UtterAccess.com
X   Site Message
(Message will auto close in 2 seconds)

Welcome to UtterAccess! Please ( Login   or   Register )

Custom Search

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Using Sharepoint To Launch An Access Db., MS Office 2013    

stngman
post Jun 7 2017, 02:15 PM
Post#1

To All at UA:

I would first ask if UtterAccess Guru's work with SharePoint. If So, continue reading:

I'm super new to SharePoint as I used to use Lotus Notes for my FE (Front-End) access db distribution. With LN (Lotus Notes) you could create a document and within said LN Document you can add Pages. These pages could be designed to contain attachments and links on said page. This read only (by end users) Page would allow user to open documents.db's placed there as temporary files. These files in the case of access db's would open and link to their receptive BE (Back-end). This was great because it restricted actions that could be used on the DB if it wasn't protected.

Now I have to migrate all my work that has been on LN as a Split db to a stand alone (as I would call it) and then use the merge to SharePoint in Access provide the URL and the db gets split again with tables on Share point and the FE on SP( SharePoint). My issue now is after merging a stand alone db to SP, when I got to open the FE of Access it downloads it to a download folder.... This does me no good as I was assuming the FE would be opened in a temp file and linked to BE tables ow in share point. So, that leads to the questions:

How can I make my stand alone db merged into and split by SP and now a user needs to open a FE and do work in it without Downloading it.
I also have many questions about building customer permissions but first I need to make my db's work off of SP and not just Download a copy to a user's Download folder.

Even a well know site or directions about using SP with Access would be greatly appreciated.

I know this wasn't really a technical question but I seem to be missing something major to not understand why I'm unable to get my db's to work in SP.

Thank you one and all for at least taking a look to see if you can help out. Thank you.

stngman
Go to the top of the page

GroverParkGeorge
post Jun 7 2017, 02:29 PM
Post#2

UA Admin

Unfortunately, that's not how Access and SharePoint work.

Access is a desktop, i.e. Windows, application that ONLY runs on a computer with a Windows Operating system. It doesn't run "on SharePoint". You can STORE the accdb file in a SharePoint library and download it from there to your desktop. There on the desktop you can then open and use it.

The second part of your question has to do with how you can go about using Access -- the accdb on your desktop -- with SharePoint lists. That's easy to do.

From within your existing accdb:

Attached File  LiktoSharePointLists.png ( 29.18K )Number of downloads: 0

Attached File  ValidSharePointsite.png ( 39.68K )Number of downloads: 1

Attached File  availablelists.png ( 35.39K )Number of downloads: 0

Attached File  Linkedtable.png ( 15.84K )Number of downloads: 1

--------------------

theDBguy
post Jun 7 2017, 02:58 PM
Post#3

Access Wiki and Forums Moderator

Hi,

Here are the steps I might follow, assuming I am starting from scratch:

1. Create custom lists in SharePoint for my data
2. Create a new Access database file for the FE
3. Link the SharePoint lists as outlined by George above
4. Create my queries and forms
5. Test it
6. Give a copy to everybody else

Hope it helps...

--------------------
Just my 2 cents... "And if I claim to be a wise man, it surely means that I don't know" - Kansas
Microsoft Access MVP | Access Website | Access Blog | Email

stngman
post Jun 7 2017, 02:59 PM
Post#4

GroverPark,

I do understand access concepts and when split the FE can almost be anywhere as long as it knows where the BE (Back-end) is...
Further research has me partially agreeing with you. If the FE is put on and LN Discussion DB (basic Lotus Notes template) the FE can be open from there in a temp folder created by LN, and yest you still need to have Access loaded on PC to work.
SP handles the FE differently as it does NOT open the DB in a temp file but downloads it to a folder and then this is what is to be used... This, personally suks compared to Lotus Notes, but I have no choice.

as for the the splitting, you screenshots were spot on!! For that I thank you.

But I will say this..... Anyone who hasn't use LN are missing out because it does the work and then some of MS, SharePoint, Outlook, and Skype for IM... and is easier to design. Whereas SharePoint in some respects almost seems like it was slapped together. Definitely, not a developer friendly app... and I say this as a newbie to the software, so we will see.

Anyother suggestions or sites are still very welcome to be added to this post.

Thank you Grover Park and the rest of UA family!

stngman
post Jun 7 2017, 03:05 PM
Post#5

DBGuy long time no see at least from me...

you nailed the simple. the complicated is that when you share does that download it to all users? even if so, user will need to know where the file was downloaded to and when a new version is pushed out they will need to know where to go and how to delete old file because I'm not seeing it replacing old file but just down loading another file when shared... IE DB.mdb, then DB(1).mdb, then DB(2) which if you understand how corporate works and the users that are hired, this won't be acceptable as they pretty much have no clue on these types of details.... but then again they have been spoiled like I have with LN.

Might you know a setting that will push to overwrite existing files vs. copy of 1,2,3 etc.? if so, I've thrown on my Ephant ears and am listening. Thank you.

theDBguy
post Jun 7 2017, 03:18 PM
Post#6

Access Wiki and Forums Moderator

Hi,

If you'll notice, I did not specify "how" when I said give a copy to everybody else. Are your users spread out in remote locations?

On my SharPoint home page, I have a link to the files in our Document Library. When users click on a link, Internet Explorer pops a dialog bar with a 'Save' button. If the user clicks on the Save button, IE downloads the file in the user's Downloads folder. When the download is finished, the dialog bar changes to show an 'Open' button. The user can then simply click on the Open button to run the db.

If the user, instead of clicking on the Save button, clicks on the down arrow next to the Save button, they can select the 'Save As' option to manually select the filename and folder for the download, which they could then choose to override any previous version of the db.

The option users have is to right-click on the link and select the 'Save target as...' option.

Hope it helps a little...

--------------------
Just my 2 cents... "And if I claim to be a wise man, it surely means that I don't know" - Kansas
Microsoft Access MVP | Access Website | Access Blog | Email

Custom Search
RSSSearch   Top   Lo-Fi    12th December 2017 - 03:00 PM