UtterAccess.com
X   Site Message
(Message will auto close in 2 seconds)

Welcome to UtterAccess! Please ( Login   or   Register )

Custom Search
2 Pages V  1 2 >  (Go to first unread post)
   Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Questions On Visual Basic 6    

PC_User
post Sep 11 2017, 02:08 PM
Post#1

Is this forum still accepting questions on Visual Basic 6? I'm a hobbyist programmer and I have some questions. I've heard that the code used in MS Access and MS Excel are easily used in Visual Basic 6, so is it still ok to ask questions about VB6 in this forum?

--------------------
Regards,
PC User
I'm using MS Access 2017 and Visual Studio 2017
Go to the top of the page

doctor9
post Sep 11 2017, 02:33 PM
Post#2

UtterAccess Editor

PC User,

It's still okay to ask questions about VB6, but keep a couple of things in mind:

1. Make it clear that you're asking about VB6, not VBA. Why? Because of this:
2. Most users here are more familiar with VBA, and won't have much to offer in regards to VB6-specific questions. This is a database forum, after all. smile.gif

For the record, Visual Basic 6 (the last iteration that I'm aware of) was released in 1998 and stopped being supported by Microsoft back in 2008.

Hope this helps,

Dennis

--------------------
(;,;) Li'l Cthulu says: Please talk about what you're trying to do, as well as how you're doing it.
Changing your real table name to "Table1" and your real form name to "Form1" in your posts makes it more difficult to understand what's going on, not easier.
Guidelines for Posting Questions

nvogel
post Sep 12 2017, 01:01 AM
Post#3

VB6 is dead. You might consider taking up another language as a hobby. Just a suggestion.

ScottGem
post Sep 12 2017, 07:23 AM
Post#4

UtterAccess VIP / UA Clown

The current iteration of Visual Basic is vb.Net.

Since VBA is a superset of VB, some VBA code is transferable. But the VBA specific commands aren't. For example most of the DoCmd methods wouldn't be transferable. coding in vb.net requires a lot more lines of code because you don't have the VBA specific objects supported.

--------------------
Scott <>
Scottgem's Blog
Microsoft Access MVP since 2007
Author: Microsoft Office Access 2007 VBA

EspressoWillie
post Sep 12 2017, 09:29 AM
Post#5

I still support many VB6 applications as some of them are huge and would take an enormous budget to convert to .net. And yes, this is mainly an Access and VBA forum. The other site I would use for VB6 questions is the Windows Secrets Lounge. Because of the vast number of VB6 applications still in use, MS has continuted to include the VB6 runtime even in Windows 10 (though not the supporting OCX files).

--------------------
Cheers!!

Willie McClure
www.datarim.com
Talk's cheap, takes money to buy whiskey.

PC_User
post Sep 13 2017, 11:50 AM
Post#6

I've spent several of my working years doing amateur MS Access programming for my projects, because I couldn't justify the budget for the IT programmers where I worked. Now that I'm retired, I have various personal uses for VBA in Excel as well as Access. As several of you have pointed out that this forum is mainly a database forum, but there are a number of subcategory discussions that are not database related. This confuses me on what questions are allowed. Some participants get quite hostile, if I don't ask the right questions. There's always someone who insists that I learn the .NET programming or some other language. I'm looking for a simple transition to use the VBA code from Excel and/or Access into a stand alone application that I might create using Visual Basic 6 or whatever else might work. Learning another language is not my first choice as an amateur. Perhaps the Windows Secret Lounge is where I should look for help. I don't want to upset anyone by asking questions that they feel strongly are not appropriate for this forum.

I may from time to time have questions about Excel or Access and I hope my questions are acceptable in those categories.

--------------------
Regards,
PC User

EspressoWillie
post Sep 13 2017, 04:49 PM
Post#7

Go ahead and ask your questions here. I will do my best to answer them. Ask anything.
FYI "move or learn .net" is not an answer that should appear here as this sub forum IS Visual Basic 6 and Earlier

--------------------
Cheers!!

Willie McClure
www.datarim.com

PC_User
post Sep 13 2017, 05:27 PM
Post#8

To start, my intention is to try to re-utilize code from an Excel spreadsheet that downloads stock data from Google and make a stand alone program that will do the same thing without the need to use the MS Office system.

Free NSE Intraday Backfill Data from Google Finance
https://liveniftytrading.wordpress.com/2015...e-1/#comment-40

Google Backfill Dowloader Excel Sheet
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B-xd75dzcM...iew?usp=sharing

I'm thinking that I can use the Visual Basic 6 to accomplish this, so I downloaded the Visual Basic 6.0 Run Time Files from https://sourceforge.net/projects/vb6extendedruntime/ and the Microsoft Visual Basic 6.0 Service Pack 6 Cumulative Update from https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/de...ls.aspx?id=7030

Please let me know if these are the correct files to start using VB6 and I'll go study some tutorials and come back later.

--------------------
Regards,
PC User

EspressoWillie
post Sep 13 2017, 05:47 PM
Post#9

A few questions first.
Do you have the full Visual Basic 6 developer software installed?
If so, then did you install the VB6 update?
You don't need the runtime to develop in VB6, nor to distribute an exe.
You use the Package & Deployment Wizard to create a setup package to distribute the necessary files.

--------------------
Cheers!!

Willie McClure
www.datarim.com

doctor9
post Sep 14 2017, 08:24 AM
Post#10

UtterAccess Editor

PC User,

> there are a number of subcategory discussions that are not database related. This confuses me on what questions are allowed.

The only real restrictions about what questions are allowed are things like illegal activity ("how do I crack a password?" or "where can I download a full copy of Access 97 without paying for it?"). We're also not overly fond of young people posting their homework assignments, asking us to do it for them. The forum names are there mostly as an organizational tool, not a security system, if you take my meaning. Please feel free to ask your questions.

> Some participants get quite hostile, if I don't ask the right questions.

If you ever get a hostile response to a post, just click the Report button just below it, and the administrators will be notified, and will handle it.

Finally, if you're trying to work with stock data from Google, you should definitely contact Google directly, and explain what you're trying to do. It's likely they have tools that can help you. Think of it this way; there are people at Google whose whole job revolves around getting that stock data on their site. Do you want them to give it to you, or do you want to try to take it without asking? If you try to develop a tool that just opens a web page and scrapes the data, you'll likely find yourself in a situation down the road where the format or address of that web page will change, and you will have to re-write your code. On the other hand, if you work with Google, getting the data will likely be much easier, and they will help you out when updates happen.

Hope this helps,

Dennis

--------------------
(;,;) Li'l Cthulu says: Please talk about what you're trying to do, as well as how you're doing it.
Changing your real table name to "Table1" and your real form name to "Form1" in your posts makes it more difficult to understand what's going on, not easier.

PC_User
post Sep 15 2017, 10:38 AM
Post#11

@EspressoWillie

You have some good points. I need to search for a website where I can get/purchase Visual Basic 6 Developer Software. I was trying to figure out where to start and I think this is one of the items. I wasn't sure what "runtime" meant. Thanks.

@doctor9
Thanks for the clarification and advice. Yes, both Google and Yahoo have been known to change their data links. I've seen their announcements when these changes have been made.

--------------------
Regards,
PC User

PhilS
post Sep 15 2017, 11:24 AM
Post#12

Well, you explicitly said, you do not want to hear anything about learning VB.net...
...but I can't refrain myself from pointing out that it might be easier and more future-oriented to just download a free, current edition of Visual Studio and try to build your app in VB.net than to find a old edition of VS for VB6.

Nevertheless, I'm happy to help if you should decide to stick to classic VB6.

--------------------

EspressoWillie
post Sep 15 2017, 12:34 PM
Post#13

My answers were based on you already having Visual Basic 6 software and that you had some experience with it. Can't really buy VB6 these days.
But as @PhilS mentioned, you can get Visual Studio .net free.
I also program in VB.net. Moving from VBA to either VB6 or VB.net still would require a bit of change for the code to work.
Much of the code will work as is, in either case. The biggest change is opening files, databases, and forms/reports do not transfer over to either VB6 or VB.net. It's mainly syntax for either VB6 or VB.net to make much of it work.
But a big difference is VBA is not compiled vs VB6 and VB.net. There is a learning curve on how to do that and distribute a setup.

So, in my opinion, I'd lean towards VB.net.
There are plenty of websites that have plenty of samples of VB.net code that would help you make the transition from VBA code.

To add a completely different prospective, why not use what you know and stay in VBA?
I have a line of banking software that I sell. It's all using Access as a front end and Access or SQL as the back end. All my clients have MS Office so all I need to do is have them install the Access Runtime if they don't have Office Pro. I would say that most of the people you would want to distribute your applications to have MS Office.
Besides, MS Access is supported by Micrsoft -- and this forum!

Hope that helps.

--------------------
Cheers!!

Willie McClure
www.datarim.com

doctor9
post Sep 15 2017, 12:57 PM
Post#14

UtterAccess Editor

PC User,

If you don't already have the Visual Basic developer software installed on a computer, and it hasn't been supported for going on ten years, why are you trying to "search for a website where [you] can get/purchase Visual Basic 6 Developer Software" at all? It's not designed to work with modern computers, and it isn't a supported development platform. It will take a lot of work just to install it and get it working, let alone learn to use it. In short, you seem to be going out of your way to do things the very hard way when you're being given good advice that would simplify things a great deal.

I'm just trying to understand what you're trying to accomplish by going this route. Is this a cost issue? Or is there something more going on here?

Here's the bit you probably don't want to hear: Based on this discussion and your previous one here, it appears that you want to somehow download stock information from Google, but without using an Office application like Access or Excel as a base. If that's really what you want to do, then you will need to start from scratch. The code snippet you posted that was written for Excel is based heavily on the underpinnings of Excel being there. If you take Excel away, you will need to replace it with something else that you would also have to build, and that alone would be a lot of work. You seem to be struggling to figure out which platform to develop on, and for some reason you think VB6 is your answer right now. But I'm telling you it's a very bad choice, based on it's age, it's lack of support for the last ten years (think of all of the developments that have happened since 2008) and your inexperience with software development. Excel routines are relatively easy to write because Excel does a lot of the heavy lifting. Same goes for Access. That's why they exist and are still around after so many years. That's why your Excel code snippet is so small.

If you really feel like you need to develop something standalone, look for a platform that is currently available, and is being supported by the creator and a community of developers. Not something ten years old that isn't designed to run on modern Windows machines. Not trying to come across as "hostile" - just trying to get you out of the weeds and back on the road.

Hope this helps,

Dennis

--------------------

PC_User
post Sep 18 2017, 01:02 AM
Post#15

Oh well. If I can find Visual Basic Developer Software and what version of Windows it is compatible with, I may have to use it in a VirtualBox until I learn how to translate it to the .NET versions. Otherwise I may overstep my welcome here and ask too many basic .NET questions. Until then I would have no idea on how to connect my application to either the Yahoo API or the Google API, because I have not seen any .NET examples on how to do this. I would think that the .NET method of connecting to an API and collecting its data would be entirely different than how it's done in VB6.

--------------------
Regards,
PC User

PhilS
post Sep 18 2017, 01:07 AM
Post#16

I would think that the .NET method of connecting to an API and collecting its data would be entirely different than how it's done in VB6.

You are probably right about this. However, I would expect it to be much easier with VB.Net because the .Net Framework has been designed with the internet in mind and has many built-in classes to deal with Web-APIs directly.

--------------------

nvogel
post Sep 18 2017, 03:03 AM
Post#17

PC User, you could start here.

https://developers.google.com/api-client-library/dotnet/

https://developer.yahoo.com/dotnet/

doctor9
post Sep 18 2017, 08:17 AM
Post#18

UtterAccess Editor

PC User,

> I would think that the .NET method of connecting to an API and collecting its data would be entirely different than how it's done in VB6.

Yup, I'm certain. Again, a ton of innovations have occurred since VB6 stopped being supported, especially in regards to the internet. VB6 would be ill-prepared to handle a lot of what the web is like now. For example, HTTPS was only used for money transactions in 2008. Nowadays it's used for page authentication everywhere.

Good luck!

Dennis

--------------------

PC_User
post Sep 18 2017, 01:51 PM
Post#19

@PhilS

Easier for who? My computer? I have a spreadsheet to download End Of Day (EOD) data from the Yahoo Finance API and a spreadsheet to download the Intraday End Of Day (IEOD) data from the Google Finance API and I don't experience any stress or strain in using them. Someone here said that the code in MS Excel is VBA, which is similar to VB6, not VB.NET yet the VBA code in the spreadsheets seem to easily download the data.

@PhilS stated:
You are probably right about this. However, I would expect it to be much easier with VB.Net because the .Net Framework has been designed with the internet in mind and has many built-in classes to deal with Web-APIs directly.

I think though, that I will try to make a prototype by using MS Access. This forum has a wealth of examples on using MS Access and I haven't been able to find any website with as many examples of using VB.NET. Also the learning curve for me to learn VB.NET and the Google and Yahoo APIs code for VB.NET is extremely steep.

@doctor9 stated:
I'm just trying to understand what you're trying to accomplish by going this route. Is this a cost issue? Or is there something more going on here?
Based on this discussion and your previous one here, it appears that you want to somehow download stock information from Google, but without using an Office application like Access or Excel as a base.

Maybe you guys forgot that in my original post that I introduced my self as an amateur programmer and I've used VBA in MS Access for my projects before I retired. My introduction in my first post will answer that question about my intentions. As for creating a database in my other post, I can do that in MS Access and create a link to the tables in my VB6 Development Software. I was thinking about a place to store my downloaded data and an MS Access table would be a good place to put it.

The Google IEOD data that is downloaded is in a format that needs to be processed. It's not a straight forward CSV format and the Excel spreadsheet that I posted links to, has a way to process that data to a usable format for my trading analysis platform. Also in that post that you are referencing, I was going to try to learn VB.NET, but was told that my project would better be done in VB6. Now that I'm trying to use VB6, I'm being told to learn VB.NET. I'm a little confused about how to get help from this forum. My introduction should help to explain my background and my intentions for my postings.

--------------------
Regards,
PC User

EspressoWillie
post Sep 18 2017, 02:21 PM
Post#20

@PC_User,
I didn't see any comments about staying in VBA option in my previous post. That you can do now, no additional software to buy.
Personally, after following all the posts here, I don't see a reason to go to VB6 or VB.net as Access will do everything you need (and more).
If you just want to learn something new, then you would need to setup that environment first. Then we can answer more questions for you.

--------------------
Cheers!!

Willie McClure
www.datarim.com

2 Pages V  1 2 >

Custom Search
RSSSearch   Top   Lo-Fi    12th December 2017 - 07:12 AM