UtterAccess.com
X   Site Message
(Message will auto close in 2 seconds)

Welcome to UtterAccess! Please ( Login   or   Register )

Custom Search

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Tip To Significantly Improve Load Time Behavior For Slow Web Apps, Access 2013 Web App    

ryan996
post Aug 18 2017, 03:18 AM
Post#1

I discovered by accident a method to dramatically improve the load time behavior of an AWA when launching an app, refreshing the browser, or reconnecting to the database after a 60 second timeout event due to inactivity. For those of us with larger apps involving many tables and queries, the server appears to load all those queries each time the app is launched in the browser. Even without any data in my tables, my app was taking about 10-15 seconds to load as a result. Needless to say, the user experience was very poor because of this annoyingly slow load behavior.

Approx. Time to Load app (before): 13 seconds to 20 seconds
Approx. Time to Load app (after workaround): 1 second to 3 seconds

The workaround I accidentally discovered involves creating a broken query as the first query in your object query list.
1) Create a query referencing any table in your app, and pick a couple of fields.
2) Create a second query, referencing the first query. It is important that you name the second query alphabetically so it is the first query in your object list. In my case it would be "qry_AAA"
3) The third step is to delete the first query object, which breaks the second query.

When the app is refreshed in the browser, it terminates loading all the rest of the queries because of the broken query but doesn't seem to have any ill effects to the functionality of the app. When you want to save a snapshot of your app, you will have to delete "qry_AAA" otherwise the package will fail validation. Let me know your thoughts and if it works for you.
Go to the top of the page

RobKoelmans
post Aug 18 2017, 03:57 AM
Post#2

Thanks Ryan,
We'll test and give you feedback.
Rob

GroverParkGeorge
post Aug 18 2017, 07:55 AM
Post#3

UA Admin

I'll give this a try as well.

I've always assumed slow load times were associated with a heavy Start up macro I run to set a series of tempvars that I use throughout my AWA. If this helps, I'll owe you one.

--------------------

RobKoelmans
post Aug 19 2017, 07:53 AM
Post#4

a big app of us goes from over a minute to some 7 or 8 seconds. As far as I can tell, it's running the autoexec macro properly.
This is great. I agree with George. We owe you one.
Rob

DanielPineault
post Aug 19 2017, 08:48 AM
Post#5

UtterAccess VIP

Very interesting! Too bad AWA have been killed off otherwise this would have been a gem to pass along to all developers. Thank you for sharing. It's always amazing the number of discoveries that occur by pure accident.

--------------------
Daniel Pineault (2010-2017 Microsoft MVP)
Professional Help: http://www.cardaconsultants.com
Free MS Access Code, Tips, Tricks and Samples: http://www.devhut.net

* Design should never say "Look at me". It should always say "Look at this". -- David Craib
* A user interface is like a joke, if you have to explain it, it's not that good! -- Martin LeBlanc

All code samples, demonstration databases, links,... are provided 'AS IS' and are to be used at your own risk! Take the necessary steps to check, validate ...

GroverParkGeorge
post Aug 19 2017, 09:00 AM
Post#6

UA Admin

Unfortunately, it didn't affect the load time of my AWA. I am pretty sure my issue, though, has to do with the number of steps in my Start Up Macro.

--------------------

RobKoelmans
post Aug 19 2017, 11:44 AM
Post#7

I'm amazed AWA is so strongly associated with Office365. AWA's are no longer supported in O365 but will even be available in the next version of SharePoint. We expect to use it at least up to 2025. The triggers and stored procedures we created with AWA-datamacros for an indefinite time because they're perfectly transactional and robust. We're not going to redo that in a VS .Net database project or alike.
Regarding the state of CDM in Office365 we can't even afford to kill of AWA. You can't develop in PowerApps without robust functionality in database procedures.

ryan996
post Aug 20 2017, 10:37 PM
Post#8

This tip should work if your app is taking a long time to load with the "Working on it..." splash screen, rather than the "Processing..." applet. My supply chain app has a lot of date/time references in the query calculations which slows the query output time.

CaptElmo2165
post Nov 6 2017, 07:48 AM
Post#9

Thanks Ryan, this is great!

Cap

ryan996
post Nov 9 2017, 02:39 AM
Post#10

Glad it helped. What was your improvement in load time?

CaptElmo2165
post Nov 21 2017, 04:46 AM
Post#11

Honestly, not long - a few seconds but I want it zippy so every little helps. What I would say is that I noticed you can't save a Snapshot of the database with the broken query in, but it's just a case of removing it and then re-adding it later.

Custom Search
RSSSearch   Top   Lo-Fi    11th December 2017 - 07:57 PM