UtterAccess.com
X   Site Message
(Message will auto close in 2 seconds)

Welcome to UtterAccess! Please ( Login   or   Register )

Custom Search

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Single-user Database, Access 2013    

bakersburg9
post May 31 2017, 08:58 PM
Post#1

With help of another developer, I designed a form based on a query that assists Accounting departments in reconciling - is there a way I can sell it ? Do I need Microsoft's permission ? Is there a way of "locking" it so it can't be copied ?

Thanks in advance.....

Steve
Go to the top of the page

GroverParkGeorge
post May 31 2017, 09:13 PM
Post#2

UA Admin

Of course you can offer it for sale. Microsoft has no interest in that part of the process.

There have been many discussions here about preparing applications for sale. I suggest searching for them.

--------------------

nvogel
post Jun 1 2017, 09:00 AM
Post#3

Steve, do your research if you haven't already. There are thousands of accounting solutions on the market and most of them aren't based on Access. If your solution fulfills a need that others don't then I imagine your potential customers will want something that is compatible with their existing accounting system. Just a thought.

GroverParkGeorge
post Jun 1 2017, 10:53 AM
Post#4

UA Admin

Following on from nvogel's advice.

Over the years, we've seen many similar requests here at UA. Someone creates a solution for their group of users. It's successful and popular with the group, so the next impulse is to package it up and sell it. Sometimes that makes sense, sometimes not.

As noted, if YOUR solution a) meets a need not otherwise addressed within any existing account application, or b) does performs an existing function much better, faster, etc. than anything on the market already, then it can be sold. Otherwise, it's not going very far.

So, be sure your solution has a potential market before you invest a lot of time and effort in trying to make it sale-ready.

There are a few successful Access-based products out there, so it is obviously possible. The key, is as noted, that the product is either unique or better than anything else around. Oh, and reasonably priced.

Access is inherently less secure than other interface design tools. That's the nature of the software. You can take steps to minimize the risk, but you can't necessarily "lock it". As I suggested before, search the forums here for discussions of attempting to do that, "well enough" to make selling your tool viable.

--------------------

bakersburg9
post Jun 1 2017, 03:45 PM
Post#5

All,
Thank you SO much for your valuable input - the "research" I did were some carefully worded searches on Google - very scientific :-) ... not only did nothing come up, nothing even CLOSE popped up. It's something incredibly simple and saves time and a bit of frustration - I came up with the idea, and someone else wrote the query (bound to a form) decades ago.

Thanks !!! cool.gif

Steve

GroverParkGeorge
post Jun 1 2017, 06:39 PM
Post#6

UA Admin

Good luck to you.

--------------------

Custom Search
RSSSearch   Top   Lo-Fi    14th December 2017 - 12:02 PM