UtterAccess.com
X   Site Message
(Message will auto close in 2 seconds)

Welcome to UtterAccess! Please ( Login   or   Register )

Custom Search

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Advice Needed In Moving From Awa Backend Db To SQL Azure, Access 2013 Web App    

OldMike
post Mar 30 2017, 10:11 AM
Post#1

With the announcement by Microsoft that they are to discontinue AWAs - see new item and discussion here: Access Web Apps - end of the Road we are looking at how we move on from our current solution. We use a AWA database as a backend to Frontend desktop clients, potentially the most obvious solution is to move to SQL Azure though there are potential cost and expertise issues in this.

We're a relatively small not for profit organisation, so costs are always an issue e.g. we use 0365/Sharepoint to share our data across sites avoiding the need for an in-house network. At the moment we have three AWA databases, these are effectively Development, PreLive/Pilot and Live for our main application. If we moved to Azure I think that we'd need a minimum of two PreLive/Pilot and Live - my assumption being that we could develop using some variant of SQL Server Express and then carry out final proving testing in PreLive/Pilot - does this seem a reasonable approach.

From my own perspective I have no experience of SQL server so I'm assuming that I need to get some level of expertise in this, plus I'd need to learn some level SQL Server Management Studio. Any advice on the best approach to developing the requisite knowledge also is there anything else that you think is needed.
Go to the top of the page

theDBguy
post Mar 30 2017, 10:25 AM
Post#2

Access Wiki and Forums Moderator

Hi,

Have you considered remote services like this one?

Just a thought...

--------------------
Just my 2 cents... "And if I claim to be a wise man, it surely means that I don't know" - Kansas
Microsoft Access MVP | Access Website | Access Blog | Email

GroverParkGeorge
post Mar 30 2017, 10:31 AM
Post#3

UA Admin

The default is to export your AWA tables to SharePoint lists. They will end up in a subsite on your existing O365 site. Theoretically, that means you could transfer the data, then relink your accdb to those lists and go on as before, using the same O365 account as now. I say theoretically because I'm just now trying the first export. We do not have an existing accdb for it, so I have no idea how well it's eventually going to work. I'll be posting on my blog as I learn from my experiences with some of the AWAs I currently own or support.

There is a fairly straightforward way to migrate the data from your AWA's SQL Azure database into another SQL Server database. That can be on-premises on SQL Azure or another hosted SQL Server database. I'm writing a blog post right now on that topic. Basically it involves extracting the dacpac from the app package you create when you use the "Save As" option in your accdw for the AWA. I'll update here and on my blog when that's ready.

Finally, while there will be some issues in any migration, the fact that you are already using a hybrid approach puts you well ahead of the curve.

You can download the SSMS free. Once you have settled on a suitable replacement for the back end, you can manage it from this tool.

And there is a silver lining here as well. Once you get into the full SQL Azure environment, a lot of additional tools and functions you don't get with AWAs now are available as you learn to use them.

--------------------

DanielPineault
post Mar 30 2017, 10:31 AM
Post#4

UtterAccess VIP

Just one more idea to consider, a client of mine just, setup a VM on Azure and the remote access their db from anywhere through the web, but I won't lie, there are costs associate to such a solution.

--------------------
Daniel Pineault (2010-2017 Microsoft MVP)
Professional Help: http://www.cardaconsultants.com
Free MS Access Code, Tips, Tricks and Samples: http://www.devhut.net

* Design should never say "Look at me". It should always say "Look at this". -- David Craib
* A user interface is like a joke, if you have to explain it, it's not that good! -- Martin LeBlanc

All code samples, demonstration databases, links,... are provided 'AS IS' and are to be used at your own risk! Take the necessary steps to check, validate ...

OldMike
post Apr 2 2017, 02:48 PM
Post#5

Hi DBGuy, sorry for delayed response (domestic stuff), so not able to give much time to this question - interesting - I'll give it some thought.

OldMike
post Apr 2 2017, 03:00 PM
Post#6

Hi George, sorry for the delay in replying (domestic stuff). Thanks for your reply.

Am I right in thinking that if we used Sharepoint tables they we would be downloaded to each front end and synchronised. Before we moved to our curren solution we were using an Access 2010 Web Database which used this architecture. It gave us some issues with synchronisation if a user was disconnected and updated their copy of the DB while someone else also updated the same record, I suspect we'd risk this type of issue again with Sharepoint tables - am I correct? Also with the Access 2013 solution we use some backend table macros and I'd quite like the same functionality in whatever solution we move to, so Sharepoint's not particularly attractive unless there's nothing else.

I've had a look at the Azure costings that I think that we might incur if we go that route and they don't look as bad as I feared, though I need to have discussions with others on this. The next step is for me to get my head round what I need to learn about Azure, SSMS (thanks for the link) and anything I need to understand.

I can see that if we do go the Azure route there would be benefits in having better administration of the BE.

OldMike
post Apr 2 2017, 03:02 PM
Post#7

Thanks Daniel apologies for delay in replying (domestic stuff). I had a look at the costs for VM - unfortunately even the basic setup looks far too much for us.

Custom Search
RSSSearch   Top   Lo-Fi    11th December 2017 - 08:02 PM