UtterAccess.com
X   Site Message
(Message will auto close in 2 seconds)

Welcome to UtterAccess! Please ( Login   or   Register )

Custom Search

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Vacation Approval In Multiple Overlay Calendars, SharePoint 2013    

halefamily104
post Jun 11 2017, 09:59 PM
Post#1

Hello UA!

Hopefully you can help me. I have SharePoint 2013 and we use Office 365. We have a SharePoint site with at least 8 subsites. For each subsite, I need to be able to have people put their vacation requests on their perspective sites calendar and have a executive approve or deny the vacation. So, here is a breakdown

John in New York office (subsite is New York) wants to take off Nov 16-23
Jill in Texas office (subsite is Texas) wants to take off Nov 16-23
The executive staff will only approve Johns vacation request and needs to notify each one of the approval/denial

I have added a calendar in each subsite and on our main site, I have overlayed the calendars. I have set up the "categories" as Vacation Request; Vacation Approved; Vacation Denied

1. How do I have the executive staff only go in an approve the vacation request?
2. How can I change the color of Request to yellow, Approved to green and Denied to red?

BTW, I learned SharePoint by "doing" so if there is an easier way, please let me know!

Thanks
Go to the top of the page

theDBguy
post Jun 11 2017, 10:39 PM
Post#2

Access Wiki and Forums Moderator

Hi,

Do you have Full Control permission to your SharePoint site? If so, do you have access to SharePoint Designer and/or Nintex Workflow?

--------------------
Just my 2 cents... "And if I claim to be a wise man, it surely means that I don't know" - Kansas
Microsoft Access MVP | Access Website | Access Blog | Email

halefamily104
post Jun 12 2017, 07:11 AM
Post#3

Hi the dbGuy!

Yes, I do have full control and access to SharePoint Designer.

theDBguy
post Jun 12 2017, 09:53 AM
Post#4

Hi,

One approach I used in the past is have an "Add Only" permission to allow users to request vacations. Then, the executives can have "Modify" permission to approve it.

You can also use custom workflows to route the request to the appropriate executive via email notifications.

As for displaying different colors, you can create a page using SPD with Conditional Formatting; otherwise, you can add a web part with some jQuery to read the whole page and reformat it using colors based on the request status.

It might be a lot of work, but I think it is possible.

Good luck!

--------------------
Just my 2 cents... "And if I claim to be a wise man, it surely means that I don't know" - Kansas

halefamily104
post Jun 12 2017, 10:41 AM
Post#5

Thanks thedbguy for the direction! I like the first approach so I will get started on that one!

Have a great day!

theDBguy
post Jun 12 2017, 10:44 AM
Post#6

Hi,

You're welcome. Let us know how it goes...

Cheers!

--------------------

Custom Search
RSSSearch   Top   Lo-Fi    13th December 2017 - 12:33 AM