UtterAccess.com
X   Site Message
(Message will auto close in 2 seconds)

Welcome to UtterAccess! Please ( Login   or   Register )

Custom Search

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Looking For A Crew / Project / Time Scheduling Template, Any Version    

StevenLS
post Jul 11 2017, 01:29 AM
Post#1

Hey there,

I am not sure where I should plonk this (or if this is the right place to ask at all). I have been handed an enormous spreadsheet and asked if I can make some sort of database / SQL backend, more robust, easier to use version of it.

Basically, we have crew working on a project, sometimes two at a time, the crew have different crafts they are assigned to (Animation, Lighting, Rigging etc). They are allocated time on a project per week, in the spreadsheet it is a number, i.e. 5 for 5 days a week, 6 for 6 days. The spreadsheet calculates the amount of crew on a project, the amount of days per week the crew are working, subtotals for the craft, then total headcounts for the studio across all the projects.

The attached screenshot is something similar that I have found online which is just a visual break down of what I am actually trying to describe. It doesn't have to be pretty, it just needs to be effective and a vast improvement over the spreadsheet.

I am not asking for someone to tell me how to do it, I am ok at Access but better at back engineering something to try and make it work when it's actually above what I need to do.

Does anyone know of any sort of template, sample, guide that may get me a kick start with what I am trying to achieve here.

Many thanks

S.
Attached File(s)
Attached File  Screen_Shotpng.png ( 356.44K )Number of downloads: 136

Go to the top of the page

Peter Hibbs
post Jul 11 2017, 02:10 AM
Post#2

UtterAccess VIP

Hi Steven,

Maybe this Gantt Chart Demo will give you some ideas.

Peter Hibbs.

StevenLS
post Jul 11 2017, 05:48 PM
Post#3

Thanks for the link, I will have a look at that and see what I can do with it.

Appreciate the reply.

S.

WildBird
post Jul 16 2017, 09:11 PM
Post#4

UtterAccess VIP

I am working on a scheduling thing now.

Here we have to take a number of things into account - history of the worker over last roster. They cant work more than 2 weekends per month, cant work more than 11 days straight, cant work a day shift straight after a night shift, and others. Then there is the skills each has. This needs good governance. Who has what sort of experience/skills/tickets etc. And then there is the demand - do they want 1 rigger, 1 lighting, 1 Animator, OR do they need someone who can do Rigger AND Lighting work?

Would love to help more, but we are still working on this now. There would be a lot of stuff out there, but issue is every business is a bit different. We have a commercial product that does the actual shifts/timesheets, but for the scheduling part, we are working on a tool that does most of the work, then the rosterers look it over and make final changes. There are many things that cant be quantified, i.e team dynamics. Overall, this is quite a complex setup :-)

Good luck with it!

--------------------
Beer, natures brain defragging tool.

MadPiet
post Jul 16 2017, 10:38 PM
Post#5

That looks a sight like MS Project. Nice thing about Project is that it can do critical path analysis, too... Except it's $$$$

StevenLS
post Jul 16 2017, 11:32 PM
Post#6

it's a tough one, what I need is really specific - but can't get the dumb OLE grey matter around what is actually needed.

WildBird
post Jul 17 2017, 02:03 AM
Post#7

UtterAccess VIP

First danger sign is it is stored in a spreadsheet! They can be great analysis tools, but data integrity will suffer, along with so many other issues, that I don't have space for here.

What I would suggest is going to something like Project - get a commercial off the shelf system (COTS). The monetary outlay will be less than the amount of headache and actual time working and reworking you or whoever, will have to do. Will ensure people enter good data etc - we currently have all sorts of spreadsheets and the like in our project - a nightmare, no consistency. You could look at migrating some data into it once you have it up and working.

There are a number of Project management suites available.

--------------------
Beer, natures brain defragging tool.

juddadredd
post Oct 21 2017, 08:09 AM
Post#8

We didn't hear back from the OP - Peter's Gantt chart rocks for any others looking for the same type of thing !

I was going to just use Access as a backend and use a web frontend for displaying the Gantt, but Peter's code saved the day !

Custom Search
RSSSearch   Top   Lo-Fi    12th December 2017 - 02:52 PM