UtterAccess.com
X   Site Message
(Message will auto close in 2 seconds)

Welcome to UtterAccess! Please ( Login   or   Register )

Custom Search

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Access Odbc Timeout On Linked SQL Server Views    

ws1o
post Apr 6 2017, 03:27 PM
Post#1

I have a View on a SQL Server that runs a bit slow (it takes a couple of minutes). I can get the results just fine in SQL Server Management Studio, but when I link to the View in Microsoft Access 2016 and then try to open the view, I get an ODBC timeout error.

Does anyone know if there is any way to change the Access ODBC timeout setting to let this take as long as it needs to run?
Go to the top of the page

PhilS
post Apr 7 2017, 02:41 AM
Post#2

It might not be required to open the view as a whole at all. Most likely you only need to query some of the data from it, which might be much faster.

If querying only the needed data from the view still runs into the timeout, create a stored query in Access to retrieve the data from the view. A query has an ODBC Timeout-Property you can set to your requirements. If you need to query the data in VBA code, use a QueryDef-Object with the SQL of your query on the view. The QueryDef-Object has the ODBCTimeout-Property as well.

--------------------

ws1o
post Apr 7 2017, 07:30 AM
Post#3

That's what I'm doing, for now: I created a pass-through query that pulls data from the saved View.

PhilS
post Apr 7 2017, 12:37 PM
Post#4

I created a pass-through query that pulls data from the saved View.

Good idea.
It should even work with a query on the linked view inside Access. That would be update-able provided the base view is and you manually defined a unique key on the linked table (view) in Access.

--------------------

Custom Search
RSSSearch   Top   Lo-Fi    14th December 2017 - 01:02 AM