UtterAccess.com
X   Site Message
(Message will auto close in 2 seconds)

Welcome to UtterAccess! Please ( Login   or   Register )

Custom Search

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Typo Game Easter Egg?    

Jaiket
post May 15 2017, 02:24 AM
Post#1

Hi,
I noticed a typo in the forum which seems curiously consistent. Ohave, Odid, Ocould instead of I have, I did, I could. They appear to be always at the start of a new line.
Maybe some auto-correction? Of course I do not think it is deliberate, but I found it a fun game.
You can predict them by picking a verb, adding the typo and searching for the resulting "word". I just tried Onoticed, and got a score of 75. My top score was 783 for Odid.
My real intention is of course to inform the administrators of what may be an anomaly in the site.

--------------------
UA = Unsurpassable Assistance. Couldn't do it without you.
Go to the top of the page

pere_de_chipstic...
post May 15 2017, 03:19 AM
Post#2

UtterAccess Editor

Hi Jaiket

I believe this originated some while ago when UtterAccess moved to a new server and interface back in (IIRC) 2014. The beginning of some sentences were truncated and while some were fixed, there remain a number that you can still see. This is of course historical and you shouldn't see any new posts with these errors - unless typed in by the post's author!

Don't be misled by all of the hits in your searches as some of them (e.g. Odid) correctly reflect the names given to tables and are shown in posted queries.

Cheers

--------------------
Warm regards
Bernie

Jaiket
post May 15 2017, 04:22 AM
Post#3

Thanks Bernie,
I searched for "select Odid", thinking I would find query posts including the table-names you mentioned, but I didn't.
I get the feeling that misleading oneself with improper conclusions is at the root of quite a few issues in the forum. I feel it is a similar phenomenon to inefficient coding choices (variable flow, position of code within objects..), and that if I can grasp these global issues correctly in the learning stage I will save time.
My search for "select Odid" didn't find me the posts you mentioned, where did I do wrong?

--------------------

pere_de_chipstic...
post May 15 2017, 04:50 AM
Post#4

UtterAccess Editor

Hi Jaiket

The search criteria can be very specific, and if you search for "select Odid" it will only return those posts which have that specific string, search for "Odid" will return posts that include this topic

You are right though, that often in both members question and in replies there are inherent assumptions and understandings in the posts that aren't necessarily shared; often made more complicated if the primary language of some posters is not English. Quite often a number of posts in a thread work towards a common understanding before a solution can be found and is one of the reasons behind UAs guidelines on the site.

Cheers

--------------------
Warm regards
Bernie

Jaiket
post May 15 2017, 06:21 AM
Post#5

Thanks Bernie,
I had assumed I knew how the search criteria worked. I didn't spot that Odid had ID in it, either.

--------------------

Custom Search
RSSSearch   Top   Lo-Fi    10th December 2017 - 06:59 PM