UtterAccess.com
X   Site Message
(Message will auto close in 2 seconds)

Welcome to UtterAccess! Please ( Login   or   Register )

Custom Search

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Access 2016 Runtime Question, Access 2016    

shcsbaker
post Sep 22 2017, 09:56 AM
Post#1

working on a database where I will have customers login to a server via remote desktop, each user will have their own database in their own folder, but all will run the same access runtime .exe. the current database problem we are using will allow 300 concurrent .exe to run, meaning, I can have up to 300 different customer login and use their database. Does Access 2016 Runtime have a similar limitation and if so, what's the limit.

Again each customer will have their own database in their own folder, so I'm not sharing a database.

Thanks,
Kevin
Go to the top of the page

ranman256
post Sep 22 2017, 11:05 AM
Post#2

That should work , but Ive never seen 300 users on it at the same time.
Will they ALL be on it simultaneously?

LPurvis
post Sep 22 2017, 11:09 AM
Post#3

UtterAccess Editor

When I first read your question, I thought something alone the lines of:
"I'm no RD expert, but my understanding is that the server creates unique Windows session instances for each user, so the real maximum will be what the server supports. Active users, and the hardware behind it to support that. 300 is quite a lot."

But then, I've re-read and wonder...
>> each user will have their own database in their own folder
By that do you mean their own front end, all connecting to the a single database? Or actually their own distinct database, separate from the others and not in any way connected?
If the latter, then all should be fine (see earlier caveat). But the former, then is it a server database? If not, you'll hit the maximum connections permitted to an MDB/ACCDB long before that. (Technically 255, but it's extremely unlikely you'd get that many even.)

Cheers

--------------------

shcsbaker
post Sep 22 2017, 11:23 AM
Post#4

We have right at 400 customers right now across the US, and I doubt we've have more than 50 or 60 at one time, but as we continue to grow and gain customers at least knowing the limit would be nice.

shcsbaker
post Sep 22 2017, 11:26 AM
Post#5

I'm not a RD expert either, but since the existing db had a limit on it's runtime, I just guessed the same would be the same for Access. They each have their own distinct database, separate and not connected in any way. They only they that is shared is the runtime.exe

Thanks,
Kevin

AlbertKallal
post Sep 22 2017, 06:04 PM
Post#6

UtterAccess VIP

You be just fine. The beauty here is only one install of the runtime is required.

And assuming “session” based, then recent servers such as 2016 do a spectacular job in terms of memory management.

So, no limit on the runtime. However, your server will of course need the required ram + horsepower.

Of course if the application has email buttons, then you have a problem since clicking on such options will attempt to launch outlook on the server. For this reason I wrote a custom RDP channel – now clicking on any email button launches Outlook on the client computer.

Regards,
Albert D. Kallal (Access MVP, 2003-2017)
Edmonton, Alberta Canada
kallal@msn.com

shcsbaker
post Sep 23 2017, 04:27 AM
Post#7

Albert,

Thanks for the insight. I also sent you a message.

Thanks again,
Kevin

Custom Search
RSSSearch   Top   Lo-Fi    15th December 2017 - 03:10 AM