UtterAccess.com
X   Site Message
(Message will auto close in 2 seconds)

Welcome to UtterAccess! Please ( Login   or   Register )

Custom Search

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Multi Use Db Broken References, Access 2007    

soggycashew
post Sep 22 2017, 07:34 AM
Post#1

Ok, I have a database at work on our server and only one person is on it at a time and only about 5 people use it total and the odds of two people on it at the same time are slim to none and everyone here has 2007 MS access. Now one of the employees got a new PC with a upgraded version of Access 2016 and when they open the database it changes the references to 16.0 Object Library from 12.0 and it works on that machine then when the users on the machines with the 2007 access open the DB none of the querys work ect because of the broken reference to Object Library 12.0 and Irun a debug and im missing for some reason Microsoft Outlook 12.0 Object Library. Once I uncheck the broken 16.0 broken reference and get the Microsoft Outlook 12.0 Object Library everything works in 2007 again until the user in access 2016 opens it again.

Here is my question, can I clear broken references and install Microsoft Outlook 12.0 Object Library using VBA On Load of the DB? eventually we all will have the 2016 but that wont be for another year or so...

Thanks,
Go to the top of the page

theDBguy
post Sep 22 2017, 08:14 AM
Post#2

Access Wiki and Forums Moderator

Hi,

Is your database split? If not, split it first and your problem might go away.

--------------------
Just my 2 cents... "And if I claim to be a wise man, it surely means that I don't know" - Kansas
Microsoft Access MVP | Access Website | Access Blog | Email

soggycashew
post Sep 22 2017, 08:21 AM
Post#3

OkI split it and tried it on the 2016 PC then on a PC running 2007 and I get the broken references still...
Attached File(s)
Attached File  Missing.JPG ( 47.28K )Number of downloads: 2

theDBguy
post Sep 22 2017, 09:25 AM
Post#4

Did you provide each user their own copy of the front end? A properly split database means you put the backend file on a network share and all users have their own copy of the front end. Is that what you did?

--------------------
Just my 2 cents... "And if I claim to be a wise man, it surely means that I don't know" - Kansas

GroverParkGeorge
post Sep 22 2017, 09:37 AM
Post#5

UA Admin

PMFJI:

Access WILL upgrade Office Library References from OLDER versions, (i.e. Access 2016 will upgrade from 2007) every time you open the accdb in that newer version. Every time.

Unfortunately, Access WILL NOT downgrade Office Library references to OLDER versions ( i.e. from Office 2016 to 2007).

That means you will be doing this broken references dance every time your users open a shared accdb or open a shared accdb FE. Every time.

The only solution is, as theDBguy has pointed out, is to split the accdb into an FE file with only the interface elements and a BE with only the tables.

Put the shared BE in a network location where all users can link to it.

Give each user their own, personal, exclusive copy of the FE and make sure they run it from their own computer, not from a shared location where others can change it.

--------------------

soggycashew
post Sep 22 2017, 10:21 AM
Post#6

Ok so let me get this right... I have a .accdb access file on my shared drive. I split this database and access renames the backend beSomething and I put it where everyone can get it. Next the original .accdb file is now the FE so I take that and give everyone a copy for their PC.

What I did was had the user use the FE from where I split the DB and I used the same FE, is this why my references didn't work? Am I getting the above correct?

Thanks,

theDBguy
post Sep 22 2017, 10:29 AM
Post#7

Yes, you're correct. By having all users open the same file from the same location, as soon as the 2016 user opens it, it changes the file and renders it unusable for everybody else. Instead, if everyone has their own copy of the file for their own use, any changes they make to their own copy won't affect everybody else.

--------------------

soggycashew
post Sep 22 2017, 11:56 AM
Post#8

Thanks guys...

soggycashew
post Sep 22 2017, 12:32 PM
Post#9

Ok guys the split and putting the FE on the PC got rid of the reference issue now I have a different issue. My database uses images from a folder that was always with the database and now that the FE is on the desktops and the BE is separate I don't get images using the function below...

CODE
Public Function GetCurrentPath() As String

'Gets path of current DB
           GetCurrentPath = Application.CurrentProject.Path '& "\"

End Function

GroverParkGeorge
post Sep 22 2017, 12:39 PM
Post#10

UA Admin

You'll have to put the images in a shared folder on the network.

You'll have to change the path to them to the UNC path to that folder. Don't use a mapped drive because one or more of your users might have different mappings.

--------------------

soggycashew
post Sep 25 2017, 05:28 PM
Post#11

Ok, its working with both versions and we can see the images using the VBA below..... One last question, Well two. If I need to update the FE how do I get everyone's FE updated and same goes for if I want to add tables or fields ect...

As it stands what I did was on the shared drive I created a FE folder and a BE folder. The BE folder has my image folder with images and the FE folder has my FE that I use to give everyone copy's of the database. Now what happens if someone opens the FE not in design View and their running 2016 and I grab a copy to give out with it be messed up like before?

GroverParkGeorge
post Sep 25 2017, 06:16 PM
Post#12

UA Admin

Well, I'd say the answer is DON'T do that. Keep your master copy in a location where only you can get to it.

Deploy it only when you are ready.

There are several methods of deployment, including a few here in our archives.

If someone gets to, and messes up a deployment copy, replace it with your master.

--------------------

soggycashew
post Sep 25 2017, 06:45 PM
Post#13

Do I have to upkeep my database and improve it in the version it was built in (2007) and you say keep the master copy, so the FE I can just put on my PC and not have it with the other files?

DanielPineault
post Sep 25 2017, 06:59 PM
Post#14

UtterAccess VIP

What I do normally, is place the files in a central location and then use a simple vbscript to launch the database. The script first copies a fresh copy from the central location to a local directory and then launches it. This way, when I update the copy on the central location, the user's automatically get the new version.

You may wish to review:

https://www.devhut.net/2010/08/24/ms-access...-your-database/
https://www.devhut.net/2017/04/09/setting-u...ccess-database/

--------------------
Daniel Pineault (2010-2017 Microsoft MVP)
Professional Help: http://www.cardaconsultants.com
Free MS Access Code, Tips, Tricks and Samples: http://www.devhut.net

* Design should never say "Look at me". It should always say "Look at this". -- David Craib
* A user interface is like a joke, if you have to explain it, it's not that good! -- Martin LeBlanc

All code samples, demonstration databases, links,... are provided 'AS IS' and are to be used at your own risk! Take the necessary steps to check, validate ...

GroverParkGeorge
post Sep 25 2017, 07:04 PM
Post#15

UA Admin

Yes, as long as anyone in your user group is using Access 2007, you need to continue to develop in that version. Of course you can move to a newer version once everyone else is on at least that newer version.

As Daniel describes, the deployment versions of FE and BE are in a central location for distribution.

--------------------

Custom Search
RSSSearch   Top   Lo-Fi    11th December 2017 - 12:56 AM