop SP from using these templates for the tables with specific names? I absolutely DID NOT use templates when I created the tables many many years ago.

--------------------
Thanks for the brainwaves,

Claire
"Beam me up Scotty!.......Please!!!"
Go to the top of the page

GroverParkGeorge
post Mar 25 2017, 09:39 AM
Post#2

UA Admin

Actually, Office 365, or as you call it, SP 365, runs on SharePoint. Currently, I believe most sites would be on SharePoint 2016, but it is possible some are still on SharePoint 2013. Eventually, they all migrate to the current version, I believe. In any event SP "365" is primarily a branding thing.

The additional fields you see are part of the SharePoint environment and I really don't see any value in deleting them. You probably won't harm anything by removing them, but it's not really necessary and not necessarily a good idea.

If you don't want to deal with them in Access, you are probably better off hiding them in the tables and treating the tables as you would otherwise.

In short, messing around with the "internals" tends not to be the most effective practice.

--------------------

GroverParkGeorge
post Mar 25 2017, 09:42 AM
Post#3

UA Admin

I'd be much more concerned about fields that you see missing from your tables after the migration. SP should not be removing anything like that.

Are you sure they are gone, and not just hidden?

--------------------

Brwnsgr
post Mar 25 2017, 11:47 AM
Post#4

Hi GPG, thanks for popping in.

My primary key field in Access is EmpID, as shown in the AccessFields attachment. Attached File  AccessFields.GIF ( 12.3K )Number of downloads: 0

I have also attached what I see in SP, the SPFields attachment. Attached File  SPFields.GIF ( 13.16K )Number of downloads: 0
...I did delete SP fields but I can recreate so that the schema is not messed up.

I think the field must be hidden because it appears to have done the same thing for my Customer table and others. Fair enough, if that's what it has to do.... although it's annoying that I can not see my own field....

HOWEVER, can I stop it from using these schema templates all together? It seems like extra baggage that could cause me grief later and the functionality definitely does not apply for this project.

Extra Note - SP made Last Name a Required Field?!?!?!?!!!! Again, part of the template garbage that I do not want and I can not find where to turn it off in the list settings.

Thanks

--------------------

Claire

GroverParkGeorge
post Mar 25 2017, 12:01 PM
Post#5

UA Admin

I see and I think I now know what happened.

SharePoint WILL create its own ID to serve as the Primary Key and it will rename your existing ID field, as shown. I blogged about this years ago, and Albert Kallal has an explanation, if I recall correctly, on YouTube.

I strongly recommend not trying to second-guess what SharePoint is doing here. The functionality of these lists is not negatively impacted by having the fields SharePoint wants to manage data there. You don't have to use them if you don't want to use them. I'm not sure there'd be a problem after deleting them, but there is no point to doing so.

--------------------

theDBguy
post Mar 25 2017, 12:05 PM
Post#6

Access Wiki and Forums Moderator

Hi Claire,

Can you please tell us exactly how you "exported" your tables to O365? Not sure how many ways there are but just want to make sure we are on the same page... Thanks.

--------------------
Just my 2 cents... "And if I claim to be a wise man, it surely means that I don't know" - Kansas
Microsoft Access MVP | Access Website | Access Blog | Email

Brwnsgr
post Mar 25 2017, 01:00 PM
Post#7

Thanks for your explanations, I will take a look at the references your provided.

To Export/Upload to SP, I simply went to: Database Tools, Move Data, Sharepoint. Then you get the linked lists in your FE.
Is there a difference in what SP might do using: External Data, Export, Sharepoint List?

Thanks

--------------------

Claire

theDBguy
post Mar 25 2017, 02:49 PM
Post#8

Yeah, I was going to say you could try other methods of exporting the tables to SP just to see if the result is different. Otherwise, you might also try doing it manually. Just thinking out loud... can you paste a bunch of records from Access or Excel into a SP List?

--------------------
Just my 2 cents... "And if I claim to be a wise man, it surely means that I don't know" - Kansas

Brwnsgr
post Mar 26 2017, 04:04 PM
Post#9

Hi DB Guy

Yes, I can copy and paste records into the SP Lists. However, because of the template, in tblShippers, I have to populate my ShipLast (Shipper Contact Last Name) field with a "last name" or else it won't paste.
I think I will be streamlining my fields and removing anything that is not absolutely required so that, hopefully, I have fewer template specific "required" fields.

Thanks.

--------------------

Claire

theDBguy
post Mar 26 2017, 04:12 PM
Post#10

Hi Claire,

If you can copy and paste into SP Lists, then one possible approach is to manually create a Custom List and then just populate it with data from your table. This avoids the Export/Import Wizard and the use of templates.

Just a thought...

--------------------

Brwnsgr
post Mar 28 2017, 02:40 PM
Post#11

This is true. However, I have a fair number of tables so I appreciate SP hanging onto the Lookup relationships etc. Doing that manually would be a major pain.
So, I think I will clean things up on the Access end and then try it again.
Knowing what SP is going to toss about makes a big difference.

Thanks for all the input! cheers.gif

--------------------

Claire

theDBguy
post Mar 28 2017, 02:55 PM
Post#12

Hi Claire,

Good luck, but just a little bit of clarification... SharePoint has no concept of "relationship" because it is not a database application. You can manually "create" relationships in SP Lists by using a Lookup Column.

So, if the only thing you're trying to hang on to is the lookup values, then you should be able to create them manually, and then you don't have to deal with the extraneous fields you don't need.

Just my 2 cents...

--------------------

Brwnsgr
post Mar 28 2017, 04:28 PM
Post#13

Thanks. My terminology wasn't great. I did rebuild all of my relationships in Access as Lookups since that is how SP thinks.
I will see what happens after my tidying up......I might end up recreating them (again!!!) on SP which would really make me grouchy.

--------------------

Claire

Custom Search
RSSSearch   Top   Lo-Fi    14th December 2017 - 01:17 AM