UtterAccess.com
X   Site Message
(Message will auto close in 2 seconds)

Welcome to UtterAccess! Please ( Login   or   Register )

Custom Search

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Send/receive Editable Report By Email, Access 2007    

Kruzer
post Sep 12 2017, 09:41 AM
Post#1

Is it possible to send a report to clients that they can edit and send back to me via email? I currently send the reports to .pdf and then separate them out for the individual clients I can email it to and then print the rest. I now have more clients to do this for and thinking about a way to make this easier for them as well as myself.

--------------------
Cheers,
Go to the top of the page

doctor9
post Sep 12 2017, 09:49 AM
Post#2

UtterAccess Editor

Kruzer,

It might make sense to design the report in Excel, and use the Data tab->From Access option from the ribbon to extract what you need from the database. That way you can format things just right, and set up protections for the workbook/sheets so the users only edit what they should before saving and sending it back. There's an option to "Unlink" the data before you send it out, so the user doesn't get prompted to update the linked information. You can also use VBA to make sure they filled in everything that needs to be filled in. Lots of users are familiar with Excel, so you probably wouldn't need to educate them on HOW to enter data, save and send it back.

Just a thought.

Dennis

--------------------
(;,;) Li'l Cthulu says: Please talk about what you're trying to do, as well as how you're doing it.
Changing your real table name to "Table1" and your real form name to "Form1" in your posts makes it more difficult to understand what's going on, not easier.
Guidelines for Posting Questions

Kruzer
post Sep 12 2017, 10:20 AM
Post#3

Interesting thought...thanks.

I don't suppose the design of a report can be exported to Excel? Haven't look but don't remember seeing anything in my development initiatives.

--------------------
Cheers,

doctor9
post Sep 12 2017, 10:50 AM
Post#4

UtterAccess Editor

Kruzer,

Probably simpler to print out a sample report, then create a worksheet based on that look and feel. It shouldn't be too bad, depending on what the report looks like. If you have varying number of records in the "Detail" section, and a set of controls in any footers, your worksheet design will need to take that into consideration. Either design it for a large number of possible rows (with some being blank) or use VBA to insert/delete rows depending on how many detail records need to be displayed.

Hope this helps,

Dennis

--------------------
(;,;) Li'l Cthulu says: Please talk about what you're trying to do, as well as how you're doing it.
Changing your real table name to "Table1" and your real form name to "Form1" in your posts makes it more difficult to understand what's going on, not easier.

Kruzer
post Sep 12 2017, 11:01 AM
Post#5

Sounds good. Thanks Dennis.

--------------------
Cheers,

Kruzer
post Nov 20 2017, 10:28 AM
Post#6

My report has a lot of If statements in the controls. Is this still doable to export to excel report? Can you refer me to an example?

--------------------
Cheers,

doctor9
post Nov 21 2017, 09:09 AM
Post#7

UtterAccess Editor

Kruzer,

Try moving the IF statements to the Query instead, and bind the textbox to the expression, rather than having the expression in the control.

Hope this helps,

Dennis

--------------------

Kruzer
post Nov 28 2017, 04:32 PM
Post#8

Thank you.

--------------------
Cheers,

JonSmith
post Nov 28 2017, 05:43 PM
Post#9

I'd also advocate reports in MS Word these days, since 2007 you have been able to find content controls to underlying XML data thats really easy to read and you can set up all the same protections as Excel but present in more of a 'report' way, since 2013 they also added a 'repeating content control' to handle repeating data.

JS

Kruzer
post Nov 29 2017, 09:49 PM
Post#10

Jon, can you provide some links that show how to do this?

--------------------
Cheers,

JonSmith
post Nov 30 2017, 11:00 AM
Post#11

This is an example of pushing data to a Word file, the same can be done to pull data from it, you can protect the document so that only the content controls can be edited.
There is an XML file embedded into the Word file which you can see in the screenshot. My code in MSAccess can update that XML.
The demo I made was meant to show how to handle images which can be stored as plain text. I also made a plain text box too.

I created my own addin to manage the XML in Word since in 2007/2010 it wasn't great. 2013 is much better though as you can see.
Attached File(s)
Attached File  TestPush.zip ( 270.09K )Number of downloads: 3
Attached File  Capture.PNG ( 37.8K )Number of downloads: 2

Kruzer
post Nov 30 2017, 11:32 AM
Post#12

Thanks Jon. I'll take a look.

--------------------
Cheers,

Kruzer
post Dec 10 2017, 11:17 AM
Post#13

My report has subreports. Is this still doable?

--------------------
Cheers,

Custom Search
RSSSearch   Top   Lo-Fi    12th December 2017 - 03:08 AM