UtterAccess.com
X   Site Message
(Message will auto close in 2 seconds)

Welcome to UtterAccess! Please ( Login   or   Register )

Custom Search

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> When To Use C++ And When To Use Ms Access    

InfoHound
post Jul 25 2017, 06:02 AM
Post#1

My Background:

I don't know how to program in anything but MS Access.
I just started to use SQL-Express as a backend.
I use VBA and SQL in my MS Access programs.

My Question:

Should I learn C++ (or any of the other C's) ?
When is C++ a better choice than MS Access?
What can C++ do that MS Access can't?

I'm very interested in anything people have to offer on this subject.

Thank you
Go to the top of the page

GroverParkGeorge
post Jul 25 2017, 07:14 AM
Post#2

UA Admin

Access is unlike any other development tool in that it includes tools for both interface design and a database engine. These are very tightly integrated, so developing any application with Access can be very fast and efficient.

Forms and reports can be bound directly to tables and queries, which means that a majority of the data management processes are just automatically handled.

That's not true of other interface development tools, including the various .net languages, like C# and VB.net.

All they do is the interface. It's up to you, the developer, to create all of the data binding required to handle the data in the application.

Some developers claim .net development can take much longer than Access, in part because so much of the basic scaffolding is done for you in Access.

That said, the choice of tools has as much to do with what you plan to do with them as anything else.

.Net development tools can compile executables (.exe files). Access cannot do so, which means deploying a solution in Access is more involved. Depending, as I said, on what you plan to do with your application, this can make a difference.

If you plan to create web apps, as well as Windows apps, then Access is no longer playing on that field. Technically, I guess, the end of life for Access Web Apps on Office 365 is still a few months away, and for on-premises SharePoint instances, several years away. But Microsoft has acknowledged this is not going to be a future path for Access.

Like so many subjective decisions, whether one tool is "a better choice" than any other tool is, quite simply, too complicated to offer a simple yes or no answer. It depends on a lot of factors, including the personal predilections of the developer! What do YOU want to do?

That's my 2 cents.

--------------------

nvogel
post Jul 25 2017, 01:25 PM
Post#3

A lot depends on what your goals are. If your intention is to maximise your future employment prospects as an application developer then you will probably want to learn Java, C, C# or C++ since those languages cover the widest possible range of application development roles. The learning curve for C++ is steeper than for C# and Java and the fact that you are asking this question at all suggests to me that you don't have a strong reason to choose C++ over Java or C# which are more widely use in general business settings. Choose C++ if you want to work for a software vendor or technology company.

Check out https://www.tiobe.com/tiobe-index/ which attempts to measure the popular mindshare of the major languages. Note that the high scoring languages are also the ones for which there will be a lot of competition in the jobs market, so you may find it hard to get those opportunities until you have some experience behind you.

GroverParkGeorge
post Jul 25 2017, 01:53 PM
Post#4

UA Admin

Thanks for that link. I have often wondered about those stats.

--------------------

InfoHound
post Jul 26 2017, 07:36 AM
Post#5

Thank you very much for your answers.

My biggest concern about learning a new programming language is that I won't be able to find the kind of quality support that I find here at UtterAccess.

I mostly write Access software for friends and family to help simplify their personal and small business needs. I don't charge for the software or my time because I enjoy doing it.

Recently my brother purchased software that looks similar to what I had written for him in Access but this was written in C++.

Both the front end and back end reside on a cloud server. They connect to the front end using Remote Desktop.
I'm not sure why they connect this way; on the surface this doesn't make any sense to me.

So, my new goal is to convert one of the software programs I've written into C++. I'm planning on doing this as a learning experience.

I'd rate myself as an intermediate Access programmer, my real strength is understanding work flow and production.
Moving to C++ I'd be a newborn again.

Thanks again.

Custom Search
RSSSearch   Top   Lo-Fi    12th December 2017 - 01:40 AM