UtterAccess.com
X   Site Message
(Message will auto close in 2 seconds)

Welcome to UtterAccess! Please ( Login   or   Register )

Custom Search

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Handwriting Recognizition, Access 2003    

richardp
post May 23 2017, 02:56 PM
Post#1

I have an Access 2003 database where I can search the definitions column by typing in words, or search the code column by typing in codes. But I am not familiar with the newest versions of Access and what they can maybe do with touch screens and handwriting recognition.

Question: I can search the definitions column by typing in words in the search field. Do new versions of Access have any ability to recognize handwriting and then use that as the search term? I'm not asking for code. Just for whether the concept is possible in newer versions of Access. Is there something available that is more straightforward than using a handwriting app to translate handwriting to text, and then use that text as the search term in Access? Can Access recognize handwriting directly?

Thanks for any info you can share.
Go to the top of the page

theDBguy
post May 23 2017, 03:06 PM
Post#2

Access Wiki and Forums Moderator

Hi Richard,

Welcome to UtterAccess!
welcome2UA.gif

I am not aware of any new capabilities in Access to recognize handwriting but there may be third-party add-ins for it.

Just a thought...

--------------------
Just my 2 cents... "And if I claim to be a wise man, it surely means that I don't know" - Kansas
Microsoft Access MVP | Access Website | Access Blog | Email

kfield7
post May 23 2017, 03:51 PM
Post#3

Could you be more specific as to your needs?
for example,
A) Joe wrote a letter and you want Access to tell you it was Joe's handwriting
B) You have a sample of handwriting and you want Access to match it to a database of handwriting samples
C) You want to scribe a phrase on a pen tablet so Access can interpret the handwriting

GroverParkGeorge
post May 23 2017, 04:35 PM
Post#4

UA Admin

I don't think the reason for wanting to so this makes much difference. Hand-writing recognition isn't a native Access function.

Perhaps you can obtain 3rd party software to do that, and automate it from VBA.

--------------------

theDBguy
post May 23 2017, 04:46 PM
Post#5

Access Wiki and Forums Moderator

I would imagine those companies offering signature pads might have something you can use with Access to recognize the handwriting.

Just thinking out loud...

--------------------
Just my 2 cents... "And if I claim to be a wise man, it surely means that I don't know" - Kansas
Microsoft Access MVP | Access Website | Access Blog | Email

doctor9
post May 23 2017, 04:48 PM
Post#6

UtterAccess Editor

Richard,

> Is there something available that is more straightforward than using a handwriting app to translate handwriting to text,

Yes, an on-screen keyboard. For example, on an iPad or iPhone, whenever you compose an E-Mail, an onscreen keyboard appears. I'd go with this instead of trying to read someone's handwriting. If your tablet is Windows based, I know there's an on-screen keyboard program that works when your physical keyboard fails. I'd be pretty confident it works with a touch screen instead of a mouse if necessary.

Hope this helps,

Dennis

--------------------
(;,;) Li'l Cthulu says: Please talk about what you're trying to do, as well as how you're doing it.
Changing your real table name to "Table1" and your real form name to "Form1" in your posts makes it more difficult to understand what's going on, not easier.
Guidelines for Posting Questions

richardp
post May 24 2017, 11:06 AM
Post#7

Thanks all for the responses.

kfield asked me to be more specific, and C is the correct response:
"C) You want to scribe a phrase on a pen tablet so Access can interpret the handwriting"

Instead of typing the word when searching the definitions column, write the word on the tablet and have Access search based on its translation of the writing.

I was just wondering if newer versions of Access had this ability - and it seems that the answer is "no".

Again, thanks for the responses.

GroverParkGeorge
post May 25 2017, 07:55 AM
Post#8

UA Admin

Access is a database tool, not a hand-writing recognition tool. Hand-writing recognition support could be a nice-to-have , but that is out-of-scope for the core functionality of the application for the time being. And there are probably many features, that would get higher priority as far as allocating development resources.

I do know that Microsoft is investing heavily into Accessibility and mobile computing. Perhaps one outcome from such efforts eventually will be such functionality, but again, it's probably not top-of-list with so many other things competing for resources. If it comes to Access, and that's a big if, look for it as an extension of some other application.

On the other hand, Access is pretty good at automating other applications, so if you find one that DOES support hand-writing recognition, you might find that the vendor of that application provides APIs to do that. If you have a device that can handle hand-writing recognition, contact the vendor of that device about any APIs and/or SDKs they might offer to developers. It's amazing to me that what I thought at one time would be impossible, isn't.

--------------------

Custom Search
RSSSearch   Top   Lo-Fi    16th December 2017 - 07:32 PM