UtterAccess.com
X   Site Message
(Message will auto close in 2 seconds)

Welcome to UtterAccess! Please ( Login   or   Register )

Custom Search
3 Pages V < 1 2 3  (Go to first unread post)
   Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Network Interruption Error, Access 2010    

Brepea
post Oct 2 2017, 09:55 AM
Post#41

Ok - just checking all possibilities. And I thought the add-in was relevant as it's got to do with bluetooth and some referecnces to other office applications crashing...https://support.microsoft.com/en-gb/help/2849035/office-program-crashes-caused-by-btmofficea-dll-or-btmoffice-dll

I will just try to tell users to use n and check what the feasibility is to get Citrix to all users...
Go to the top of the page

Brepea
post Oct 3 2017, 06:12 AM
Post#42

Oh shucks...i thought I had resolved the speed issues, but it so happens following test 2 today the most basic functionality of loading a search form with no more than 90 rows is 'drawing' the screen and loads in a continuous form line by line - and then when scrolling it draws too...

I'm exhausted...

GroverParkGeorge
post Oct 3 2017, 06:56 AM
Post#43

UA Admin

Yes, you have a problem.

It is probably not within Access.

It is most likely something in your network, or possibly an anti-virus.

Ask your IT support for "REAL" support.

--------------------

GroverParkGeorge
post Oct 3 2017, 06:56 AM
Post#44

UA Admin

Are there any lookups in any controls in that continuous form? Calculated fields?

--------------------

Brepea
post Oct 3 2017, 07:08 AM
Post#45

I've gone as minimalist as one can go...

1) someone clicks a cmdbutton to search for risks
2) the maximum number of rows that could be displayed is 100, but on click of cmdSearch i've set the query criteria to look at at what teamID the staff is from - then it loads the search form which is a main form with subform in it (the subform is unbound as is the main form)) - but as i said i set the query criteria to look at teamID.
3) I do have conditional formatting on two columns/fields (but really - this can't be the cause - i mean that's shocking if so).

There are about 8 different options (via cboBoxes) for uses to further filter the data in continuous form. After each selection in cboBoxe the afterUpdate event requeries the recordsource.

I've actually got a massive headache...i'm going down to try work out if Citrix will make a difference or not, but i just can't work out why this is happening...I will post some actual forms and code / queries behind them if anyone can help i would be so grateful...

GroverParkGeorge
post Oct 3 2017, 07:19 AM
Post#46

UA Admin

If your IT Support has categorically ruled out network problems, and if you are sure no anti-virus software or other third-party software is running, you are left with problems in your application.

At this point, I'd say start eliminating those combo boxes from the form (do this on a backup of that form, of course). Add them back, one at a time, and watch what happens with load times.

Did you say none of the controls are calculated--i.e. all are bound to fields in the underlying table? And the query doesn't include any lookups, aggregates or calculations?

--------------------

Brepea
post Oct 3 2017, 07:39 AM
Post#47

They have said that it's not the greatest network...and other systems have demonstrated latency issues.

I will post some of the visual stuff i'm trying to achieve and maybe it is my application...i am keen to work out where the issue is...

GroverParkGeorge
post Oct 3 2017, 07:47 AM
Post#48

UA Admin

....and other systems have demonstrated latency issues.

In truth, Access is a "chatty" application that does lead the pack when network problems arise. So, when other applications have problems -- and IMO these are problems, not "issues" -- that's a not-so-good sign of a significant problem.

To me, what you are doing is trying to compensate for problems that are simply not within your power to address. I am not trying to minimize the need to do what you can do, not at all. It's important to do what you can do, just don't beat yourself up over it since it's not under your control anyway.

And, I must have missed your direct answer. No calculated controls on the slow continuous form? No lookups in controls on the slow continuous form?

--------------------

Brepea
post Oct 3 2017, 08:04 AM
Post#49

And that's just it Grover...i'm not sure - i mean i thought I had quite a decent app sorted, but now i'm almost producing something unusable.

There were originally some Dcount ([id],"","") - which i changed to DCount ("*","","") - but I went through the exercise of cleaning these out by adding the table joins to queries where possible (I think all but one).

There are some unbound calculated textboxes... I will post the bits on here shortly as i really need some help...

Brepea
post Oct 3 2017, 08:17 AM
Post#50

Intertingly, during the test we had one user who logged in to application via VPN and had no issues - i.e. maybe a little slower, but still usuable for him in respect of an application. I will go down route of attempting to get Access Runtime added to their Citrix application and then install Citrix on each user's desktop (well - first need to make sure they will allow this) - and i guess hopefully i last that long to test it out...

While that IT request is going through I will really appreciate any help with the forms / queries i send through shortly...

Brepea
post Oct 3 2017, 08:32 AM
Post#51

Having Citrix in place instead - would this solve the speed issue or unlikely to solve that? I'm sure it will solve the WAN/LAN Network Interruption issues right?

Minty
post Oct 3 2017, 09:06 AM
Post#52

If the network connection between the Citrix /RDP server and the BE database is a pile of pants then it won't help.
If they are on local Gigabit LAN without any obvious bottlenecks, then it should be rock solid and fast.

Citrix or Terminal Server or anything else like it, is only ever going to be able to present what's available to it.

Brepea
post Oct 3 2017, 09:44 AM
Post#53

Can I ask - would the speed have anything to do with how i am setting my record source for the form? I.e. at present the control source is unbound; when user does something then the subform's record source is set via VBA to a query. Would setting this record source be any quicker / more efficient using DAO?

Minty
post Oct 3 2017, 10:17 AM
Post#54

Highly unlikely to have any effect.
I think that DAO is the default underlying method for recordsets, unless you specify otherwise.

You are suffering from poor network connectivity, and anything you do will only be sticking a small plaster on the underlying massive crack in the wall of the dam.

Access is probably the most network intolerant of all the Office applications, simply because it moves live data around over the network constantly, whenever a form is being used, assuming you are using normal bound objects.
Almost everything else you do within MS Office environment is done locally, then possibly saved once in a blue moon back over the network.

That is why the general rule of thumb is - don't try and use Access over a WAN.

Brepea
post Oct 3 2017, 10:29 AM
Post#55

Ok - but taking WAN / or wifi out of the equation - so all users have the LAN/ethernet cable plugged in - we still experience same speed issues...

This is what i've been advised by other "Access Pros in the IT Dept":

(1) Keep the connection alive, in code create a static reference to the connection and use that reference whenever you have to query. This saves loading time every time you have to query. The risk with this though is if the user keeps the database open for an extended period of time on a single record. There is risk of data corruption. (2) DAO is faster than ADO for access. (3) Try to create as many as the queries as possible rather than coding them and then ‘build’ them. Access can ‘optimise’ the query then

Doesn't the hidden form I have to make the persistent connection 'keep the connection alive'? I generally have queries which my forms look to (thinking that have the query on the FE makes it quicker)...not quite sure what they mean by 'having as manay queries rather than coding (i get that) - but then "and then build them" - i don't get.

Brepea
post Oct 4 2017, 12:59 AM
Post#56

Ok - i've now done some screen grabbing and some detail behind said form as per .pptx

Attached File  SearchForm.zip ( 572.99K )Number of downloads: 6

Minty
post Oct 4 2017, 04:13 AM
Post#57

That is a quite comprehensive look behind the scenes.
I would say that based on the screenshot of your form, and the underlying query, you have quite a complex set of interactions going on there, and some calculated fields that may have an overhead.

How many underlying records would you say the unfiltered recordset has on average?

Do you do any editing on that form? If you don't then you can just load it as a snapshot, which is effectively as disconnected recordset.

Brepea
post Oct 4 2017, 04:16 AM
Post#58

No editing and max (at present) of 90 rows...unlikely to exceed 500

Minty
post Oct 4 2017, 04:22 AM
Post#59

Well as I said if it's not being edited load it into a locally disconnected recordset. Add a refresh button, to allow the user to reload the data.

Although you aren't currently using a non-access backend this article is very interesting from a performance perspective, and you may be reaching a stage where a SQL or MySQL backend could be helpful
http://dymeng.com/azure-series-05-database-performance/
Blatantly stolen from this thread http://www.UtterAccess.com/forum/index.php...2045607&hl=

GroverParkGeorge
post Oct 4 2017, 07:56 AM
Post#60

UA Admin

Page three of your PPT shows a query with more than one Aggregate function in it, DCount("*", "t_Action", etc....)

As I mentioned early on, Aggregate functions are likely not to perform well. See if you can get the desired results by using subqueries.

--------------------

3 Pages V < 1 2 3

Custom Search
RSSSearch   Top   Lo-Fi    15th December 2017 - 08:37 PM