UtterAccess.com
X   Site Message
(Message will auto close in 2 seconds)

Welcome to UtterAccess! Please ( Login   or   Register )

Custom Search

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Which Runtime To Use, Access 2010    

raykor
post Jun 12 2017, 12:17 PM
Post#1

I have a database created in Access 2010 that I am going to deploy (as ACCDE in case that matters) on a PC without Access. I have done this many times in the past and I typically use the Access 2010 runtime. Works great.

But this new PC is using Win 10 and I was wondering if it would not be better to use the Access 2016 runtime. My thinking is that I have noticed that when I install the 2010 runtime for the first time on a new PC, it downloads tons of Office 2010 related patches and perhaps the more modern 2016 runtime would be more up-to-date and perhaps even more compatible with the newer OS.

Thanks.
Go to the top of the page

ScottGem
post Jun 12 2017, 12:25 PM
Post#2

UtterAccess VIP / UA Clown

either 2010 or 2013 runtimes would be best.

--------------------
Scott <>
Scottgem's Blog
Microsoft Access MVP since 2007
Author: Microsoft Office Access 2007 VBA

HiTechCoach
post Jun 13 2017, 09:01 PM
Post#3

UtterAccess VIP

I am going to deploy (as ACCDE in case that matters

I assume that means your application is split.

The Access runtime actual is more stable with a compiled (ACCDE) front end. You definitely want to deploy an ACCDE with the Office Access Runtime versions.

I have been deploying Office Access Runtime solutions for 20 years now. (Starting with Access 97). I find using the Office Access Runtime version that matches the version used to compile the front end (MDE/ACCDE) is the most compatible.

I have several commercial Access based applications that are deployed as an Office Access 2010 compiled ACCDE front end. I have scripted an installer that checks to see what version of Office is installed. If needed, I install the version of the Access runtime to match the currently installed version of Office.

I do have to tweak my Office Access 2010 Application to work correctly with Office Access 2013 and 2016. I do lots of testing in all the versions of Office.

I did find that using a VM running Windows 7 32-bit with only Office 2010 installed worked best for compiling the ACCDE. I have not had any issue with using the ACCDE with any later version of Windows or the 64-bit versions.

--------------------
Boyd Trimmell aka Hi Tech Coach ( HiTechCoach.com free Access stuff)
Microsoft MVP 2010-2015 - Access Expert
Inventory Control, Accounting, BPM, and CRM Software Developer
"If technology doesn't work for people, then it doesn't work."

raykor
post Jun 14 2017, 11:32 AM
Post#4

Yes, it is split. SQL Server for the back end.

Thank you both for the advice. I'll stick with the 2010 runtime for now.

I suppose I will eventually convert the developer accdb file to a newer version of Access but I never bothered before because 2013 and 2016 had nothing new for desktop apps. The activity at the Access Suggestion Box makes me hopeful that the next version will have some improvements that actually matter to me.

Thanks again.

Custom Search
RSSSearch   Top   Lo-Fi    16th December 2017 - 06:04 AM