UtterAccess.com
X   Site Message
(Message will auto close in 2 seconds)

Welcome to UtterAccess! Please ( Login   or   Register )

Custom Search

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Possibly A Dumb Question, Access 2016    

davealot
post Jun 1 2017, 12:28 PM
Post#1

Greetings,

I'm hoping that I'm just dumb here and missing the obvious. I've split a database, and on the front end users can still see the tables, they're linked obviously, but the issue is they can open a table and just type in data as they please. Is it possible to just password protect the back-end tables so they either can't even see them, or not edit them? From what I'm reading it looks as though the password protection is just to keep people out of the database entirely, but once proper password is put in they still have access to the tables? Thanks for the help!
Go to the top of the page

theDBguy
post Jun 1 2017, 12:45 PM
Post#2

Access Wiki and Forums Moderator

Hi,

Welcome to UtterAccess!
welcome2UA.gif

Not a dumb question. You're correct. Once a password is supplied to create the linked table, then users are free to open the linked table and modify the data. One possible prevention is to hide the navigation pane (or the tables).

--------------------
Just my 2 cents... "And if I claim to be a wise man, it surely means that I don't know" - Kansas
Microsoft Access MVP | Access Website | Access Blog | Email

GroverParkGeorge
post Jun 1 2017, 01:07 PM
Post#3

UA Admin

Security is an increment process, not necessarily a state of protection.

As theDBguy suggested, you can try to minimize the risks by doing things like hiding the Nav Pane. Savvy users, determined to get to things they shouldn't, can bypass your steps if they know how.

The right balance of paranoia and confidence depends on a lot of factors, such as how badly do you want to keep users out of the tables.

If that's critical, you might need to invest time and effort into removing the temptation and doing a lot of the data updating in code. That would allow you to password protect your VBA to do that.

It just depends.

--------------------

River59
post Jun 1 2017, 01:53 PM
Post#4

You can also select the table, right click, and choose 'Hide'. Unless they are determined, it may not occur to them to try to unhide the tables since the casual user won't know that they are there.

--------------------
Remember ... Armstrong, Aldrin and Collins flew to the moon and back with a computer system less complex than a modern, programmable toaster ...

GroverParkGeorge
post Jun 1 2017, 03:20 PM
Post#5

UA Admin

...Unless they know how to expose hidden objects.

I lean to the opinion that much of our ordinary concern over letting users get to things we don't want them to get to is based on lack of confidence that they'll do the right thing. If that confidence isn't there, we can invest a good deal of time and effort trying to second-guess them. On the other hand, you can adopt the philosophy that most users want to get promoted for doing a good job, not fired for doing a bad job.

--------------------

Custom Search
RSSSearch   Top   Lo-Fi    18th December 2017 - 03:34 PM