UtterAccess.com
X   Site Message
(Message will auto close in 2 seconds)

Welcome to UtterAccess! Please ( Login   or   Register )

Custom Search

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Set Feild Once Query Is Ran, Access 2013    

jon1009
post Sep 10 2017, 10:27 AM
Post#1

Hello All,

Looking for abit help, Abit background on the project I have database which is shared accross a network (5 Users) in which Aircarft due to land are added to. In the tower we have a DYMO printer to print out labels for the flight strips which is networked. However Ive had massive problems setting the paper size in this as which keeps getting lost when another network printer is used.

So my idea is to setup a timer which will check for any new records every 5 minute. Which works but I need to know which records have already been printed.

My plan is to set a check box once the records have been printer and base my report query on that. Just wondering how I would go about setting the checkbox automatically once printed?

Cheers

Jon
Go to the top of the page

moke123
post Sep 10 2017, 10:32 AM
Post#2

how are you selecting which records get printed?

GroverParkGeorge
post Sep 10 2017, 10:53 AM
Post#3

UA Admin

You can specify one particular printer to use for a report, rather than the default.

Since you are printing labels, I would imagine that you are using a specific report to do that.

You should be able to set the Dymo here:

Attached File  Setprinter.png ( 14.06K )Number of downloads: 1

Have you tried that yet?

--------------------

GroverParkGeorge
post Sep 10 2017, 10:55 AM
Post#4

UA Admin

In the procedure which prints the strips, add an update after that line to set the "printed" field to yes for the selected records.

--------------------

jon1009
post Sep 10 2017, 01:22 PM
Post#5

Query based on date() at the minute but will need to customise that once I figure how away of knowing which records have been printed.

I have set use specific printer but when a user Prints a document on another printer (not in access) the Dymo doesn't remember the paper size.

That's why my plan was to print from 1 specifications pc automatically based on computer name as this one only has the Dymo printer. Abit of a pain but that's the only way I can't think of to resolve the paper size issue.

GroverParkGeorge
post Sep 10 2017, 01:40 PM
Post#6

UA Admin

I'm confused.

"...but when a user Prints a document on another printer (not in access) the Dymo doesn't remember the paper size."

Do you not have a report specifically for the Dymo in your Access application? And do you not have that report defined to use one specific printer? And doesn't that Dymo printer definition stay the same? I don't see how printing a different document from another application would change your labels in Access.

--------------------

jon1009
post Sep 10 2017, 02:03 PM
Post#7

I have a report specific for the DYMO which is set to the correct size

I have Use specific printer set to the DYMO margins set and paper size set.

I have to see this on each computer for each account on the networks as the paper size didn't seem to be remembered once I set it on a specific print it works for abit then the paper size and margins go wrong for some reasons. When I view the report page setup after it has selected a random page size.

The only thing I can't think of its to do when another printer is used. As the only pc it works with without messing only has the one printer.

GroverParkGeorge
post Sep 10 2017, 04:04 PM
Post#8

UA Admin

I see.

Is everyone using the same accdb, or does each user have their own copy of it?

--------------------

jon1009
post Sep 10 2017, 04:44 PM
Post#9

Everyone is using the same I haven't split the database as yet.

GroverParkGeorge
post Sep 11 2017, 07:22 AM
Post#10

UA Admin

Correct that problem immediately. That will go a long way towards resolving the printer problem.

Split the accdb into a Back End with only the tables in it and a Front End with the interface objects in it. Put the BE in a shared location. Link the FE to the tables in it. Give each user their OWN PERSONAL copy of the FE and place that FE on their computers.

Make sure the report which prints to the Dymo printer is set up to use only the Dymo printer and other reports use other printers as required.

That can't guarantee one user or another won't mess up their own FE, but at least you'll be able to control the one used to print the labels on the Dymo.

--------------------

jon1009
post Sep 12 2017, 08:41 AM
Post#11

Hello George,

Thanks for that I shall give that a try.

Do you know of a easy way to updated FE if a updated is applied over the server?

Cheers

Jon

GroverParkGeorge
post Sep 12 2017, 09:36 AM
Post#12

UA Admin

You "won't" upload a copy of the FE to a server, except, perhaps as a master copy to be stored in a "safe" location.

You "will" distribute a new, updated copy of the FE to every user as needed. They keep them on their own computer, not on a server.

In our code archives, you'll find a few samples of code that automatically can deploy updated FEs.

--------------------

jon1009
post Sep 12 2017, 09:56 AM
Post#13

Okay thanks I'll have a look at that code

Thank you for your help! smile.gif

jon1009
post Sep 14 2017, 11:16 AM
Post#14

I have split the database and setup any auto update check. However Iam still getting a issue with the paper size not being saved. Also is it normal for access to set the Dymo as default printer ever time something is printed? My default printer is our cannon but ever time we print a labels this is changed to the Dymo.

Cheers

Jon

GroverParkGeorge
post Sep 14 2017, 11:51 AM
Post#15

UA Admin

What is the default printer defined on THAT PC? Is it the Dymo?

--------------------

jon1009
post Sep 18 2017, 05:03 AM
Post#16

Hello George,

The default printer is a Canon iR-ADV C5235/5240 PCL6 network printer. But when a report is printer on a windows 10 machine the default printer is set to DYMO this doesn't happened on the windows 7 machines.

GroverParkGeorge
post Sep 18 2017, 08:10 AM
Post#17

UA Admin

Hm, that suggests your problem is in Windows, not Access.

In fact, it sounds very much like you have set the printer to be the Default printer in the Access report. It also sounds like that default printer is set within the Windows 10 configuration to be the Dymo, not that Canon.

Otherwise, it's hard to troubleshoot without seeing your network.

--------------------

Custom Search
RSSSearch   Top   Lo-Fi    16th December 2017 - 01:30 PM