UtterAccess.com
X   Site Message
(Message will auto close in 2 seconds)

Welcome to UtterAccess! Please ( Login   or   Register )

Custom Search

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> How To Thank - Mildly Conflicting Guidelines    

Jaiket
post May 9 2017, 03:07 AM
Post#1

Hello,
I personally feel that any stranger who helps me deserves explicit thanks every time. Public thanks feels right to me.

The forum guidelines say this "Most Important of All: "..."Politeness and appreciation go a long way."
"How to post a good question" doesn't appear to be saying quite the same thing - "Thank people who are particularly helpful - but privately."
One aspect of politeness is respecting privacy. I don't feel at ease with intruding in someone's private message box just to say thanks; Allen Browne and Crystal (strive4peace) brought me great insight in words I could understand, but Allen has moved on, and Crystal is off private messages in UA.

UtterAccess is indeed a welcoming place, but before you realise that, it's kind of scary you might put a foot wrong. The Internet sometimes bites. I didn't know what to expect - I actually only signed on to download an email database from the code archive.

Then I tried a couple of quickies and got answered by people I already knew by their publications and websites and I had immense respect for them. It scared the jeebies out of me.

I then got catapulted through all my unanswered global questions in no time. I have a deep-seated need to publicly thank all posters for their help, and I can't see that going away.

dance.gif uarulez2.gif like.png thanks.gif dance.gif

--------------------
UA = Unsurpassable Assistance. Couldn't do it without you.
Go to the top of the page

BruceM
post May 9 2017, 07:18 AM
Post#2

UtterAccess VIP

I think the point about private thanks for people who are especially helpful is not to say you shouldn't offer thanks in the public forum, which is often done. Think of it this way: If you are moving to another house or apartment and some friends and neighbors show up to help you load or unload a few heavy items, you are likely to thank them all when the particular task has been completed. But somebody is there for the whole day, helps give the place a final cleaning at the end of the move, and then helps lug some heavy items into the new house. You may send that person a note or other personal thanks separately from the general expression of appreciation. That person knows you have a lot of work to do, and is not expecting any special thanks, but no doubt appreciates it.

Posting a good question means (among other things) providing enough detail to express the question clearly, using real examples (with made-up names and companies as needed), answering requests for additional information needed to define the situation, and trying what has been suggested. The most frustrating exchanges tend to be the ones that start with a vague question, then provide incomplete responses to requests for additional information, so that it is at about the tenth posting in the thread where the situation is finally understood well enough to offer a suggestion. Then sometimes the person asks if the solution will work in their situation, and you have to ask if they tried the suggestion.

Remember that people volunteer at UtterAccess. We respond because we choose to do so. For me, helping find a response often shows me something I hadn't considered, and in working out an answer I discover something helpful to me. It works both ways. And I have learned a lot from following threads in which I do not respond. UtterAccess is, among other things, a gathering of people with similar interests, for mutual benefit.

River59
post May 9 2017, 07:43 AM
Post#3

Well put, Bruce. I also find that a simple thank you lets the person(s) helping know that you read their suggestion. Sometimes posters seem to just 'disappear' and we are left not knowing if we helped them or not. I personally always acknowledge the assistance. My appreciation for that assistance cannot be put in words but a simple thanks for the help seems to go a long way.

--------------------
Remember ... Armstrong, Aldrin and Collins flew to the moon and back with a computer system less complex than a modern, programmable toaster ...

Jaiket
post May 9 2017, 01:21 PM
Post#4

Thanks Bruce, and thanks River59 - I can imagine it is frustrating when the solution is also the last thing posted.

--------------------

BruceM
post May 9 2017, 02:03 PM
Post#5

UtterAccess VIP

Some people aren't as courteous as others. I don't spend much time worrying about it. Glad to hear UA has been a positive experience for you.

doctor9
post May 9 2017, 02:18 PM
Post#6

UtterAccess Editor

Jaiket,

Honestly, the only "thank you" posts that are really a bother are the ones where someone posts simply "thank you!" on a discussion from years ago, because they found a solution in that older discussion. Those sort of posts don't really contribute much, partly because the original posters are probably not active any more, plus it unnecessarily bumps the old post back into the list of active discussions, which volunteers use to find threads where they can help people out.

A good time to thank someone: If you ask for help with a problem, then you get two or more suggestions from different volunteers, and one of the suggestions works, thanking the person with the working suggestion helps to reduce confusion, and prevents the volunteers from wondering (a) if their suggestion was helpful, and (b) clarifies what the working solution was.

On the list of priorities/concerns, "thank you"s are way off of our radar. Nothing to get worked up about, really. Just use common sense as your guide. smile.gif

Hope this clarifies things for you,

Dennis

--------------------
(;,;) Li'l Cthulu says: Please talk about what you're trying to do, as well as how you're doing it.
Changing your real table name to "Table1" and your real form name to "Form1" in your posts makes it more difficult to understand what's going on, not easier.
Guidelines for Posting Questions

Jaiket
post May 9 2017, 02:38 PM
Post#7

It does indeed Dennis.

--------------------

Custom Search
RSSSearch   Top   Lo-Fi    16th December 2017 - 07:28 PM