UtterAccess.com
X   Site Message
(Message will auto close in 2 seconds)

Welcome to UtterAccess! Please ( Login   or   Register )

Custom Search

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Word Document But Different Mailing Address, Office 2013    

Dexter
post Aug 15 2017, 05:21 PM
Post#1

I have a one page word document where there is an address on the first page. If there is only address one, that is where it's going to be mailed to and the envelope is easy to print from Word. Sometimes there is a second address that is not on the document anywhere but if there is an address two, then that is where the envelope is mailed to. What is the best way to set this up? I want it to be easy for them to enter the address(s) and print the correct address on the envelope. Thanks
Go to the top of the page

MadPiet
post Aug 15 2017, 05:39 PM
Post#2

Since I never ever do mail merges...

I would probably use an expression for the envelope address.

=IIF(IsNull([MailingAddress]),[OtherAddress],[MailingAddress])

etc. Then use that for the envelope mail merge.

GroverParkGeorge
post Aug 16 2017, 08:51 AM
Post#3

UA Admin

Please elaborate a bit.

This is entirely in Word? Not pulling records from a database for mail merge?

"Sometimes there is a second address that is not on the document anywhere but if there is an address two, then that is where the envelope is mailed to."

If that is the case, and if the second address is truly nowhere in the document, how can Word find it, or even know that it exists?

Thanks for clarifying.

--------------------

Dexter
post Aug 16 2017, 01:24 PM
Post#4

It's not a mail merge. I don't have mail merge tags to create an if/then statement. It's a formal letter where the name and address are at the top at it's typed in manually for each letter. There really isn't a database or data source to get this information. The address that shows up is the property address but the property address is not always the mailing address. So, yes, that is my question. How can they input the mailing address so that it doesn't print on the letter but the envelope wizard knows to use that address? Do I have to create a second page and somehow make that not-printable or is there a form or something else within word to do this? I read online about using bookmarks but still not sure how that would work. Any ideas?

GroverParkGeorge
post Aug 16 2017, 05:33 PM
Post#5

UA Admin

Okay. what do we know.

Every letter contains the property address.

Every letter goes to a mailing address.

The property address is included in the text of the letter (entered manually by the user).

In some letters, the property address and the mailing address are the same.

In some letters, the property address and the mailing address are different.

When the property address and the mailing address are different, only the property address appears in the text of the letter; the mailing address is not part of the letter, but the user has to know it exists somehow, and must put it on the envelope.

Sound right?

If that is the case, I can only think of two options.

First, have your users enter the mailing address into each letter AS the mailing address.

Add a paragraph headed: "Property Address"
In that paragraph have the user type either "Same as mailing address", or the actual mailing address if it is different.

Second, create two templates, one for cases where the property and mailing addresses are the same, and one for cases where they are different. Require the user to select the appropriate one and complete it accordingly.

--------------------

Dexter
post Aug 17 2017, 05:49 PM
Post#6

Yes, that is right! Thank you for your response.

JonSmith
post Aug 18 2017, 02:34 AM
Post#7

There are more options George!

Add a customxml part to the document to store the extra address, possibly both. Create a custom ribbon in the document to enter the data.
The custom xml data doesnt have to be displayed anywhere in the document and so doesnt have to be printed.

You could make the normal address bound the content controls if you are storing that in the xml too. Can be a good way to keep everything in sync.

So now you have all the information required in the document it should be easy to run the envelope printing thing and switching the addresses around during it so you get both where applicable.

GroverParkGeorge
post Aug 18 2017, 07:19 AM
Post#8

UA Admin

I regard automating Word with the same level of enthusiasm as I do tasks like washing the car. "Somebody" has to do it, but I'd rather avoid it if I can. That's why there are coin-operated car washes.

Seriously, though, that's a good idea. I have actually done something similar to that, but it didn't occur to me to try to do it here because the two addresses must both be entered manually by the user anyway.

--------------------

JonSmith
post Aug 18 2017, 09:54 AM
Post#9

Thanks George!
I actually made an addin to allow me to really easily make and manipulate XML data in Word as natively it leaves alot to be desired. In 2010 I think the only possible way was via code!

I guess I made myself my own coin operated car wash where I dont need to pay! tongue.gif

Custom Search
RSSSearch   Top   Lo-Fi    15th December 2017 - 08:48 AM