UtterAccess.com
X   Site Message
(Message will auto close in 2 seconds)

Welcome to UtterAccess! Please ( Login   or   Register )

Custom Search

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Office 365 Vs Office 2016, Any    

BruceM
post Aug 15 2017, 07:18 AM
Post#1

UtterAccess VIP

I am getting a new computer for home. I use Microsoft Office, but not extensively other than Outlook. I need the full functionality of Word and Excel, but not necessarily the latest version.

For the new computer I can get Office 365 for about $70/year. There are no other users in the household who are interested in it, so no need for the 5-user license ($99/year, I think).

Or I can get Office 2016 for more cost up front, but no annual fee. Any thoughts about what may make the most sense in light of the limited information I have provided?

Related question: For now I don't need Access at home. If I do, my old computer has Access 2007, and I can keep it hooked up. However, I expect I will want to get Access at home some day. If I use Office 2016 I know I can get Access separately. How about if I get Office 365? What are the options for adding Access to Office 365? I have done some reading, but can't quite sort it out.
Go to the top of the page

DanielPineault
post Aug 15 2017, 08:55 AM
Post#2

UtterAccess VIP

Office365 is nice because it is cheaper (maybe not in the long run) and you'll always be upgraded and have the latest versions.

On the other hand, that can be problematic. You get upgrades pushed upon you that you may not want, may not be ready for, or worse that are truly ready for prime time.

I personally prefer the control that Office 2016 offers.

--------------------
Daniel Pineault (2010-2017 Microsoft MVP)
Professional Help: http://www.cardaconsultants.com
Free MS Access Code, Tips, Tricks and Samples: http://www.devhut.net

* Design should never say "Look at me". It should always say "Look at this". -- David Craib
* A user interface is like a joke, if you have to explain it, it's not that good! -- Martin LeBlanc

All code samples, demonstration databases, links,... are provided 'AS IS' and are to be used at your own risk! Take the necessary steps to check, validate ...

BruceM
post Aug 15 2017, 09:05 AM
Post#3

UtterAccess VIP

Thanks! I'm leaning in that direction. Office 2016 should be fine for my purposes for at least another five years. If the need changes, it will be easy enough to make the change to the subscription program.

Custom Search
RSSSearch   Top   Lo-Fi    16th December 2017 - 05:53 AM