UtterAccess.com
X   Site Message
(Message will auto close in 2 seconds)

Welcome to UtterAccess! Please ( Login   or   Register )

Custom Search

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Ribbon Stops Functioning, Access 2016    

Katty
post May 16 2017, 09:42 AM
Post#1

Hi all,

I have a bit of a strange one. I am guessing it is either something to do with my install or local computer, but I wanted to check to see if anyone else had this problem. Or better yet had a cause/resolve.

I can load and use a custom ribbon just fine... until I open VBA code. Then about half the time, the drop down menu items will stop allowing me to select them. I can still change ribbon tabs, and select the top of a drop down menu, but I can't select any items in that menu. Once this happens, the only way to regain the ability to use the ribbon (as almost all the items are in drop down menus) is to close the database and start again without code open. 1 out of 10 times the entire ribbon will go "white" and I won't be able to get it to show up unless I can find the "File" tab by randomly clicking in the right area and go to the file menu and back to the ribbon.

The other thing this does however is make it incredibly difficult for me to test items as I have to put stops in the code instead of using break points in order to see where a problem is. Once the database goes into code, I need to close and restart it again to run another test.

A college of mine that was working on the database while I was away, has had no issue with the custom ribbon and could switch in and out of code without losing any functionality. The ribbon also functions fine for the users (their file is an accde).

I work for a big company, so I can't just "re-install" access/office due to security on the PC. If it makes any difference we use Office installed through our work office 365 accounts. The ribbon xml is held in UsysRibbon. All ribbons are loaded at time of database open and each form has a ribbon assigned (most the "main" ribbon with a few special ones). The ribbon works perfectly with no strangeness in Access 2007 which is where it was originally written.

Thanks for any help anyone can give.

Katty
Go to the top of the page

DanielPineault
post May 16 2017, 12:09 PM
Post#2

UtterAccess VIP

Any chance you could perform an Office Repair?

--------------------
Daniel Pineault (2010-2017 Microsoft MVP)
Professional Help: http://www.cardaconsultants.com
Free MS Access Code, Tips, Tricks and Samples: http://www.devhut.net

* Design should never say "Look at me". It should always say "Look at this". -- David Craib
* A user interface is like a joke, if you have to explain it, it's not that good! -- Martin LeBlanc

All code samples, demonstration databases, links,... are provided 'AS IS' and are to be used at your own risk! Take the necessary steps to check, validate ...

Katty
post May 17 2017, 07:13 AM
Post#3

I can't run repair myself, but I managed to get someone from systems to do it. There wasn't any change.

So I un-installed all add-ins and added them back in one by one. The one add-in proved to be the problem. When I had a look, it was written for A2007 and before, so obviously something it did made A2016 get upset. It didn't initially cause problems, so I am guessing that a patch has broken it. Oh well, I'll do without now.

Thanks guys,

Katty

edit: really bad typo I missed.

jwhite
post May 17 2017, 08:19 AM
Post#4

UtterAccess VIP

Which add-in did you find caused the problem?

--------------------

DanielPineault
post May 17 2017, 09:57 AM
Post#5

UtterAccess VIP

Ditto as to what John (jwhite) said. We'd love to know which add-in caused the issue for future reference.

--------------------
Daniel Pineault (2010-2017 Microsoft MVP)
Professional Help: http://www.cardaconsultants.com
Free MS Access Code, Tips, Tricks and Samples: http://www.devhut.net

* Design should never say "Look at me". It should always say "Look at this". -- David Craib
* A user interface is like a joke, if you have to explain it, it's not that good! -- Martin LeBlanc

All code samples, demonstration databases, links,... are provided 'AS IS' and are to be used at your own risk! Take the necessary steps to check, validate ...

Katty
post May 19 2017, 06:15 AM
Post#6

It was Mz-Tools 3.0.

Still works great in the 2007 environment but causes the problems I described in the 2016.

I know it has now gone to version 8 and is paid for, but I will never get my organization to pay for it, so I am without the great tool now. It worked so well for what I needed it for for so many years, I will miss it. I might still use it when writing stuff and disable it when testing... just because I don't know what I would do without. However, I won't spend my own money for a licence that I won't be able to take with me.

Katty

Custom Search
RSSSearch   Top   Lo-Fi    16th December 2017 - 01:40 PM