UtterAccess.com
X   Site Message
(Message will auto close in 2 seconds)

Welcome to UtterAccess! Please ( Login   or   Register )

Custom Search

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Deployment Technique, Access 2007    

ThatGuyFromGTAV
post Apr 12 2017, 02:06 PM
Post#1

Hi there

I've recently deployed a simple split database to a few dozen users. It was a very exciting time for me because I've never done this before. I now have a list of "feedback" basically user change requests, and additions that I'm working through on my local copy of the FE. My question is about deployment.

Is there a quick way to deploy to dozens of users? At this point I have to go sit at each users desk and save the new FE over the existing one in the users "my documents", and re-link the tables to the BE. I anticipate several releases of the FE over the coming months, is there a faster way to deploy than going to each users machine and doing the process I described above?

Thanks
Adam
Go to the top of the page

moke123
post Apr 12 2017, 02:52 PM
Post#2

look in the code archives and also google "frontend updater" You should find several examples.

ScottGem
post Apr 12 2017, 02:57 PM
Post#3

UtterAccess VIP / UA Clown

There are several versions of FE Updaters out there. I use a commercial one Auto FE Updater, but there are some free ones in our archives.

the premise of all these is that the master copy of the FE is stored in a server location. When the user launches the app, the app first checks to see if its the latest. If its not, it downloads the latest then launches it.

Note, there should be no reason to relink the back end. Once you are ready to deploy, you update the links and then just deploy the FE.

--------------------
Scott <>
Scottgem's Blog
Microsoft Access MVP since 2007
Author: Microsoft Office Access 2007 VBA

Custom Search
RSSSearch   Top   Lo-Fi    13th December 2017 - 12:33 AM