UtterAccess.com
X   Site Message
(Message will auto close in 2 seconds)

Welcome to UtterAccess! Please ( Login   or   Register )

Custom Search

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Onedrive And Multiple Users, Access 2016    

BrigitG
post Jul 17 2017, 08:06 AM
Post#1

Good afternoon.

Have setup various databases with a FE and either an Access or SQL backend I am not rather worried that lots of my clients want their database located on OneDrive and having read various posts, it would seem that it's not that easy to do. Clients are using Office 365 Nonprofit Business Premium version.

I have a few years back put the tables into Sharepoint Lists and linked to a frontend but this was a nightmare until I found a Sharepoint expert (who is no longer in business).

What's the best way forward, what do clients need to have installed in order for their database to work in a multi-user environment which is cloud based.

Look forward to hearing from you.

With thanks.........Brigit
Go to the top of the page

PhilS
post Jul 17 2017, 08:23 AM
Post#2

Using either a Sharepoint-List based backend or a SQL-Azure database are both viable options. Which one is better depends on the data structure and the requirements to the application.
Sharepoint Lists linked into Access offer built-in offline capabilities. If that's an requirement they might be the better option.
SQL-Azure offers better support for huge volumes of data and server side processing with Stored Procedures. Unless offline-use is required, I would prefer this option.

I very, very strongly discourage the use of Access databases (be it frontend or backend) on a OneDrive with multiple users. OneDrive-Sync will corrupt your databases pretty quickly.

--------------------

BrigitG
post Jul 17 2017, 08:36 AM
Post#3

Thank you PhilS for your prompt reply and link to a very interesting article.

My clients tend to be very small charities with a handful of users at most. I don't believe that they will need any offline capabilities.

I have just looked at the "Export Tables to Sharepoint Wizard" in a simple database I have (I'm using Office 365) and it asks for my "sharepoint site", how do I find out what that is or doesn't it come with office 365.

Many thanks

GroverParkGeorge
post Jul 17 2017, 08:47 AM
Post#4

UA Admin

I concur with Phil.

With regard to where on your Office 365 site to store the SP list "tables", I'd create a subsite specifically for this purpose, named for the database application, and put the tables there. Make one subsite for each database application you have.

--------------------

Custom Search
RSSSearch   Top   Lo-Fi    17th December 2017 - 02:46 PM