UtterAccess.com
X   Site Message
(Message will auto close in 2 seconds)

Welcome to UtterAccess! Please ( Login   or   Register )

Custom Search

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Data Macro Isn't Working, Access 2016    

lcrews
post Aug 29 2017, 10:41 AM
Post#1

I have a data macro that I'm trying to understand because it won't work. I'll post a picture of it below with URL. When I update [Tbl_MBRSummary].[Item Number] I want a record to be created on [Tbl_AuditChanges]. Can anyone explain why this isn't working? I update [Item Number] and nothing happens. No record is created.
<external link deleted> I'm getting error -20338 with reasoning: Description An argument to the Updated function was invalid. The field name must be provided as a string value enclosed in quotation marks.Can anyone see what I can't?

Go to the top of the page

GroverParkGeorge
post Aug 29 2017, 10:45 AM
Post#2

UA Admin

Welcome to UtterAccess.

Please review the relevant paragraph from our guidelines:

"Uploads - (attaching) Images and files...please keep them compacted and small - all files uploaded to UtterAccess are scanned for viruses/trojans and the like before they're made available to download by other members.
NOTE 1: When posting images, upload them - DO NOT USE AN OFF-SITE FILE LINK of any type or hosting service like photobucket, imageshack, googledrive, onedrive or any other - they are not permitted. The only off-site linking permitted is YouTube and only when the YouTube video is pertinent to resolving a problem. If you are unable to attach your image or file for any reason, please ask for help - do not resort to using off-site storage - such links will be removed. The UtterAccess Administration Team has the final word.
NOTE 2: When attaching non-image files (MDB/ACCDB/etc), you MUST "zip" them first.
NOTE 3: When attaching a zipped Access database, PLEASE ensure the code compiles properly and do a Compact & Repair BEFORE zipping them."

"The field name must be provided as a string value enclosed in quotation marks."

Did you do that?

--------------------

lcrews
post Aug 29 2017, 10:48 AM
Post#3

I thought "ItemNumber" was in quotes. Am I doing something wrong? Did you see the screen shot of my data macro?

Update: I fixed the quotation mark. Now I am getting error 8987 The identifier '[Tbl_MBRSummary]' could not be found.

GroverParkGeorge
post Aug 29 2017, 11:26 AM
Post#4

UA Admin

No, I did not see the externally linked image. We do not support external links because many such sites are not safe. Unfortunately, we can't take time to vet them all.

Please upload it again, but do so here.

--------------------

lcrews
post Aug 29 2017, 12:34 PM
Post#5

When I click 'attach image' a URL window pops up. Is that normal if you don't allow URL images?

lcrews
post Aug 29 2017, 12:36 PM
Post#6

I think I added it.Attached File  Untitled.png ( 19.92K )Number of downloads: 9

GroverParkGeorge
post Aug 29 2017, 03:01 PM
Post#7

UA Admin

Actually, I have to wonder about that image link. I'm going to check with the rest of the admin team. It seems contradictory, doesn't it?

I see nothing wrong with the text of the DM as written; when I get a chance I'll do a bit of testing.

--------------------

GroverParkGeorge
post Aug 29 2017, 05:00 PM
Post#8

UA Admin

I missed the fact that this DM didn't enclose the field and table names in quotes because they were surrounded by brackets. This is how it needs to be written.

Attached File  DMwithValidSyntax.png ( 32.83K )Number of downloads: 6

--------------------

Custom Search
RSSSearch   Top   Lo-Fi    16th December 2017 - 07:18 PM